Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Search for the Best Xiao Long Bao Pt1: Suzhou Dimsum

In celebration of the upcoming Chinese New Year, let me share with you my Search for the Best Xiao Long Bao around the metro. My first Xiao Long Bao sighting: Suzhou Dimsum in Malate, Manila.


Given my last name, it's pretty obvious that we're one of the Chinese-Filipino families in the Philippines. We may not be as conservative as other families, but when it comes to food, Chinese cuisine is always the first choice. 
However, for some reason, we skipped out on this dish from Eastern China called Xiao Long Bao. I first heard of this dish from a food memory sharing in a food writing workshop I attended last year. Since then, I've been dying to get a piece of that Xiao Long Bao which a fellow participant described so passionately.
So when I saw a Xiao Long Bao sighting in Dash's blog, I texted Kiwee and Fred immediately so we could drive all the way to Malate, Manila. We're well aware of other Suzhou Dimsum branches nearer to our place but this one seemed perfect with its hole-in-the-wall vibe. Plus, Chinese residents flock to this branch which is a good sign of their food's authenticity. 
House Tea (Php free!)
We were warmly greeted with Mandarin by their Chinese owner as soon as we entered. Uh oh, we all look Chinese but all of us couldn't carry a conversation using such deep Mandarin. Sorry! 


I guess the owner noticed our puzzled looks when he greeted us so he sent his Filipina waitress to take our orders. 
Xiao Long Bao (Php90/4 pcs); Seafood Siomai (Php90/4 pcs)
We braved Manila just to have a piece of that Xiao Long Bao so our minds were dead set in ordering it. Alongside, we ordered their Seafood Siomai and their Shallot Oiled Pancake just because it sounds interesting. 

The Seafood Siomai is rolled in a white wrapper, exposing its glistening seafood meat crown. Evident in the dumpling's sides, each piece is generously packed with meat. The meat was indeed juicy, especially with a tap of soy sauce, but I felt the skin was a little too thick for my liking. 
Shallot Oiled Pan Cake  (Php90)
The Shallot Oiled Pan Cake tasted very much like your usual pancake, except a little oilier and thinner. I wasn't very fond of this dish since it lacked flavor. A flavor problem I attribute to the lack of onion leeks as opposed to the same dish that a fellow blogger had. 
Xiao Long Bao (Php90/4 pcs) and Black Rice Vinegar
Both the Seafood Siomai and the Shallot Oiled Pancake were quickly forgotten when the xiao long bao was brought to our our table. After much wait, we were dying to feast on these steamed soupy dumplings. 


Xiao long bao or xiao long pao is traditionally steamed in bamboo baskets, hence the name "xiaolong", meaning "small steaming basket". Unlike other dumplings, they surprisingly have soup inside brought about by a gelatinous broth cube inserted during preparation. So while the Xiao Long Bao cooks, the cube melts away to create the soup inside. 


Since they're so delicate with the soup inside, it's best eat xiao long bao with a soup spoon. Using chopsticks, gently pick up the xiao long bao and lightly dip it on the black rice vinegar. Placed on top of the soup spoon, you can already take a bite of the xiao long bao without worrying about soup spill. As described to me during the food writing workshop, the xiao long bao's skin should melt effortlessly as the warm comforting soup fills your mouth. 


I wanted to eat the xiao long bao with one bite so that the soup would explode in my mouth; however, the skin was too tough to do so. I had to resort to grinding my teeth against the skin, sipping the soup and then chewing my way through the rest of the skin. The xiao long bao tasted okay but it wasn't what we were looking for. 


I've heard great reviews about Suzhou's rice meals but we were really after their xiao long bao so we opted not to order more. Honestly, we went home a little disappointed from the trip but a cup of coffee cheered us up later in the afternoon. I guess we'll just have to continue our search for the best xiao long bao out there. :) 


Any suggestions? :)


More Info on Suzhou Dimsum:
Address: A. Mabini St. Malate, Manila, Metro Manila
Contact: (02) 302-4347
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 12:00 mn - 12:00 mn
Menu: Click Here
Budget: Php150-200/head
Payment: Cash
Outfit: Casual
Other Branch: Mandaluyong, Greenhills (the Mandaluyong branch is also located along A. Mabini St., isn't that just amazing? Haha)


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

19 comments:

Smar said...

Uy dash, okay lang :D subjective naman ang taste talaga. No need to redeem yourself. :)

Pero thank you so much for this reco. I'll go here and let you know asap. :D Sige, looking forward to your PM. I'm so excited sa stone fish meat dumplings! I don't think I've tried one before

dashashash said...

I'm so sorry, Suzhou's xiao long pao didn't quite make the cut for you. :( I, personaly, still favor theirs over Crystal Jade's kasi. But let me redeem myself by suggesting you to try the dimsum, including xiao long pao of course, from Jasmine... New World Hotel's Chinese restaurant on the second floor.

This place flew in a new dimsum chef from Hong Kong. I recommend you get the stone fish meat dumplings and deep-fried mashed taro dumplings filled with seafood with the xiao long pao. :)

Naku, I have a lot to say about Jasmine. Will send you a PM nalang. LOL. I'd love to blog about it but a had no cam with me when we ate there. Biglaan kasi. Try mo and let me know how it turns out. :D

Smar said...

And also try Shi Lin at Podium :) They have freshly rolled dimsum that are not that expensive

Smar said...

Hmmmm, okay I'll try! :) I'll find a way how to achieve the soup effect without breaking the skin. I've never tried to make my own dumpling but you gave me a great idea. Thank you!

Grace said...

Have you thought about attempting to make your own? :)

Smar said...

just got to try crystal jade! :) will write about it soon. But i didn't get to try their noodles, I just ate their xiao long bao. Hahaha. I'll definitely go back. :)

And yes, I love happy lemon! I wrote about Happy Lemon last month

Smar said...

Lately ko lang din nalaman yung xiao long bao. :) naintriga ako kasi ang ganda talaga ng pagkakadescribe ng isang participant - food writer nga!

Smar said...

My tita mentioned Eat Well nga, sige I will go there. :D Yaaay at least there's a more commutable branch in Galleria :) thanks Mai!

becky said...

agree with pa3cia, crystal jade has yummy xiao long bao :) their noodles are also yummy! we got one with broth and shrimp. their yang chow however is forgettable.
after crystal jade, i think it would be nice to have some after meal tea/dessert at happy lemon hehe

Jayvie said...

ay may methodology pa kung paano kainin! hihi

sorry pero walei akong ibang alam na ganyan. ngayon ko lang yan narinig at nakita haha :D

maierz said...

You have to try Eat Well's Xiao Long Bao! OMG! Super kaduper saraaap! Fell in love with it right away! :) There's Eat Well in Greenhills, The Fort, and now sa Veranda sa Robinson's Galleria! :)

Smar said...

Me too! I'm dying to go to Chinatown! :D hmmm I'm still working on my menu. how about you? :)

Smar said...

When it comes to cheap but really great tasting dimsum, I go to King Bee. I know it's not the most awarded or whatever but I really love their dimsum, especially their hakaw. Really plump hakaw + really crunchy broccoli :)

Smar said...

awwww thanks rdsean :) hope you find a resto you might like in my blog. what kind of eat-all-you-can resto were you looking for?

ava said...

I'm hungry now!=p haha I wanna go to china town! oh and what have you got cooking for chinese new year?:)

Johnraycabrera said...

speaking of chinese restos, which one has the most delish(in general), most value for money, and most delish(dimsum only) restaurants you have been into.

rdsean said...

i was looking for an eat-all-you-can restaurant in Ortigas and I bumped into your site.. now I'm browsing your pages.. ;)

Smar said...

thanks Pa3cia for this tip! :) will definitely go to Crystal Jade :)

Pa3cia said...

For xiao long bao try Crystal Jade in GH :)
*Pa3cia