Saturday, October 30, 2010

Our Durian Craving Led us to Fruits in Ice Cream

RJ and I both love durian! 
Durian Fruit (photo courtesy of theadventuresofsupermum.blogspot.com)
My durian love affair started pretty fast. 
I was in Davao for the first time for a work assignment and I asked to have a taste of durian. I'm not a big fan of the smell but my adventurous palate didn't want to reject any experience without giving it a try. Plus RJ's really addicted to Durian, so I'm sure there must be something more than its pungent smell.


It was harvest season when I arrived so I was easily able to buy a whole Durian fruit for Php35 and Marang fruit for Php15! Crazy right?
Marang Fruit (photo courtesy of tapsilogatbp.tumblr.com)
In Manila, Durian can be soooo expensive and difficult to acquire. All durian lovers (including me!) know this. Once there's a durian sighting, all durian fanatics gravitate towards it instantly! In 5 seconds, all durian supply is depleted. Swear! My Ninang knows exactly when Shoppersville carries Durian.
Our shared love for durian had me going crazy when I found this in the grocery! Yes, there's durian ice cream in the grocery! 


It was only recently that I learned that Fruits in Ice Cream also sell their ice cream now in groceries. I thought they only sell it in their stand alone shops. I'm so happy they're now in the grocery!


Plus they have so many unique flavors.
They have Raspberry Rapture! Now that's one unique flavor in the Philippine ice cream market . 
They also have Macapuno and GREEN TEA!!! I love their Green Tea Ice Cream! I also have it in their UP Shopping Center stall. :D
For coffee lovers, they have Caffe Latte. Chocolate lovers will of course love their Chocolate Marble and their Tsokalate. 
They also have nangka or jackfruit! This I have to try on my next grocery visit. 


For their other unique flavors, check out their website. I checked out their site and they have Black Sesame, Apple Cinnamon, Caramelo Con Pastillas, Sherbet Buko, Tsoko Pinipig, Sherbet Calamansi, Sherbet Guyabano and even Munggo! WOW! I love you FIC! I want to try all your innovative flavors :)


I know it wasn't a good idea to take pictures in the ice cream freezer since it would fog up my camera but I was too excited with digging through the tubs of ice cream that I forgot about that. Hehe. I love you camera - take one for the team!


Anyway, I surprised RJ with a tub of durian ice cream. The moment we opened it, the room smelled like Durian. YUUUM! Like all other durian fanatics, we finished this instantly. We finished it even before you can finish saying Mary Poppin's "Supercalifragilistic expialidocious!" YUUUM! We made sure we finished every single drop from that tub. 


I miss Durian! *cough cough* *cough cough bring me home durian please cough cough* Hahaha


Are there other Durian lovers out there? :)

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

14 comments:

Unknown said...

whoa, durian- smells like hell,but taste like heaven...

i love it, got a lot that in davao...

Smarla said...

me too! i love durian! :) once you get used to the smell, super bango na rin. :)

Christine Wang said...

I LOVE DURIAN! my sister does too!! a lot of people think we are weird for liking it but it is so nice and tastes like sweet garlic. we can only get it frozen in the states and it doesn't taste as pungent as it does from the tropics. but eat it a little bit frozen and it is like ice cream! the other fruit you posted is called jack fruit where i live. my dad bought me some fresh once. very expensive here as well.

about my ghost stories....gaahh i might eventually get more into it but i know a lot of people are freaked out of think i am weird. oh well... happy halloween even though it prob means nothing to you! :)

Smarla said...

Yaaaaay another durian lover! Hmm i haven't tried it frozen yet, okay i'll try it next time someone brings home durian. :)

hahaha i won't think you're weird but i'll get scared! I have a very vivid imagination and i'll have a hard time falling asleep.

Happy Halloween too! I was supposed to attend a costume party but i traded it for a beach trip. :D

Dea said...

I adore durian! We used to live in Cagayan de Oro where we had access to the freshest durian and marang for cheap, so I can't bring myself to pay premium price for durian here in Manila.

Have you tried Blugre Coffee Shop in Davao? They have durian cappuccino, and I swear, muntik tumirik mata ko on my first sip. Saraaaaaap.

My favorite durian ice cream is Magnolia. Or is it Nestle? Nalilito na ako. Basta the blue tub.

Smarla said...

Hi Dea! Yes I've tried Blu Gre! SUPER YUMMY COFFEE! :D blue tub? hmmm mahanap nga!

wow cdo, i want to go back there :) i havent tried white water rafting. last time i was there i just went to camiguin :)

Cagayan de Oro news said...

Better try the rafting once you come back to cdo. it's a thrill!^_^ http://www.cdokay.com/

Smarla said...

i really plan to do so :D thanks for the suggestion :)

Smar said...

Okay next time i go to CDO, I'll try to look around for good ice cream flavors :)

Kriza Marie A. said...

 Usually, neither mango and chocolate:)

Smar said...

Really @cba4b2bd8a6854fa7d82c4da0f71421c ? :) Like what flavors of ice cream?

Kriza Marie A. said...

Wow! always wanna try this. Cagayan de Oro City have also lots of ice cream to choose with. Thanks for sharing mate.


Cagayan de Oro News

Smar said...

Ouch 400? :O waaah crazy. Saan kayo bumili? It's best to buy along the road para mas mura. :)

But yes, sobrang sarap naman kasi talaga ng durian, mapapagastos ka talaga. :D

Ed said...

DURIAN!!!! went to Davao last week and we spent close to 400 Php to two pieces as it wasn't the season for it. Yeah, total bummer.

Oh well, I crave for it too. will try the ice cream next! :D