Thursday, August 19, 2010

How to Take Care of Your Love Ones When They're Sick

Last week, my 2 week mutating illness finally went away! It started from a dry throat, itchy throat, sore throat, no voice, fever, colds, dry cough, fever again to extreme body shaking cough. Finally, I'm well again and operating at 100%! It really sucked losing my voice. Here's a sound clip of my voice in the afternoon of the day I lost my voice: No Voice Day. On that morning, I literally could only utter one syllable!


However, my sister and my boyfriend are now showing symptoms of this mutating virus. My sister now has cough and colds. RJ texted me this morning that he was having sore throat. Everyone seems to be sick lately. 



I'm visiting him later during the day especially since he's sick. Okay, it might be a bit exaggerated but my virus mutated so much and lasted for two weeks. I just want to make sure it stays and ends as sorethroat for him. Plus, he always visits me when I'm sick. :)


Here are some tips in taking care of your loved one when they're sick:


1. Ask for their symptoms and for other relevant information
  • What are they feeling? What hurts? 
  • Do they have a fever? Is their throat itchy?
  • How long has it been?
  • What did they eat recently?
  • Did they undergo any strenuous activity?
2. Research  
    Here are some great sites to visit on researching on their symptoms:
   Once you've been able to pinpoint their sickness, research on how to cure it. If you're not sure or the symptoms are quite serious, go to the doctor with him. Don't play the guessing game.

3. Make a Care Package

    Nothing says "get well soon" more sweeter than a care package. This can include anything that can help him recover or help him go through the motions with the illness: medicines, towels, flowers, fruits, juices, candies, Gatorade (the cure for all! haha), books, DVDs, etc. It doesn't have to be too big or too expensive, just make sure it's relevant to the person. 


Here's my simple care package for RJ:
Since he has sore throat, I figured he needed to do a lot of gargling so I got him Bactidol and Salt. Bactidol is really effective for me. I'd like to believe it has helped me prevent a lot of blossoming illness in the past. The salt is for the salt solution since I read online that the best way to cure sore throat is by using salt water

Lastly I got him vitamin C for obvious reasons. Of course, I slipped in a little "get well soon" note in the package. :) That's the best part of the package! You can have this delivered to spice it up (but if he's really ill, he won't even notice) or deliver it yourself. 


4. Visit
     Yes, nothing beats a visit when your loved one is sick. The "specialness" of a visit is magnified when the other person is sick. Make time. 


5. Study how to avoid getting sick as well
     In as much as it so sweet to visit a sick loved one, make sure you don't get sick as well! Read up on this article before heading out for a visit: Article!


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

No comments: