Yesterday marked the anniversary of Typhoon Ondoy which hit Metro Manila and nearby provinces last year. I went around today and raw red ribbons and signs along Marcos Highway.
There were several protests held yesterday to remember the horrible tragedy last year. Our house wasn't spared from the massive flooding last year as well. There were rescue operations inside the village because the flood reached the roofs or the third floors of the houses in some streets. Good thing everyone our family was safe. Other families lost pets and even family members. :(
Here are some videos of last year's typhoon:
This video was shot around UERM Campus as cars just floated around due to the height and the strength of the water current.
This video was shot in Robinsons Metro East in Cainta as people got stranded inside the mall because the entire basement has turned into a swimming pool.
This video shows people from Marikina on their makeshift boats are they were being swept away by the monstrous river.
In as much as Ondoy caused so much havoc and trauma, it also created a room for people to become heroes in their own way. I heard so many fathers braving the floods just to reach their families. There were people, even young teenagers, who unselfishly rescued their neighbors and died after rescuing so many people. The tragedy cut through social classes and bred unsung heroes overnight.
It was definitely a nightmare typhoon which I really pray won't happen again. I'm also thankful in a way that despite what has happened, there's still a sense of hope in Filipino's hearts.
My friend Eum posted this photo yesterday on Facebook to thank everyone who gave of themselves to help all the victims. I'd also like to thank my friends as well who went to our house to help us clean and put us back on track to recovery.
Thank you to RJ too for being my Ondoy savior. I got stranded in my friend's condo for a couple of days since the roads were simply unpassable. He brought me clothes and food as well since we were stuck on the 11th floor with no working elevator. Thank you. Everyone became heroes in their own ways last year. As Mark Gosingtian's shirt says, "Where I'm from, everyone's a hero"
Here's a video of the relief operations in Ateneo during Ondoy. Thank you guys.
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~



2 comments:
My heart is with all the people who were affected by the disaster the day it happened and in their continuing struggle to deal with their losses.
Thank you ZJ. It truly was a terrible experience, I'm glad that people have remained hopeful despite everything that has happened
Post a Comment