Friday, October 29, 2010

Sharing My Passion for Food with other Filipino Foodies

Last October 16, 2010 (Saturday), I attended a food writing workshop called, "Eat, Write, Love" in Adarna Food & Culture restaurant
I met so many great people from different backgrounds. There were literature students and professors, writers and PR people from food magazines, cake makers, people with other unrelated day jobs but are in love with food, etc. 
It was really exhilarating to meet other people who talked about food with so much passion! Really, they just make you hungry with how they describe their relationship with their food. Amazing!


There were a couple of bloggers in the room as well! I'm not sure if I could reveal their real names so I'll just use their blog names. :)
I met ToT of Trip or Treats and she recognized my name since I'm one of her blog's followers. Haha! She's extremely friendly and a very active storyteller. There's never a dull moment with her. :)
I also met the brainchild behind The Winged Palate who instantly became my first friend in the seminar since she was seated beside me. She also went around with me after the seminar to take pictures of the restaurant. She's such a fun seatmate! I hope to see her again :)
I also met the husband of the cake artist, Judy Uson. They specialize in wedding cakes. Batch was the only guy in the workshop so he kiddingly said, "Is food writing a girl job?" Hahaha. 
Prior to the workshop, I was worried that I might be the youngest in the group. Good thing the group was pretty well balanced and I actually met a batchmate of mine, Genine! We learned that we have common friends since she studied in a school near mine. 


Anyway, she and her sister are also in the cake bakers! They create unique fondant cakes under their company, The Cake Shack. They're really strict with their standards so expect a great fondant cake unlike my first fondant cake! Haha. 
And hey, Lori Baltazar of dessertcomesfirst.com was there as well as a speaker. Remember, she did a feature on 12 Baskets Bakeshop in her blog? 


She generously shared her story on how her career as a food writer began. She also gave us a few tips on how to sharpen our food writing. 
Other speakers from the workshop include Chef Giney of Adarna Food & Culture and of course, the three lovely ladies of Writer's Block Philippines: Ana, Nina and Nikka. 


Here are some of the things that I picked up from the workshop:
1. Read, read, read. If you love to write, you have to love to read. Brush up your food mental dictionary. 
2. Sharpen your food writing by learning other skills that will further enrich it: culinary lessons, food styling lessons or food photography, etc
3. There are a lot of ways to write about food than just how it tasted. Relate it to history, relationships, culture, feelings, etc
4. There are a lot of food writing opportunities out there. Don't be limited to food magazines. Most online and print publications have a food section already
5. You have to make your readers feel, touch, taste, smell, etc the food like they are also eating it while they're reading your write up. 
6. Don't be limited by writing about restaurants. Talk to street vendors, talk to family cooks, go to festivals, travel, etc.
7. If you have nothing good to say about the restaurant, write it professionally or don't write about it at all. 
8. It's important to tell the truth to the readers because it's your byline on the line. 


Here are some more pictures from the seminar:
After this workshop, I've stocked up on more food books in my growing book collection. :) I'm happy that my book collection is slowly recovering from the mass death brought about by Ondoy. Reading about food always makes me hungry. I'm currently reading Claude Tayag's "Food Tour" and I now want to travel the Philippines to eat! I want to read more about food, feel free to recommend more food blogs! Notice my blog roll on the sidebar is filled with food blogs. 


Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting more foodies in the future! :) I also hope to see the people I met in this workshop once again. 


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

4 comments:

Genine said...

Smarla, awesome post and pictures!!
and thanks for linking our website :)

- Genine

Anonymous said...

@Smarla, I was "wishing" to attend this even though the reg is costly (but I know it's worth it). Unfortunately, I could not leave Miguel behind.

It was nice that you posted some tips. :p

Smarla said...

@Genine, no problem. :) thank you so much!

Smarla said...

@ La Bella Vita, yes it is a little costly. I hesitated din before deciding to finally attend :)

I'm sure Miguel was happy naman that you were with him. :) there are other workshops pa naman in the future