Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Valentine's Day # 10: Seal Your Date with a Chocolate Kiss

I really can't help but envy UP students. Not only do they have access to cheap but really great tasting food, they also have a direct pass to one of my favorite cozy restaurants, The Chocolate Kiss Cafe.


The Chocolate Kiss Cafe is our #10 in the 14 Romantic Restaurants for Valentine's Day! 


I feel like I grew up in Katipunan area since all of my schools are located in the area. Over the years, the variety of restaurants just grew and grew. We have fast food, fine dining, Japanese, Persian, Mexican, Chinese and so much more. Despite the abundance of choices along Katipunan, we still drive all the way to UP for Chocolate Kiss to celebrate special occasions. 
So the other Saturday, my unitmates and I decided to have dinner here after our PS. I've dined in Chocolate Kiss for the nth time (even their Roces branch) but I must say, it never fails to impress me. When they say they are "serving the good stuff", they really mean it! 
Beef Stroganoff (Php195)
My usual craving for comforting food led me into ordering their Beef Stroganoff. Plated with mixed vegetables on the side, sirloin strips and mushrooms simmered in my favorite sour cream sat on top of a generous serving of rice. Definitely a new favorite, their creamy Beef Stroganoff cradled me like a baby as I indulged in the mix of creaminess and sourness of their tender sirloin strips. Now that's what you call comfort food! 
Chicken Kiev (Php205),  Seafood Pomodori (Php245)
My other unitmates ordered their Chicken Kiev (a personal favorite), Seafood Pomodori, Hickory Smoked Spareribs (Php195 with rice, Php215 with mashed potatoes), Gamberi (Php248) and Taco Salad (Php198). 


I was too busy loving my own meal that I didn't get to sample their dishes. However, I'd personally recommend their Chicken Kiev since it's one of my usuals. Like my Beef Stroganoff, it's an extremely comforting dish with its generous serving of tender chicken breast fillet rolled with cream cheese, butter and herbs. Hmm cream cheese and butter! I know. 
Dayap Cake (Php80/slice, Php800 whole cake)
I loved my Beef Stroganoff so much that I decided to give in to my sweet tooth and order the restaurant's much famed desserts. I was torn between their best seller cakes, Dayap Cake and Devil's Food Cake. After staring into their cake display for a long time, I went for the latter since it's reminiscent of the Filipino story, Ibong Adarna (wala lang!). 


The moist chiffon cake made me fall in love with cakes all over again. Honestly, I usually cannot finish an entire slice by myself without falling victim to the "suya" factor. However, this cake is so light with a hint of sweetness from its caramel filling and marshmallow icing, that you won't even realize that you've already consumed the entire slice. I'm not fond of icings but the freshness of the grated dayap zest is just so refreshing on the palate. It wonderfully balances off the sweetness of this cake. 
Aside from "serving the good stuff", The Chocolate Kiss Cafe also has a very comfortable ambiance, perfect for those special moments. During night time, the restaurant glows in soft yellow lights and locks in a more relaxed and romantic mood. 


So this Valentine's Day, why not drive to the heart of UP and indulge in the good stuff that this campus offers? I tell you, this restaurant is worth the trip. :)


PS. I'm so sorry about the yellow pictures. I tried adjusting the camera settings but the place was too dark to get really nice photos. 


More Info on The Chocolate Kiss Cafe:
Address: Bahay Ng Alumni, Ground Level & 2nd Level, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
Contact: (63 2) 434-7430, (63 2) 433-3782
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Menu: Click Here
Budget: Php250/head
Payment: Cash, Visa, Mastercard
Outfit: Casual
Other Branches: Chino Roces, Quezon City (near Tomas Morato)


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

20 comments:

Smar said...

I think the owners just like it that way, may special menu for each branch. :) But they own both of the branches

John Ray Cabrera said...

why is that. franchise-constraint reason? franchise lang ba sila?

Smar said...

yes i love chocolate kiss :D and i agree, each visit is just divine.

Mr. Lonely said...

Been here twice and I must say each dine was divine. :-)

Smar said...

okay lang yan, favorite ko rin Shopping Center at Isaw sa UP! :D ang takaw ko parati pag nasa Shopping Center :D

Jayvie said...

omg, wag mo akong tatadyakan sa sasabihin kong hindi pa ako nakakakain dyan! hahaha :D
pang Shopping Center at isaw lang kasi budget ko hehe :d

Smar said...

Yes masarap din sa Roces branch although I like the UP branch more just because of the ambiance :) But they have dishes in Roces branch that are not available in the UP branch

Johnraycabrera said...

my former boss recommended the place but since i don't frequent at Katips area, i might try this out at their Roses branch.

Smar said...

Hi Cym! :) Usually there's space naman but since it's Valentine's Day, better have a reservation. Lahat kasi talaga ng restaurants puno pag Valentine's Day :)

Smar said...

You're welcome! :) Yes this restaurant is definitely one of the best in UP.

Smar said...

Yeaaah inggit na inggit talaga ako. Gusto ko nga bisitahin pa yung mga canteen ng UP. bawat canteen daw kasi may specialty at mura!

Smar said...

kami rin, when we can't think of a place to eat, we go to chocolate kiss. :)
ah talaga? make sure to try their dayap cake. saraaap! another bestseller is their devil's food cake.

Cym Marzan said...

I think I want some of that Stroganoff. Do I have to reserve if going to celebrate Valentine's there?

Chantoel said...

Oh, will try this restau soon! I agree with you, madaming masasarap na restau there! I love sweets so I will def go there and try the yummy cakes. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Robbie Bautista said...

Nakakain na ako dito once pero hindi ko namaalala inorder ko. =(
Ang naaalala ko lang wala akong masyadong pera nun kaya di ako naka-order ng sweets. Wahahaha.

And yes, and swerte talaga ng mga taga UP in terms of food choices. >_<

Gela said...

my boyfriend & i always end up there when i visit him in UP & we're too lazy to think of a place to eat. haha. their Chicken Kiev is our fave, too! along with Gamberi. :D i don't think i've ever tried their cakes tho. maybe next time!

Smar said...

I agree! :D i love their cakes, super yummy!

U8mypinkcookies said...

super love the devils food cake and kahlua butter cake <3

Smar said...

thank you Dominique! :) i really try to give as much info since that's my usual problem when I'm planning to go to a restaurant.

I'm looking forward to your photos :)

Dominique Tan said...

must try the chicken kiev or beef stroganoff some time. oh and those cakes!
i love how you give the readers all the information we need to know. we already know where it is, how much to bring and when to go there by just reading your posts.<3

thanks again for the lovely comment you made at my post. it made my day.:D
i'm going to exhaust all that can be made subjects at home.:))
<3