Monday, October 25, 2010

Grant Me Serenitea: More Milk Tea in the Philippines Please?

Fred has been raving about Serenitea since last September when I baked a fondant cake for RJ. He kept raving about how the store has its own customized espresso machine for their tea. Wow! That's a first in the Philippines - I think!


When we ate in House of Lasagna another time, I felt I was too sick to drink anything so I had to pass again. Little did I know that my craving for a taste of Serenitea was already snowballing to an insatiable thirst! I love Milk Tea. I even love 7/11's MineShine bottled milk tea. :P It may not be the best, but it's still milk tea!


My friend Kiwee, who just came back after a year in another country, wanted to see Fred's 12 Baskets in San Juan. I arranged for this and told Fred, "Let's go to Serenitea right after!" Finally!
After examining 12 Baskets' new glass shelf and trying out their new products, we headed over to this healthy tea shop along J. Abad Santos in San Juan. 
We arrived just in time to snatch their long table with couch! Yaay! The store was fully packed despite having so many customers who simply take their drink to go. 


Putting our bags on the table like dogs marking their territory, Kiwee and I stared at the menu with much confusion. There were so many choices before our eyes and we didn't know where to begin! We later on had to ask our Serenitea endorser friend, Fred (joke, he's not their endorser, just a fan!) for advice. 
I took Fred's advice without double thinking it while Kiwee took a long discerning look at the menu. 
One of the things that I really liked about ordering from Serenitea is you get to choose not just the kind of tea but also how it's prepared. 
You can choose what sinker/topping to put in your drink (at Php 5 each): 
  • QQ (Combination)
  • Egg Pudding
  • Pearl
  • Lime Jelly
  • Black Bricks
  • Crystals
At the same time, you can choose how sweet you want your drink to be: 100%, 75%, 50% or no sugar. 
Fred's Drink: Okinawa Milk Tea (Medium-Php85+Pearl Php5), Smarla's Drink: Hokkaido Milk Tea (Medium-Php85+Pudding Php5)
Following Fred advice, I chose Hokkaido Milk Tea with egg pudding and 50% sugar. I wasn't really sure what Hokkaido was but I found it subtly sweet. I love that it's not too sweet like Quickly thus you won't easily get tired of its taste. It's subtle sweet flavor was really refreshing. Kids and people with sweet tooth will love this! No wonder this is one of the store's best sellers. 


I got curious and later learned that Hokkaido Milk Tea has a caramel flavor with a hint of coconut. I couldn't remember tasting any coconut in my drink though. Hmm maybe I should have decreased my sugar level further. I also really loved the egg pudding! It provided a nice eggy watery-jelly surprise at the end of each sip. Yum!  


Fred picked the Okinawa Milk Tea with pearls and 50% sugar. Since I kept asking how everyone's drink was, Fred allowed me to take a sip of his drink. It was more on the bittersweet side as opposed to my drink. I think this drink will make coffee lovers smile especially you set it at 25% sugar level in order to achieve that perfect bittersweet taste. 

Black Dragon Milk Tea (Medium-Php85+ Pudding Php5)
Kiwee also allowed me to take a sip of her drink, Black Dragon Milk Tea with 25% sugar and egg pudding. Instantly I noticed how different it tasted from my drink and Fred's drink because of the decreased sugar level. Getting past this, I noticed that it also had a more exotic and earthy taste. I later learned that this tea has a brown rice flavor. Aaaah so that's the mystery flavor! This is a personal favorite of many real tea lovers. :) If you're the adventurous type who loves tasting teas, this is a great choice! 
Chicken Chop (Php65)
Fred was feeling extra generous that day so he decided to order Chicken Chop! Yaaay! Other customers in the store were also snacking on this so I was really excited to taste it. With a barbeque stick, I pierced through the soft and moist chicken strip with a piece of crispy fried basil leaf laid on top of it. The chicken wasn't oily and it had a lightly crunchy exterior from its batter. 


I learned that the best way to eat it is to eat the chicken with a basil leaf on top since most of the spices are infused into the basil. The strong peppery and salty taste of the leaves are softened with the smooth and clean taste of chicken. There are other spices mixed into the basil which I'm not familiar with. Later research showed that it uses a mix of Taiwanese herbs. 


I also love how environmental and clean the place feels like with its green and yellow accents. The interior has a simple beauty that exudes quiet satisfaction. :)
Overall we really loved the place! I'm excited to come back and try their other teas. I'd also like to ask more information about their teas next time: what tea is best when you want to stay awake, etc. 


Here are other pictures from the night:
Along with Fred, I'm now also part of the Serenitea raving team. :) Serenitea truly is not your ordinary cup of tea.


For those who live far away from San Juan, they also have branches in Banawe, Quezon City and  BF Homes, Paranaque. Click here and here for more write ups on Serenitea! 


More Info on Serenitea:

Address: Unit 1 G/F, G&L Bldg., J. Abad Santos cor. V. Cruz, Little Baguio
San Juan, Metro Manila
Contact Number: (02) 379-4166
Operating Hours: Su: 11:00 am - 8:30 pm
                            M, T, W, Th: 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm
                            F: 12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
                            Sa: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~ 

17 comments:

Andnowlights said...

Every single one of your blog entries makes me SO JEALOUS! I want some of that tea :(

Smarla said...

It's really yummy milk tea! :D i had to wait for a couple of weeks to taste it, yuuum!

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

I always order Hawaiian Milk tea or Wintermelon Milk Tea both 25 percent sugar level sinkers : QQ or pearls with pudding
xoxo
MrsM

AVA TE-ZABAT♥ said...

i must try serenitea:) the first time i drank milk tea i think was when i went to taiwan..and ever since then, when i go there i look for it. or zentea at taft :)

k.gonzales said...

i love serenitea too!:) hokkaido is my personal fave!:) you should also try the pet bottled milktea sold in 7-11. I think it's named Mineshine!

Smarla said...

Hi Michelle! I heard good reviews nga on the Wintermelon after reading through other blogs. I'll try it next time along with the Hawaiian Milk Tea. Thanks! :D

Smarla said...

Hi Ava! Zentea? Hmm I haven't tried that yet. Is it also good? :)

Smarla said...

Hi Kaka, good to see you again here! :D Yes I drink Mineshine! I'm a milk tea addict :)

noone said...

Mmm I do like milk tea a lot, I always get my bubble tea with milk tea!

Smarla said...

Yuuum! :D that's a great combination :D

Dea said...

Serenitea just opened in Alabang Town Center last month yata, I'm so happy that they now have a branch in the south. They had a promo pa of free upsize for the whole month yata, I'd always buy whenever I'm there.

Pareho pala tayong milk tea lovers. I also love Mineshine sa 7-11.

Smarla said...

Yaaaay! Yes I always drink mineshine because serenitea's not so near from my area. :D woooow free upsize, good job!

Anonymous said...

Finally got to read your Serenitea post. Ü I, too, am a regular patron of 7-11's MineShine. Sarap no? Have you tried the HK Milk Tea from Wai Ying [Binondo] yet? If you still haven't then you should! Ü

Smarla said...

I haven't tried that yet! okay, i'll make sure to find that in my next binondo trip :D

Smar said...

I haven't tried this place :) thanks Krisel! I'll make sure to try Pao Pao Xiao Chi :) thanks for the tip!

Krisel_DR said...

I loved Serenitea too until i discovered Pao Pao Xiao Chi's pearl milk tea and taro milk... its very yummy!
Same quality at half the price. Its also in San Juan. General de Jesus corner General V. Lim Street in Little Baguio. Very near 12 Baskets Bread shop. Try it out. I go there twice a week!

sheilat90 said...

Recently I was extremely low on cash and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money.. on the internet! I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I've been far more able to pay my bills!! I'm so glad, I did this!!! - 70so