The exhibit is bordering controversial with its use of real people to explore the intricacies of the human body.
![]() |
| Rearing Horse and Rider by Gunther von Hagens (photo courtesy of corporeality.net) |
According to our tour guide, all of the bodies in the exhibit came from von Hagen's laboratory. All of which are Chinese (my dear race! I have Chinese blood :P), mostly male with a few children and unborn.
I know some of you might be raising their eyebrows at this point. I know, on a philosophical point of view, this exhibit is an objectification of human beings. It really is. I think that's exactly what the exhibit aims to achieve anyway - a more in depth scientific look at the human body.
So prepare your minds as a detached observer when you go here. With your scientific hat on, the exhibit becomes a very visually detailed anatomy lesson. The exhibit is divided into 6 parts according to body systems. Each part is named after a Greek deity, hence the name of the exhibit:
- Poseidon - Respiratory System
- Dionysus - Digestive System
- Hades - Circulatory System
- Eros - Reproductive System
- Zeus - Brain and Nervous System
- Artemis - Fetal System
Upon entering, we were first asked if we were medical students. Later we realized that you'll appreciate the exhibit more if you were. So if you have medical or biology friends, make sure to tag along with them. :)
Assisted by a tour guide, we went around the exhibit quite fast. You can opt not to have the tour and take your time in each part of the exhibit. On hindsight, we should have done that.
Anyway, we then took a sitting break for a conception video prior to the Eros part. (Good thing, my bag was so heavy!) Don't miss out on this video! It's an inside look at what happens inside the mother's womb from the perspective of the baby. They pieced together several ultrasound images to have a 3-D look of the baby. Amazing right? I looked around for other reviews and learned that the video they use changes. If you can, request for the conception video.
Overall, the exhibit is really educational. You're bound to appreciate your body more after the exhibit. Let me share with you some of the striking facts that I picked up:
- If you live in the city, your lungs are discolored already even if you're not a smoker. (I'm so sorry my dear lungs!)
- The internal organs of a pregnant woman in her 3rd trimester are all pushed up to make room for the growing baby. The heart is pushed more to the left and the lungs are barely given space, hence the shortlessness of breath among pregnant women. The back also bends down in order to carry all the extra weight, thus the lower back pains.
- People these days don't decompose properly because of all of the preservatives we have eaten. (McDonald's, what have you done to me? Kidding!)
These are just some of the most striking lessons I learned. I assure you, there are a lot more to learn since every body system is really dissected. They were even able to isolate the circulatory system! There's a delicate red man made up of only coral looking nerves and arteries. Amazing!
I also really liked the fetal system with its very detailed per month progress of the fetus. This is a very apt part of the exhibit with the growing societal interest in the Reproductive Health Bill debate.
They also displayed healthy organs as opposed to those with cancer or other ailments. It'll make you cling on to your organs (if you can!). If you don't eat on time, you'll see how a stomach suffering from ulcer looks like. Or if you're a heavy smoker, you'll personally see a collapsed lung.
My favorite part of the exhibit is at the end where they divided the body into cross sections like CT scan images.
Of course there are several disturbing parts of the exhibit. I personally felt disconcerted by the skinless man whose skin was hanging from his arm. You'll even see his tattoo on his arm! The chopped and pulled up and down man was also disturbing. Lastly, I was really haunted by the pregnant woman with an open womb that reveals the dead baby inside. Aaack!
So here are my tips for those who want to visit the exhibit anyway:
- Go on a weekday. People with kids tend to flock the exhibit on weekends. It'll be harder to appreciate the exhibit if you're too busy clearing your path.
- Don't bring your young kids to the exhibit. They might get nightmares when they realize those are real people. Plus, unknowing kids tend to run around, poking the bodies. I'm sure you'll panic when you see them touching the bodies.
- Eat before going to the exhibit. There's a restaurant after the whole tour but I don't think you'd have the appetite to eat afterwards.
- If you're really quesy and you can't stand looking at dead bodies, don't go. To check, watch the video of the exhibit. If you can't stand it, don't go.
- Wear a scientific hat. Psych yourself up before going to the exhibit. This is the best advice I can give you.
If you're able to accomplish all 5 tips, I'm sure you'll somehow enjoy the educational exhibit. There's a lot to learn if you wear your scientific hat on. :)
![]() |
| Taking pictures of each other |
More Info on Myth of the Human Body:
Address: Neobabylon Building, 9 Bayani Road, AFPOVAI, Taguig City
What to tell the taxi driver: Near Libingan ng mga Bayani, along Bayani Road
Map: Click me
Contact Number: 889-5467 or 889-1724
Operating Hours: Monday-Sunday 10:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Exhibit Date: October 15, 2010 - April 17, 2011
Entrance Fee: Php350/person
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~





9 comments:
cool. since you like science exhibits, we might see each other once the MindMuseum opens on 2011. :) it's touted to be the philippine's first world-class science museum. i even lit a star in it in the constellation room. it's also in Taguig by the way, at the Bonifacio Global City. :)
I would be interested in seeing this exhibit but yeah I don't think I will have the appitite to eat afterwards. I've heard that your lungs are black even if you don't smoke but live in a polluted place... meh, nothing I can do about it! it's just the price I gotta pay to have a life from 6pm - 12am then say if I live in the middle of nowhere on a farm with horses... have a great weekend!
Hi John Ray! :)
Really? Okay now I'm super excited about it! :D I hope to see you there. :)
Hi Pop Champagne,
Yes if you live in the city, your lungs are already dark. waaah my poor lungs too!
Hope you're enjoying your weekend :D
There's an Experience Hall? Is this the one where you can take pictures before you leave? Or is this something else?
Thanks for sharing your link!
Is the Experience Hall open when you were there?
Wanna share our blog about it too.. http://marliestravels18.blogspot.com/2011/03/myth-of-human-body-exhibit.html
Thanks! :)
I personally am fascinated by the human body. Our biology professor showed us s few cadavers but I still want to go to this exhibit. (I hope that my friends would be willing to come with me, though. Lol)
Hi Fred, thanks for sharing your blog too :D great write up!
Finally we got to see this exhibit last Sunday.
Sharing my blog article about it with you: http://3xhcch.multiply.com/journal/item/507
Post a Comment