Days prior to his birthday, I didn't tell RJ where we were celebrating his birthday. All I told him was that he'd enjoy the place. He kept guessing until he finally said, "Is this buffet?? Don't tell me it's Spirals!" Yes, we have been drooling over pictures of Spirals. Who wouldn't? To be honest, we have a list of buffets that we want to go to. He's my buffet buddy! :D
I originally intended the celebration in Spirals but after inquiring their buffet price for a Friday dinner, I had to have a back up plan. (But Spirals, one day I'm definitely going to be there!) I asked my friend Fred for suggestions when I baked in his kitchen. He suggested either Senju or Heat in EDSA Shangri-La. The price is cheaper but still the buffet selection is fantastic!
We finally ended up choosing Heat since Senju was fullybooked but seriously, it was one great buffet! I felt like traveling the world with their international buffet selection!
Just to get this out of the way, the buffet costs P1490/head in Heat but there's 10% service charge, 12% VAT, 1% tax on food and 1% tax on beverages. Inclusive of all charges, the buffet on a Friday evening (without any ordered drinks) costs around P1855/head.
Now let's head on over to the food selection! :D My favorite part!
They have a wide variety of breads and cheeses to offer but we skipped out on this part since we didn't want to get full easily. Yes, we read "How to Maximize Your Buffet" and it advised against eating breads, pasta and pizza. Too bad since they looked so precious under those soft yellow lights but we were too focused on making the most out of our buffet.
I did, however, take two pieces of salty cheese with me. :) Next time, I'd like to dwell in this part and really close my eyes with each bite. I'd like to become a cheese connoisseur! I love cheese in as much as I love bread so it was quite painful for me to skip this part.
They also have a beautiful salad display securely mounted on a bed of ice with relaxing blue lights subtly glowing through the display like glass. We also skipped this part though.
In another section, all the grilled food were lined up in their shiny silver thrones, begging for us to feast our eyes on them. Our first catch for the day (pun intended!) was one grilled lobster glowing in royalty red color. It was definitely one healthy, "siksik na siksik" lobster which I certainly enjoyed. Since it doesn't have bones, should I say it's "sarap to the shell" (remember the old Max's Chicken commercial)? Haha.
Next up were those grilled baby pink salmon (you know how I LOVE about salmon), roasted squid and barbeque chicken.
I also had to pay respects to my Chinese blood so we went over via food train to China. A smiling golden Buddha with a wide eyed crab necklace warmly greeted us upon our arrival.
| Goo Hara (kpoplovely.wordpress.com) |
Behind our cheerful Buddha, the array of Korean dishes were also showcased in dark charcoal colored pots. Since I'm usually mistaken for a Korean, I decided to pay tribute by spicing up my plate with some Kimchi.
Commercial Break: My friend Nina posted this picture on Facebook (see right side) and told me that I look like Goo Hara from the Korean pop girl group, Kara. I'm not updated with Korean bands so this made me really laugh. Wow, I didn't know I was a famous pop star! Well to be honest, that's really my hidden life! I knew it, people will eventually find out my secret. I kid! Hmm.. do I really look like her?
Going back! Despite our buffet strategy of avoiding all carbohydrates loaded food, RJ couldn't resist flying over to Italy. He managed to say no to the freshly cooked pasta (they cook your pasta on the spot) though but he simply had to take 2-3 slices of thin crust pizza. It made him easily full but it also made him smile and rave about it so no regrets. :) Viva Italia!
We then decided to have an adventurous palate and took a camel ride towards the Middle East. I have to be completely honest, Middle Eastern food tend to intimidate me. There's not much Middle Eastern restaurants in the Philippines so my tongue isn't built for their bold flavors.
We took a risk anyway and helped ourselves to some pita bread, scroll like bread and other soup based food. I have yet to train my taste buds for the richness of flavors of Middle Eastern food though.
I needed something familiar on my plate so I also took 3 pieces of shrimp from the same section. Little did I know that the shrimp's heat was really amplified! I kept tearing up while eating it and this is coming from a girl who usually cannot taste spicy food. It was really fresh though but I couldn't concentrate on its genuine taste since I was too distracted by its heat.
After being adventurous, I decided to reward myself with some slab of good old meat. A little too salty for my liking but I found comfort in eating something more familiar.
Speaking of comfort, I felt so at home when we landed in their very proud Japan section. I have so much photos of this section since I'm in love with Japanese food! I'll talk more about this tomorrow though so expect sushi and sashimi overload!
I'm also fully loaded with dessert pictures that will have you drooling in your seats! Watch out for tomorrow's post for more EDSA Shangri-La Heat madness :)
More Info on EDSA Shangri-La's Heat:
Address: Lobby Lvl. EDSA Shangri-la Hotel, 1 Garden Way, Ortigas Ctr., Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Contact Number: 633-8888 loc 2740 or 2741
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th: 6:00 am - 12:00 mn
F, Sa: 6:00 am - 2:00 am
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~















11 comments:
Yum yum yum! I wanna go!
delicious!!! ;D surely i wont pass on some pastas and pizzas! ^_______^
delicious!!! ;D surely i wont pass on some pastas and pizzas! ^_______^
Naku! Tomorrow is DH's birthday Spiral naman kami hehe We had celebrated there over a year a go and the experience is wonderful.
xoxo
MrsM
@ZJ, yup it's super delicious! :D we were so full afterwards
Hi Missy! Nice to see you again here. :) On a normal day, we wouldn't pass up on pasta and pizza but it was a buffet and we took the challenge seriously. Hahahaha!
OMG! talaga?? im so envious! spirals! *gasp*
Anyway, please take pictures na lang :) maybe i can save up enough money for spirals next year :) happy birthday to DH! have a great time in Spirals!
i love buffets! yummy!
me too! buffets make me happy :)
Honestly, I've been trying to avoid this post cuz I know I'll drool with envy. Nyahahaha!
I've always wanted to try these buffets pero I don't have a food buddy who's willing to spend so much. :(
I dont think I'll last in these places.... I always go for the pastas eh.
Haha it'll be awhile before I get to go to this buffet again with my own money! Magastos - naghirap ako weeks after this. Haha.
Next goal (baka next year pa though or next next year) is spirals! Inggit na inggit ako sa photos nun.
Kami we love pasta pero talagang nagstrategize kami before going. Haha, merong pasta-all-you can na buffet sa Joey Pepperoni!
Post a Comment