Wednesday, January 19, 2011

14 Romantic Restaurants for Valentine's Day # 13: Max Brenner

If your date believes that chocolate ought to be hugged and handled with love, then this chocolate bar is the perfect restaurant for your Valentine's Day! 

Yes you caught me, I'm an absolute chocoholic. I grew up documenting my daily chocolate consumption and my latest chocolate dreams in my purely chocolate journal. It was then a no brainer to celebrate our monthsary in Max Brenner Chocolate Bar. 
Though Max Brenner's colorful graphic arts and brightly lit interior do not give off the typical romantic vibe (I like the old ambiance better though), the aromatic smell of chocolate and the calming view of the Greenbelt garden definitely spruces up the ambiance. 

I couldn't control my heart from racing from excitement over the hypnotic chocolate whirl tub and chocolate tubing running all over the restaurant. With their array of sweets proudly displayed over the counter, the restaurant is simply a feast for the eyes - a true chocoholic dream come true.  
Today, I've outgrown my two gigantic milk chocolate bars a day diet but the romance of chocolate still rings true in my heart. I then ordered the drink that could soothe any human soul, hot chocolate. 


During our visit, I had a hug mug of Venezuela Dark Chocolate (see photo above, Php158) which I lovingly hugged between my hands. Initially too hot to be cradled, I decided to indulge in its cozy, warm fragrance first. As soon as the temperature was right, I took a sip then closed my eyes in awe, and then took two more sips of this bittersweet hot chocolate before sharing it with RJ. I would have wanted it a bit more bitter but I was convinced that every hot chocolate ought to be enjoyed in a comforting hug mug. 
Max Brenner's Caesar (Php168)
RJ and I were starving from such a long trip to Makati, so we ordered a hearty lunch starting with Max Brenner's Caesar salad. It took awhile for our meals to arrive so this sweet and salty salad did not last long on our table. Our forks came diving in to this dish almost instantly and our palates were well rewarded for the long wait. 


A rich interplay of textures, their fresh Romaine lettuce, almond slivers and herbed croutons all provided their own fun crunch. The saltiness of the anchovy cream dressing and bacon were well balanced off with the subtle sweetness of the white chocolate shavings. What a great spin to the timeless Caesar salad!
Meat Lover's Pizza (Php298)
The chefs did not slow down on this one as the richness and boldness of flavors of their Meat Lover's Pizza shocked my taste buds. Extremely cheesy and extravagantly meaty, this pizza was lavishly smothered with tomato sauce, herbed ground beef, pepperoni, Hungarian sausage, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves. I'm sure guys will LOVE this pizza! 
White Wine Shrimp Saute (Php288)
Unlike our other strongly flavored dishes, our White Wine Shrimp Saute was exquisite, seemingly surrounded by an air of subtle elegance. I was so happy that we ordered this dish since it gave a breather with its lighter flavors bathed in olive oil and white wine. The well cooked flat noodles were tossed with shrimp, tomatoes, chili flakes and powdered with parmesan cheese. 


With such carbo loading, we sadly didn't have more stomach room for their sweet endings. We'll definitely come back for some of their chocolate goodies. 


Honestly, I miss the almost-all chocolate menu and old ambiance of Max Brenner but if your date has a sweet tooth, Max Brenner is still a sweet choice for Valentine's Day. Really, how can you go wrong with chocolate? 


More Info on Max Brenner:
Address: Greenbelt 5, Legaspi St., Legaspi Village, Makati City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
Commuting Tips: Take the MRT to Ayala, go through SM Makati, Glorietta, then Landmark and Greenbelt
Menu: Click Here
Contact: (0929) 486-0234
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Budget: Php300-400/head
Payment Methods: Cash, Mastercard, Visa, Amex
Outfit: Casual


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

8 comments:

Smar said...

Thank you so much Grace! :) Makati Shangri-La has really good food although there are a lot of cheaper options around the hotel as well. :) Have fun cooking Filipino recipes :)

Grace said...

Hi there! My google search for Filipino food recipes has brought me to your site and am so glad it did! Such an informative blog you keep -- thank you for sharing. During my few past visits to the PI, my stay in the city has been brief as it's just a layover to my final destination, so my norm has been to stick to my usual hotel's restaurant (at the Makati Shangri-la). I will definitely refer to your blog for other options on my next visit! Keep cooking and keep blogging. :) -Grace

Smar said...

hahaha well medyo mahal nga food nila :P

uy tumataba na ako, as in di na kasya sa akin mga pantalon ko. kaw rin kaya, payat! :)

Smar said...

thank you so much Badet! Hope you're having a great time as a mom :) ang cute ng anak mo :D

I'm glad your appetite is back! :D

Jayvie said...

fresh Romaine lettuce, almond slivers and herbed croutons- tunog pangmayaman!

palaisipan pa rin sa akin kung bakit balingkinitan ka, eh ang lakas mo kumain. oops! hihi :D

badudets said...

Chocoholics unite! I got sad when Max Brenner in Trinoma closed down, ang layo kasi ng Greenbelt.

Thank you Smarla for always visiting my blog. I love the new layout and your food photos are pretty with their borders. =)

Smar said...

yes masarap :) pero haha yeah medyo expensive ang Max Brenner. mas okay siya for a desserts place :)

RN said...

wow! White Wine Shrimp Saute is too expensive.. pero for sure masarap naman yun right?