It wasn't just any other Filipino restaurant, it was a Noli Me Tangere themed restaurant.
Last Friday, my tita and my dad planned a pre-Christmas lunch together in Eastwood Mall. Given my blog, my parents turned to me for restaurant suggestions and I immediately chimed in, "Crisostomo! RJ and I ate here before and we loved it."
RJ's a history buff and a big fan of our national hero, Jose Rizal, thus eating in Crisostomo was like love at first sight for us. Too bad I wasn't able to take pictures of our first time there so I was more than willing to eat there for a second time. Yes!
With their illuminated Maria Clara, Crisostomo Ibarra and other Noli Me Tangere character drawings and paintings, the restaurant feels like you're walking right into the pages of Jose Rizal's novel but with a modern and sophisticated twist.
Crisostomo, like other Chef Florabel Co restaurants, is named after her family member, this time her husband, Christopher. It is a Filipino restaurant that incorporates other cultures that have influenced our national cuisine - Spanish, American, Japanese and Chinese.
In order to learn what Filipinos ate at the turn of the century, Chef Florabel turned to Dr. Jose Rizal's novels for food inspiration, Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo. Many of her dishes are drawn from the dinner party thrown by Capitan Tiago in the first novel.
Chef Co then named most of her dishes after Noli Me Tangere characters like Crazy Sisa Squid (Green Mango with Crispy Squid Salad), Tadyang ni Tiago (Crispy Beef Tadyang) and Elias (Angus rib eye).
![]() |
| Mango Tamarind Iced Tea (left); Banana Shake (right) |
By the way, these drinks aren't on the menu so you need to ask your waiter regarding their drink selection.
![]() |
| Ensaladang Erehe (Php195) |
![]() |
| Sinang Con Laing - Gabi Leaves with Coconut Cream (Php195) |
![]() |
| San Lucas - Grilled Panga ng Tuna (Php175/100 grams) |
You can opt to have it grilled with coconut milk too but we decided against it. Honestly I would have also preferred it without sugar but with butter instead. I still like our home grilled version better.
![]() |
| Yaman Dagat - Assorted Seafoods (Php525) (top); Ilo-Ilo - Chicken Inasal (Php250) (bottom) |
My dad wanted a variety of seafoods so he ordered their Yaman Dagat dish. This includes tilapia, prawns, tahong, squid, bangus cooked in coconut cream sauce & lemon grass. We were a little disappointed at how small the serving was. This was just okay.
We also had an order of their Chicken Inasal, Ilo-Ilo, for my younger cousin. I didn't get to taste it but she liked it so much that we ordered another Chicken Inasal just for her. Yes, having a huge appetite runs in the family. :) Yes, having a huge appetite runs in some members of the family. (My brother corrected me on this note since it doesn't apply to the entire family. Hahaha.)
![]() |
| Don Rafael - Crispy Pata with Garlic Sauce and Soy Vinegar (Php550) |
Even though we're so accustomed to eat in Chinese restaurants for our family get togethers, eating in Crisostomo was definitely a nice change in routine. Not only did it serve praiseworthy Filipino dishes, it also revived nostalgic high school memories and reignited our love for Dr. Jose Rizal's novels.
Definitely, Crisostomo is one of my favorite Eastwood restaurants. :)
More Info on Crisostomo:
Address: 2/F Eastwood Mall Veranda, E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave., Bagumbayan, Libis, Quezon City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Me
Menu: Click Me
Budget: Php350-500/head Contact Number: (02) 710-1693
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Other Eastwood Restaurants:
Kogi Bulgogi: Korean Restaurant, Eastwood, Reunion & Friends
Cookbook Kitchen: Where Homecooking Reigns as King in the Menu
Cyma: You had me at "Opa!"
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~










12 comments:
wow! i love ensalada.. namiss ko tuloy kumain ng manggang hilaw.. hehe
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
a memorable dish from that novel is the tinola. padre damaso was served the neck and wing(least desirable parts because it's bony and has little meat) while ibarra was served the liver and gizzard (parts served to honored guests).
funny how a simple comfort dish was used to show the host's regard for his guests.
how many florabelle co's restaurant have you been into.
hahaha my mom and i ate here Christmas Day! it's our namesake, too! super sarap ng kare-kare nila! love at first sight too! :)
Hi Becky! :D
It's amazing how chefs gain food inspiration from novels. :) And I agree, it's amazing how food reveals the relationship between people.
Thanks for sharing your comment :) I want to read my Noli Me Tangere again
Hi John Ray,
I ate in Cafe Ten Titas before but it's no longer around. I havent tried other Florabelle Co's restaurants. How about you? :)
I haven't tried their Kare-Kare. I wanted to during the family lunch but everyone else wanted some other dish. I'll come back for that dish :)
Sayang, di tayo nagkita, we were one day apart :)
sayang nga missed u by a day! hahaha try the kare-kare next time kulang nga lang sila sa ox tripe but the peanut sauce was THE BEST! :)
ang naalala ko lang na pagkain sa Noli Me Tangere eh yung tawilis na pinapakain ni Sisa sa mga anak nya. may tawilis ba dyan? hehe
grabe, hindi kayo masyadong mahilig sa food!!!! parang may fiesta lang sa dami ng pagkain! wooot! :D
Sayang nga! Next time kain tayo together Mai :D
Hey Jayvie!
Hmmm parang wala akong naalalang tawilis! oo nga noh. :)
haha nakakatawa yung mga family get together, wala ng ginawa kung hindi kumain nang kumain!
Hi Rackell,
I love manggang hilaw too! kahit asin lang, panalo na :)
Happy new year!
Post a Comment