The Pavlova Cake that put us all under a spell.
Heck, it's the only cake I'm craving for this Valentine's Day!
Richard, my editor-in-chief for Spark.ph asked me what I wanted to write about for their next issue, a love themed issue. Without even thinking twice, I told him, I want to write about Gayuma ni Maria!
![]() |
| Eirine Aguilar (owner of Gayuma ni Maria) with Smarla |
Gayuma ni Maria is an old time favorite back in the Katipunan area. I could even remember walking all the way to Gayuma with my blockmates for a slice of that sinful chocolate cake, Better than Sex. Despite their popularity amongst students, Gayuma closed down due to the frequent road constructions.
Late last year, Gayuma happily re-opened again along Maginhawa Street under a new banner, Gayuma ni Maria. Yes my fellow Katipunan kids, Gayuma is back! This restaurant holds so many fond memories that I begged my friend Gian to have dessert here last January.
A few days after, Richard approved my pitch so I scheduled an interview with the owner. So on the same month, I willingly placed myself under Gayuma ni Maria's spell twice.
Although I've already submitted my Gayuma ni Maria feature for Spark.ph, I decided to blog about it too. It's such a romantic restaurant and it deserves the top spot for my 14 Romantic Restaurants for Valentine's Day. After all, my family and I are going to have a Gayuma ni Maria take-out dinner tonight! Yaaay! I'll miss their spellbinding interiors though.
After all, walking in the restaurant for the first time was like love at first sight. The restaurant is a celebration of all things romantic with their subtle glowing lights, painted walls in romantic pink and purple hues and light floral table cloths.
If there isn't any event, customers may also choose to kick off their shoes and lounge around in their Japanese room, located at the 2nd floor. It's a cozy room, shamelessly promoting love with its black wall screaming with pink hearts. It makes a lovely backdrop for photographs!
The naughty at heart will truly rejoice at the dedicated Naughty Nook where customers can purchase kinky items. They even sell kinky cookies sometimes! (Please don't ask me to elaborate on these :P) For mystics, Gayuma ni Maria also shares love potions and aphrodisiac lists plastered all over the restaurant.
But of course, this love themed restaurant also offers a "bewitching gastronomical" adventure for foodies. Eirene was kind enough to offer us some of their best sellers for lunch.
Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from their rice meals since they're more popular for their desserts. Lo and behold, their rice meals, boasting of such generous servings, are also to die for - or better yet, to live for so I can eat even more of them!
![]() |
| Please Be Careful with my Heart (Php240) |
The softened garlic was reminiscent of Krazy Garlic's softened and tamed garlic which I love. It's so good on its own but it's even better rubbed on this absolutely tasty and moist chicken. The chicken is baked so beautifully that the meat gracefully falls off the bones. Eirene revealed that it takes a long baking time to achieve this.
With chicken this good, Gayuma ni Maria doesn't even need to cast a potion on me to keep me coming back for more!
![]() |
| Rock Me Baby! (Php215) |
My mom, who was my partner photographer for the day, had their Rock Me Baby!, "hickory bbq pork ribs served with vegetables & GAYUMA's famous mashed potato."
It was the first time I saw my mom eat with so much passion as she indulged in their tender pork ribs, drenched in lip smacking barbecue sauce. Paired with insanely delicious mashed potatoes, this is a dish that demands another visit. In fact, we're having this tonight too!
![]() |
| Pillow Fight (Php215) |
Since my mom and I didn't expect to extend up until lunch time in Gayuma ni Maria, we ordered coffee and desserts while waiting for Eirene to arrive for the interview. Yes, desserts come first!
Cheese fanatics will surely enjoy their Pillow Fight, "cheesy crepes like you've never had them before." The fruits on top wonderfully balances off the richness of this extremely creamy and cheesy crepe.
![]() |
| Beats Sex Any Day (Php75) |
A reincarnated Better than Sex cake, this Beats Sex Any Day chocolate cake now flaunts its butterscotch, cream and chocolate bits toppings. It's moist and chocolatey but I like the original Better than Sex cake more.
The dessert that I'm badly craving for this Valentine's Day is their seductive Twisted Pavlova cake (see cover photo). It's a heavenly light and foamy meringue cake topped off with luscious strawberry cream and the freshest and most succulent fruits. Wow. It's simply breathtaking. Too bad my sister just texted me that Gayuma ni Maria just ran out of this cake. NOOOOO! :O There goes my Valentine's cake :O
She also texted me that the restaurant is fully booked for the night. I guess when it comes to love and romance, Gayuma ni Maria is the place to go to.
We're avoiding the Valentine's Day traffic so my family and I (with our respective partners) will have a simple Gayuma ni Maria dinner at home. Even though we're missing out on their spellbinding ambiance tonight, I'm happy that we'll bring home some of their magic through their food.
Happy Valentine's Day guys! Don't forget to say I love you to the people you love. :) I love you guys!
PS. Thank you to Gian and my mom for accompanying me to Gayuma ni Maria visits. :)
Disclosure: Since my interview with Eirene extended up until lunch time, she offered us lunch for free. She gave us Please Be Careful with My Heart and Rock Me Baby. However, we paid for all of the desserts featured in this entry.
More Info on Gayuma ni Maria:
Address: 123 V. Luna Ext.(same street as Maginhawa Street), Sikatuna Vill., Quezon City,
Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
Contact: gayuma.gourmet@gmail.com, +639216818989
Operating Hours: Su: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 10:00 am - 11:00 pm
Budget: Php250/head
Payment: Cash, Visa, Mastercard
Outfit: Casual
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~









20 comments:
Not yet :D Talaga? Mixed reviews yung nabasa ko sa Once You Go Black. :) Haha Borough's chocolate chicken was weird. :P
Why not? :D Sobrang bad ba ng pictures? Medyo madilim nga sa place eh so mahirap mag take ng pictures. Baka naman pwede maenhance sa photoshop yung lighting? :)
Wooow! Sige I'll visit it Hazel :D
Thanks to you, I dragged myself to Maginhawa St. last night to have dinner here with a couple of friends.
Did you try the chocolate covered fish? I think it was called "Once You Go Black, You Can't Go Back" or something. Innovative, tasty and exciting. Waaaaaay better than that Borough's chicken...
And yeah, the pav was definitely something, though I found it a bit sweet for my liking. I loved the burnt edges though!
Still thinking if I should do a blogpost about it Smarla. Nahiya naman ako sa pictures that I took last night. :))
i always read this sa newspaper but never got to try it yet! inggit ako! mukhang masarap nga yung cake! btw, i made a new food blog haha =)
Yes it's really delicious :D
The Pavlova cakes looks yummy!
Pag food trip, ginagawa namin 1-2 dishes lang per restaurant tapos hatian para mura :D parang food tasting lang :)
Nakooooo.... magkano kaya ang magagastos natin each diyan sa Maginhawa stretch?? Hehehe.
Gaaaame! Kelan na ba North tour natin? :) Gusto ko kayo dalhin sa Maginhawa stretch.
Yup sobrang landi ng 2nd floor nila, hehehe. Kaya tuwang tuwa ako. At ang nakakatuwa pa is family owned restaurant siya so talaga feel na feel mo yung love. <3
Excited na ako sa Binondo, tuloy ba yun at sino kasama?
OK. I'm sold. I have to go and eat here! Isasama mo ba ito sa tour mo samin sa North? Hehehe. And I alsways appreciate restaurants who are creative with naming their food. Mas nararamdaman ko ang love and passion nila because they took extra time thinking of fun names for their food. Love love love. Pangalan pa lang pang-Valentines na! And I love their 3nd floor!!! So cute. Hihihi.
Talaga? Hanggang ngayon? :O
Yes masarap nga yung ribs. Sobrang tender ng pork :)
Share your experience when you do drop by :)
We should! :D kahit yung pavlova cake pa lang, panalo na :D
Hay salamat I am really having a hard time commenting through disqus hehe I will try Gayuma next time dahil mukhang masarap un ribs lol
xoxo
MrsM
hopefully, i can drop by here to try their food...
weehh.. super sarap naman ng food!!! pag nag food trip tayo sa QC try natin dyan ha.. please!!!
It's okay, I haven't been to a lot of Fort and Manila restaurants yet :P But yes, maraming must try places along Maginhawa
Try their pavlova cake rin :D suuuuuper sarap!
walking distance from my place but i never get to try this out. ang dami kong hindi pa na-try sa quezon city. i haven't been to maginhawa stretch even yet. :(
oh god, i love their BTS cake in the old Gayuma!! how i wish I can try this again.
Post a Comment