Yesterday, I judged a cook off in GMA 7's Unang Hirit with fellow food bloggers and chefs. Yes, it was definitely a great breakfast!
If you missed out on the show, here's a rough recording of the segment taken at home. My mom missed the start of the 2nd half of the segment though. Sorry! Hope you enjoy the video though. :)
*pictures 1 and 10 courtesy of Lori Baltazar
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
The cook off was between two all-male teams: Chef Nino Logarta and Chef Jonah Trinidad of Pino Kitchen Studio (Team 1) vs. Chef Joey Herrera and Chef Francis Tarin of Loop Creative Dining (Team 2). They were then judged by an all female panel of chefs and food bloggers: Lori of Dessert Comes First, Dahlia of Energy Lounge, Chef Rosebud of Quickfire and Smarla of Everyday Sweet Notes. :)
For the first round, both teams were tasked to make a soup. We were first served with Team 2's light pink salmon sitting on top of a curry coconut broth with noodles. This was indeed very spicy and I enjoyed the richness of the soup. It needed a bit of salt though but the salmon was cooked to perfection. It was so tender, I was tempted to finish it all by myself during the break. Of course I was trying to be proper so I didn't. :P
The chefs of Pino Kitchen Studio cooked up a miso soup that had such flavor depth. At first sip it tasted clear and clean, then salty, then the flavors of the vegetables then the prawns became evident. It's like traveling from one taste to another. It's amazing! Yuum! Round 1 went to Team 1.
![]() |
| Team 1 (left): Yakiniku Platter Team 2 (right): Wagyu Beef Yakiniku |
After waiting for around 30-45 minutes, our segment in Unang Hirit was back on air. The next part was a Yakiniku Challenge. The chefs of Loop Creative Dining originally wanted to cook the wagyu beef right in front us but they weren't advised to do so to avoid any unwanted incidents on air. Awww. :( Anyway, they served the classic beef Yakiniku but they used Wagyu beef so it tasted so delicious like bacon. Yuuum!
Team 1, on the other hand, prepared an artistically designed Yakiniku Platter which included grilled beef, pork, squid, prawns, mushrooms, pineapples and bell peppers. The dish had so many elements that everyone in the panel felt so ecstatic whenever they would find another ingredient, "They also have squid! Try it!" The great thing about it is that all of the ingredients had their own unique flavors which harmonized and contributed to the overall greatness of this dish. Team 1 also bagged round 2!
So congratulations to the chefs of Pino Kitchen Studio, Chef Nino and Chef Jonah for winning the cook off that morning. I seriously want to eat in their restaurant now. Yuum! Of course Chef Joey and Chef Francis of Loop Creative Dining fought a good fight. I've been wanting to go to Loop since it was featured in other blogs. Overall, I feel so blessed to have 4 chefs cook my breakfast that morning. Yuum!
Of course, the show wouldn't have been possible without the GMA 7 staff, especially Gladice who contacted all of us to be part of the show. Thank you!
![]() |
| Chef Tristan |
Thank you also to the 3 hosts of the cook off from GMA 7. They all did such a great job!
The experience wouldn't be complete without the all female panelists. It was a comfort to meet Lori and Dahlia again. I love them! I'm also grateful that I met the friendly Chef Rosebud of Quickfire. I enjoyed the off air dialogues with all of them. :)
I also want to thank all four chefs, Chef Nino, Chef Jonah, Chef Joey and Chef Francis for waking up so early and cooking outside their kitchens just to serve us the most amazing food for breakfast. Definitely a great way to start the day! I can't wait to visit your restaurants soon to have some more of your cooking. Yuuum!
Finally, I want to thank all of my friends, family members (even those in other countries and provinces) and my dear Everyday Sweet Notes readers for making this possible. :) It's certainly an experience I owe to my dear readers. Thank you. :)
*pictures 1 and 10 courtesy of Lori Baltazar
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~









23 comments:
Hi Mark,
Of course, feel free to share this blog entry to the ICF and Loop family. Also, please send my regards to Chef Joey and Chef Francis. We had such an amazing breakfast that day. I'll make sure to try Loop one of these days :)
Smarla
Hi Smarla,
Finally I saw traces of memories of that day. May I share this with Chef Joey Herrera and the rest of the ICF and Loop family? It's too early for some of us that they missed this episode.
Kudos to you,
Mark A. Dar Santos
Marketing Head
Institute of Culinary Arts and Food Service /
Loop Creative Dining
wow sooo cool! congrats! must be a fun to be in that show and eat all those delicious food!
waah! i'm so inggit smarla! tita dahlia also invited me kaya lang my flight to manila wasn't until tuesday evening. :( congrats! :) mercato tayo uli soon!
hahahahaha! wala kaming air time para mambati eh :P sige, sali na lang akong mga game show para may air time bumati. haha joke :)
Haha, sobrang nice experience pero di ko yung magagawa kung wala yung Team Kaladkarin support :D mahal ko kayo!
Nandun si Chef Tristan! siya yung nag interview sa 2nd part. nasa bandang dulong pics din siya :D
Yuuup ang ganda niya :)
thank you so much Mai! :D salamat talaga!
hahaha sira ka talaga :)) thanks porqi!
Yup buti na lang talaga nandun ka :)
Super pretty niya in person :) At really nice rin :)
artista ka na smarla, susunod batiin mo naman ako on air. :)
super duper to the highest leveling level up ka na talaga Smarsmar!!!!!!!!!! di ka na namin ma-reach!!!!!!!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeh!!!!!!!!!!!
what a good way to start talaga your 2011! tv star ka na! hihihi :D
at nameet mo si Chef Rosebud!!!!!!!!!!!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeh! wala si Chef Tristan?? hihi :D
wow naman Smarla...di lang pang blog, pang-GMA na rin hahaha congrats mah friend! :))
Yes naman! :D Sikat.
Awww... so sweet Smarla! Thanks! It was great seeing you again and meeting Lori too!
Hi there, smarla wow celeb kna rin pla hehe .. I always watch chef rosebud of quickfire ,, ;)
Wow, congrats, Smarla! Ibang level na. Sa uulitin.
Ganda talaga ni Chef Rosebud.
hahaha, sana! :D panalo yun pag nangyari. *crosses fingers*
yes it was really an unforgettable experience. 2011 has been so generous so far :) sana tuloy tuloy lang :)
pagaling ka na ah!
sana lagi na lang may nagluluto na chefs ng breakfast ko. :D ang sarap talaga :D
Wowowowow! Level-up na talaga! Bukas may show ka na talaga sa QTV! :D
I'm pretty sure it was an unforgettable experience for you! What a way to kick off 2011!
More to come!!! <3
Wow bigtime! Hahaha kakainggit....yung part ng pagkain haha.
yes it really was! :D i wish i always had chefs cook my breakfast for me. haha. thank you!
awww it's okay :) may next time pa yan *crosses fingers* sige sige :D
Post a Comment