Last September 2010, my friend Abbey took me to an Isawan place in UP which she claims is much better than Mang Larry's. Indeed they sell better tasting isaw but I went back to Mang Larry's to confirm.
Mang Larry's Isawan (a place where they sell isaw or intestines) is the famous isawan in UP Diliman. In fact, we have even seen some celebrities drive all the way to Mang Larry's just to satisfy their isaw craving. Abbey calls this the "commercialized" isawan in UP. Haha.
For about a month, Mang Larry's even extended its operations to Katipunan (near Mini Stop) but sadly, it ceases to exist there. They are, however, very much alive and much more systematic now in UP Diliman.
Unlike before, Mang Larry's Isawan follows a very systematic ordering system:
Step 1: State how many pieces of isaw manok (Php3), isaw baboy (Php3), tainga (Php6), balunbalunan (Php6), barbeque (Php10), atay (Php6), goto (Php6) or botsi (Php6) you want. (translation: intestines of a chicken, intestines of a pig, ear, barbeque, goto.)
Upon payment, your name will be asked and an order slip will be given to the cooks. By the way, they have increased their prices so their signs aren't accurate. I'm not sure if this applies to all but the isaw manok is now priced at Php3.50 or Php4.00 per stick. Also, the cup for the sauce costs Php1 if I remember correctly.
Step 2: Wait for your isaw to be grilled. They already have two long grills as opposed to one long grill in my last visit.
Step 3: Wait for your name to be called and get the paperbag of goodies :) Yaaay! RJ and I ordered 10 sticks of isaw manok that day.
Step 4: Get a cup of sauce on the side. You may either choose to get the spicy or the sweet sauce. I prefer the sweet sauce just because I don't think the spicy sauce is spicy enough.
Step 5: Eat! Most students park their cars nearby and eat there. While, commuters like me usually eat by the parked mini jeepney that supplies the electricity in Mang Larry's Isawan.
As opposed to the isawan near UP International Center (the isaw with a reddish raw form), Mang Larry's isaw is pale looking in its raw form.
They also look thinner in their cooked form. During our visit, the cooks burnt some of my isaw sticks so they were really dry, small with a burnt charcoal taste. Boo.
The well cooked ones were delicious but I must admit, I like the isaw of the other isawan more. Of course, I'm not sure if the redness and plumpness of isaw have any nutritional and food safety implications but in terms of taste, they are so much juicier. Yum yum!
So for now, I must say that the Best Philippine Isaw is by our challenger, Isawan near International Center. Yaaaay!
Any other challengers? Feel free to share other great isawan places. :)
More Info on Mang Larry's Isawan:
Address: Laurel Avenue, UP Diliman, Diliman, Quezon City
Map: Click Here
Landmarks: Along the street to the left of Philippine Post Office in UP, near UP Shopping Center
Operating Hours: 3PM until supplies last, I think usually until 7PM
Budget: Php50/head
Attire: Casual
For other entries on Street Foods, click here.
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
Mang Larry's Isawan (a place where they sell isaw or intestines) is the famous isawan in UP Diliman. In fact, we have even seen some celebrities drive all the way to Mang Larry's just to satisfy their isaw craving. Abbey calls this the "commercialized" isawan in UP. Haha.
For about a month, Mang Larry's even extended its operations to Katipunan (near Mini Stop) but sadly, it ceases to exist there. They are, however, very much alive and much more systematic now in UP Diliman.
Unlike before, Mang Larry's Isawan follows a very systematic ordering system:
Step 1: State how many pieces of isaw manok (Php3), isaw baboy (Php3), tainga (Php6), balunbalunan (Php6), barbeque (Php10), atay (Php6), goto (Php6) or botsi (Php6) you want. (translation: intestines of a chicken, intestines of a pig, ear, barbeque, goto.)
Upon payment, your name will be asked and an order slip will be given to the cooks. By the way, they have increased their prices so their signs aren't accurate. I'm not sure if this applies to all but the isaw manok is now priced at Php3.50 or Php4.00 per stick. Also, the cup for the sauce costs Php1 if I remember correctly.
Step 2: Wait for your isaw to be grilled. They already have two long grills as opposed to one long grill in my last visit.
Step 3: Wait for your name to be called and get the paperbag of goodies :) Yaaay! RJ and I ordered 10 sticks of isaw manok that day.
Step 4: Get a cup of sauce on the side. You may either choose to get the spicy or the sweet sauce. I prefer the sweet sauce just because I don't think the spicy sauce is spicy enough.
Step 5: Eat! Most students park their cars nearby and eat there. While, commuters like me usually eat by the parked mini jeepney that supplies the electricity in Mang Larry's Isawan.
As opposed to the isawan near UP International Center (the isaw with a reddish raw form), Mang Larry's isaw is pale looking in its raw form.
They also look thinner in their cooked form. During our visit, the cooks burnt some of my isaw sticks so they were really dry, small with a burnt charcoal taste. Boo.
The well cooked ones were delicious but I must admit, I like the isaw of the other isawan more. Of course, I'm not sure if the redness and plumpness of isaw have any nutritional and food safety implications but in terms of taste, they are so much juicier. Yum yum!
So for now, I must say that the Best Philippine Isaw is by our challenger, Isawan near International Center. Yaaaay!
Any other challengers? Feel free to share other great isawan places. :)
More Info on Mang Larry's Isawan:
Address: Laurel Avenue, UP Diliman, Diliman, Quezon City
Map: Click Here
Landmarks: Along the street to the left of Philippine Post Office in UP, near UP Shopping Center
Operating Hours: 3PM until supplies last, I think usually until 7PM
Budget: Php50/head
Attire: Casual
For other entries on Street Foods, click here.
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~









26 comments:
Aaaah that's why it's more orange in color. I like hers more since it has a nice aftertaste too. I agree, Mang Larry's isaw now is so small :(
Although among non-UP students, mas kilala si Mang Larry. I've even seen celebrities drive all the way to Mang Larry's to have their isaw fix. The isawan of "Manang" needs more promotional help :)
i have to agree. i like the other isawan, si "manang" un nagtitinda. it's not food coloring as per Mang Larry, but she coats it with bbq sauce. we order from here in bulk, and we picked it up at their place. i was disappointed by Mang Larry's isaw, it was sooo small, it has a bitter aftertaste and there was no flavor w/in the isaw itself.
and between the two isawans, just observe on all weekdays, the other isawan is selling like pancakes compared to Mang Larry. malakas lang sila kapag weekends, coz the other isawan don't sell especially on a Sunday.
mukha naman kasi talagang pinupuntahan talaga ito ng mga non-UP students :)
masarap naman pero mas masarap yung isawan sa international center. di ko lang alam kung bakit nga ba red at mas plump yung isa. :)
me too! super mahilig ako sa isaw. di ko though kaya kumain ng betamax :O maybe i will try for the sake of trying it
OMG..wow.. looks good but scary
maybe I will try when I visit
my friend says masarap nga daw ang isaw dyan kay mang Larry!
Merong isawan dito sa DLSU and alam ko Mang Larry's yun. Masarap ang isaw nila, grabe!
aba umaasenso na si Mang Larry ah, nakakarating na sa ibang mga campus :D
mukhang masarap ang isawan dito at mas safe kesa sa ibang isaw selling in the streets!
eeeeeeh! sosyal na si Mang Larry no. systematic na hahaha.
omg, bigla kong naalala, one year na pala since nag-date kami dito hihihi.
ay ay, bukas pa ba yung sa International Center? di ko maabutan o di ko mahanap :D
WOW! I love Isaw.. Meron rin samin isawan pati gising gising.. ^__^
I strongly recommend you try the one in Taft. Breaded yung isaw nila. :D
I dunno if it's Mang Larrys like Will said but it's the best isaw I've ever tasted. :D
It's not scary at all :) it's just a nice hang out. You just need an adventurous palate :)
Nagulat nga ako na napaka systematic na eh! dati diba sasabihin mo lang sa cook kung ilang isaw etc.
Uuuuy sino na naman yan? :D
Yup yup, last check ko bukas pa. Bandang hapon lang din sila eh. Malapit sa may UP Law
Nice! Breaded isaw, panalo. :)
Sige puntahan ko rin. Saan yun banda? Malapit sa La Salle? Hindi ko kasi nakita yung isawan when I went to Cafe Noriter.
Thanks Robbie! :)
Hey Ate Smarla! I also love isaw. That's one of my fave street foods. Anyway, hinay-hinay lang sa pagkain ng grilled isaw ha. It can cause cancer. :)))
It's beside CSB, along Estrada corner Leon Guinto. :D
It's usually in front of a drugstore there, nakalimutan ko name. It's along the street na may Tapa King. Madaming street food vendors dun. Best time to go there is late afternoon 3-5pm kasi yun lang ata ang time na andun sila.
There's also another isaw place sa may AKIC. Pero I'm not sure if it's breaded. :)
Cool! Isaw review! Haha ang layo lang kasi ng UPD sa bahay namin, at kahit malapit lang ang office, late na uwi. Gusto ko din mag-foodtrip sa UP :3
Smarla, magtayo ka nalang ng resto centered on gourmet streetfoods :)
i miss these types of food! paglabas mo sa skul eto yung sumasalubong sa'yo! kwentuhan konte sa mga kasama at nakikipagbiruan pa. miss these moments. :D
Aaaaahhh parang nakita ko nga yun pero wala pa yung mga isaw people, parang nandun pa lang yung mga taga benta ng green mango. :) Sige balikan ko yun.
Saan yung AKIC? :)
thank you so much! :D yup don't worry, i make sure I don't eat something too much if I know it's not so healthy. :)
UP talaga isa sa favorite places ko for food trip! :D
Hahaha pwede pwede! :D mag aaral muna ako ng meat handling para masarap. :)
I agree! I miss those tambay after school moments. Awww :) nakakamiss talaga!
Post a Comment