So after spending 1 week in Cebu, my parents brought home the same lechon that Anthony Bourdain had! Yes!
And yes, according to this famous chef and traveler, it's "the best pig ever."
For more than 5 days straight, I've been nagging my parents to bring home Zubuchon for me. Even before they have step foot in Cebu, I've been chiming, "Zubuchon, Zubuchon, Zubuchon please? It's just at the airport." I've been dying to get a piece of that special pig ever since I watched the Anthony Bourdain "No Reservations" episode in the Philippines.
Cebu Lechon is well known for its salty and herby mix of flavors which allows it to stand on its own without further need of sauces. What makes Zubuchon Cebu Lechon extra special is that it's made the traditional way. It is "generously stuffed with the finest spices and ingredients, and roasted by hand over a charcoal flame by old-fashioned lechoneros who are proud of their craft."
Each pig is hand picked from people who raise pigs in their backyard instead of the large commercial piggeries. Days of weeks before being slaughtered, the pig is "fattened up" first. It is then packed with fresh and usually homegrown green onions, organic lemongrass, siling labuyo or peppers, sea salt and other herbs. And as seen in the "No Reservations" episode, the pigs are cooked by hand on bamboo poles over charcoal.
They also do not use preservatives, MSG or any pre-mix seasonings on their pigs. Thus the Fresh Lechon should be consumed within 3 hours of purchase and transported in cool conditions.
The moment we reached home, we popped the Zubuchon in a pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes and separated the skin in hopes of restoring its crispiness.
Despite not restoring all of the skin's crisp, we still enjoyed devouring our little piggy for dinner. True to its promise, the lechon's meat and skin were so flavorful that I started overeating again. :P What I really like about Zubuchon is that it's not as salty as other Cebu Lechons I've tried in the past. Though its dominant flavor is salty, it is perfectly balanced out with other herbs and spices.
Admittedly, Zubuchon is still best eaten right away since the taste is not the same once it reaches Manila. Awww. Of course there's the Frozen Lechon option but it's just not the same. I guess I just have to fly to Cebu to satisfy my Zubuchon craving. Let's go? :)
Want to know more about the "No Reservations" episode of Anthony Bourdain in Cebu? Watch the video below:
PS. Check out youtube for other parts of the No Reservation episode :) He also went to Chinatown and Pampanga!
More Info on Zubuchon:
Contact: (032) 583-5699/ (032) 236-5264/ 0917-6274761
Pick Up Points: Banilad Town Center & Mactan Domestic Airport (Pre-Departure Lounge)
Budget: Php490/kilo
*There are Free Delivery Options
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~



12 comments:
I regularly order CNT but Zubuchon is the ONLY one right now that ships straight to Manila airport. Other Lechons are not that good. We were supposed to have some end of the month for my son's bday but we changed our plans. Instead of the party we are opting for circus(show) and dinner with family. Your post reminded me that i have to cancel my order!
Tip... Microwave the meat BUT but in the oven/ oven toaster the skin on top of foil paper and not bunched together. so you give the skin space and room for it to be more crispy and let the oil ooze out and cook the skin all over again. =)
I haven't tried Zubuchon but I'm sure it's good.=) We are all bisaya in our family and it's a standard for our parties to ALWAYS have lechon on the table. =) I grew up with lechon. And it is sacrilege to put mang tomas on it! just a littler vinegar dip with garli and salt is all it takes... often no dip at all!
Gosh... replying you at 430am making me awfully hungry!
i've seen that episode too! my then officemate is from Cebu and she once brought Cebu Lech at the office! it felt so sinful! hahaha. nakakasakit ng batok hihi
zubuchon! zubuchon! cuteness smarsmar haha
Hi Sansan :)
Wow 4:30 AM, you woke up so early.
I woke up at around 2AM and I was so hungry too that I took out the chips and dips. :P hahaha.
Wow thanks for the tip, at least I know how to make it crispy again. Thank you so much for this. Next time I know how to handle the lechon once it's at home.
I have yet to try CNT but some foodies are claiming Zubuchon is better. I guess the only way to find out is try both of them while I'm in Cebu. Yes! :D
Happy birthday to your son! I'm sure your son will love the circus. :)
Btw, my mom's also Bisaya but from Aklan. :)
Hi Jayvie! :D
WOOOW buti ka pa! Ang saya :D Panalo talaga when officemates bring their regional food. Dati may nagdala sa office ng crabs. Sarap :D
Haha, pagdating sa pagkain especially when I'm craving, I'm extra makulit. :P
Wow, swerte mo naman! Ikaw na ang soulmate ni Anthony Bourdain. hahaha
super duper sarap looking. if i only have a magic to create objects out of pics, i would have been eating this as well.
nagutom naman ako sa post mo na to, smarla! :)
anyway, among most touristas, the brand we’re familiar with is CNT Lechon. this is probably because there are several CNT branches scattered all over Cebu... and, of course, because it's so good [and evil, at the same time]! =P no need for sarsa.
Zubuchon, naku ganon din! we were able to sample it just this May. :)and you're right... remarkable talaga! but i suggest you try Balamban Liempo, if you still haven't. you will never know na liempo siya and not lechon upon tasting. it has organic lemongrass, secret spices, and the works stuffed in the pork belly kaya super malasa. there's only one franchiser here in Manila [Jojo Chua, I was able to speak with him in Mercato] and he said that he has slabs of the uncooked [but natimplahan nang]pork belly flown in from Cebu tas dito niya nalang niro-roast. and can I just say na they're living up to their claim na "tastier then lechon" talaga. :)
hahaha soulmate ni anthony bourdain! why not will :D panalo yun kung totoo :)
hi john ray! :)
ako sana if I could fly to cebu, eat lechon then fly back to manila instantly to go home, panalo! :D
Hi Dash,
I haven't tried CNT but yeah I heard yun yung pinaka sikat :)
woooow! were they the ones selling cebu lechon in mercato? sige sige, I'll definitely try it :D thanks for this dash!
Did you finish all of that by yourself? It sure seems like it!
Hi! Haha of course not, I still try to eat unhealthy food in moderation. :)) I shared this with my family. :) Food is always best eaten with loved ones :)
Post a Comment