Sunday, January 2, 2011

Chinatown Food Trip Essential: The Big Binondo Food Wok Map

Planning a food trip to Chinatown this year? Maybe this map will come in handy. :)

As part of my 23 Things I Will Do Since I'll Be 23, I'm planning to go on a food trip to Binondo with Team Kaladkarin this January. 

Despite my Chinese roots, I didn't grow up in Binondo like my dad so I didn't know where to go during my past Chinatown trips. Good thing I recently discovered Ivan Man Dy's The Big Binondo Food Wok Map. 
It's given for free if you join Old Manila Walks but I purchased my own copy from Popular Bookstore along Tomas Morato for Php100. You can also obtain it from San Miguel-Malacanang Palace, Chinese Cemetery and FEU Campus. 
What I love about this map is that gives you a glimpse of the history of Chinatown and it allows you to travel to all of the hot spots on your own. 

For food trippers, Ivan Man Dy also created a map that details all the best food finds in Chinatown. They are arranged by type of establishment: Noodle Houses, Specialty Restaurants, The Old-Timers, Chinese Fastfood, Vegetarian Options, Lauriat Dining, Filipino & Japanese Cuisine, Desserts, Pastry Shops, Specialty Shopping and Chain Restaurants. 
There's a short description on each of the establishments so you know exactly what to order. Lastly, they are also tagged by price range: Cheap Thrill, Mid-range and Eat & Splurge Like a Taipan. If I were you, I'd prepare a hefty budget so you can eat all you want in Chinatown!


If you have friends who are fluent in Mandarin, you might get the opportunity to try Chinatown's off-the-menu dishes. Make sure to tag along with them! :)
And of course, you get some freebies from Chinatown when you buy this map since there are coupons. My coupons have already expired though, oops. :P


For more information about Ivan Man Dy, check out this clip from No Reservations where Ivan Man Dy personally toured Anthony Bourdain around Chinatown. 
Time to go back to work tomorrow so enjoy this day!

Have a great Sunday guys! :) 

---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

15 comments:

Smar said...

wooow Angeline, you guys went to so many food stops! I love your pics! :) thank you so much for sharing the links to your Binondo food trip. I'll also share my own food trip pics after we go. :)

Angeline said...

Hi Smarla! We went on a DIY Binondo Food Wok with this map. You might want to check out this link for the foods that we tried:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=236084&l=b1a4be6ea2&id=1006123274

We were so full and unable to check out the other food choices, so a few months later, we went back with a few other friends =). Here is the link to the part two of our food trip:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=244430&l=a1a3d6bf5e&id=1006123274

Enjoy on your foodtrip! =D

TRAurelius said...

oooh, I'd get one of those, I'm craving for some Chinese food, :D

Smar said...

yup yup super nice yung map :D i can't wait to go back to binondo!

Smar said...

woooow may valentine binondo food wok? niiice! yup ang sarap talaga sa chinatown :)

Angeline said...

You're welcome! I can't wait to read your Binondo story =D. Keep the great (and delicious) posts coming! =D

Smar said...

ako rin im so excited! nagugutom na ako just thinking about it :D

Jayvie said...

eeeeeh! kelangan natin yang map na yan hihi. gusto ko ng nooooooodles!!!!!!!!

see you soon Smarsmar! i'm soooo excited :D

Will said...

This is what we need so we won't get lost! Para na rin we won't miss out on some of the pagkain. :))

Smar said...

excited na talaga ako sa food trip natin!! :D

John Ray Cabrera said...

i am known to have a map inside my head except places in Quiapo area and vicinity.

Mai said...

have fun in chinatown! we were there during ivan man dy's valentine binondo food wok last year! super sarap ng mga pagkain! :))

Smar said...

Ako rin and I'm not familiar with Manila so much. Nung inabutan ako ng gabi sa Manila and sarado na yung train, I panicked. :P

Robbie Bautista said...

Nakakatuwa! talagang pinanuod ko all 4 chapters nung video. Hehehehe. Parang gusto ko tuloy ng lechoooooon!

Cant wait for Binondo! 2 weeks paaaaaa!

Smar said...

ako rin! sobra akong natuwa to watch a foreigner enjoy our food and grapple with the Filipino identity. at saka, he got to meet the ultimate foodies in the Philippines! panalo!

Me too, I can't wait :D