Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Teriyaki Boy: Another Restaurant for My Green Tea Ice Cream Dessert Cravings

I have several comfort foods that instantly make me smile - one of them is Green Tea Ice Cream. Yes, the traces of Chinese blood in me is kicking in. :P 


Last Tuesday, I had lunch with my friends in Teriyaki Boy, Alpha Land Mall. I arrived late so my friend later on had to rush back to work. I decided to stay for awhile and try out the restaurant's new desserts. I looked to my left and I felt my heart race as I saw a picture of the glorious Green Tea Ice Cream on their table standee! WOHOO! :) Another restaurant with Green Tea Ice Cream! :D YEAH! Haha, I'm such an impulse buyer :P


My other friend encouraged me to have dessert when he saw the happy childlike look in my eyes at the sight of this table standee. I urged him to take the other dessert since it'll be weird to have him waiting for me while I happily savor my dear Green Tea Ice Cream. 


Aside from the grocery, I only know a very few places that sell Green Tea Ice Cream. Sadly, it's not a staple in Japanese restaurants. :( I usually have my Green Tea Ice Cream fix in Fruits in Ice Cream, UP Shopping Center. I tried the Green Tea Ice Cream of Sachi in Araneta Center and I didn't really like it. I guess it's the "authentic" Green Tea ice cream since there are leaves and other unknown naturey textures in their Green Tea Ice Cream. 
Green Tea Ice Cream or Macha Ice Cream with crunchy Tempura Flakes (Php78)
Teriyaki Boy calls it Macha Ice Cream and they adorned it with crunchy Tempura Flakes. Since it's Arce Dairy ice cream, it's obviously an ice cream flavor to love. Who can resist the Arce Dairy? Really. I think they're also more creative with their flavors as opposed to other more popular ice cream brands. 


The additional Tempura flakes were just okay. As expected, they were on the oily side since it's extremely fried. It's oil didn't overpower the ice cream, rather it added a fun crunchy texture to it. I honestly don't mind doing away with it since the ice cream by itself is already love. I guess this is Teriyaki Boy's contribution to the dessert so that it won't be completely Arce Dairy's. 


If you love Arce Dairy's Green Tea Ice Cream, this is basically it. I'm in love with their Green Tea Ice Cream so I really enjoyed this dessert. 
Caramel Ice Cream with Coffee Jelly Strips or Kyarameru Ice Cream (Php78)
My friend had the Caramel Ice Cream with Coffee Jelly Strips or what they call Kyarameru Ice Cream. My friend allowed me to have the first bite. True to its name, it's really creamy and it had a strong caffeine taste. I think the coffee jelly overpowered the caramel flavor a little bit since I couldn't remember tasting much caramel. Then again I only had one spoonful bite. It's really flavorful and coffee lovers would enjoy this dessert. 


It melted too quickly though. Probably because it was creamy or maybe it was not placed in the freezer for too long? I'm not too sure. My friend also commented the same thing. Anyway, seeing the coffee jelly strips on this ice cream, I texted my brother right away. He loves anything with Coffee Jelly! 


In terms of price, it's a little pricey for a scoop of ice cream but given it's sold in Teriyaki Boy, the price makes sense. Plus I think the restaurant made it its own with the additional coffee jelly strips and tempura flakes. 


I'm really happy there's another restaurant offering Green Tea Ice Cream. I hope all Japanese restaurants would serve it too. <3 Let me know if you know of other places that offer Green Tea Ice Cream. :D


Btw, don't forget to join my contest (click me for details!) and you can win a free Team Manila Real Love shirt. You won't just get a new shirt, you'd also be helping out Kythe's kids with cancer. :) Last day on October 10 (Sunday)! Better join now :)


More Info on Teriyaki Boy, Alphaland, Makati Branch:
Address: G/F Alphaland, Southgate Mall, Pasong Tamo Ext. EDSA
Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Contact Number: (02) 403-2973
Operating Days/Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm



~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

15 comments:

chef_d said...

I love green tea ice cream, haven't tried Teriyaki Boy's version yet--will have to do it soon, I got hungry looking at the pictures!

Smarla said...

I liked their Green Tea Ice Cream :) Although I have to admit, I still love Fruits in Ice Cream's Green Tea Ice more. :) I recently found out that FIC also sells their ice cream now in supermarkets!

Fickle Cattle said...

I like the green tea ice cream of Teriyaki boy. They make it themselves pala. I thought it was FIC.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

Smarla said...

Hi Fickle Cattle, they use Arce Dairy Ice Cream :)

Tasha said...

wow! new stuff at Teriyaki Boy. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Smarla said...

Hi Tasha! :D You're welcome :)

Writer's Block Philippines said...

We would like to invite you to "Eat, Write, Love": a food writing workshop on October 16, 2010 at Adarna Food and Culture. 

"WHO: Eat, Write, Love: a food writing workshop
WHAT: A food writing workshop for foodies and those who are interested in earning money from food writing
WHERE: Adarna Food and Culture Restaurant
WHEN: October 16, 2010 --> 11am to 4pm
Contact info: WBP contact number 0927.850.8280"

Anonymous said...

Mouthwatering.. Everything's made of green tea these days. Cakes, cookies, ice cream, possibly even shoes (just a random word,lol).

Smarla said...

Hi! :) I'm still thinking about it since there's another event on the same date. Thanks for the invite :D I really appreciate it!

Smarla said...

Hi Will! I know, there are green tea cookies too. Although I haven't tried them yet. haha

Robbie said...

It's so nice to find Green Tea lovers here! <3

We are very rare. =))

Smarla said...

Hi Robbie! :) Hahaha yes, we are very rare. I have many friends who find it weird that I love green tea ice cream so much but I can't get enough of it :)

Anonymous said...

matcha-junkie here! =P you will love Meiji matcha ice cream, smarla. Japanese grocery stores carry them but i get it the cheapest in Little Tokyo [P75]. here's my recent post about it: http://dashashash.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/keishoku-no-jikan/

Smarla said...

Hi Dash! :)

I've been visiting your blog a lot lately because of the xiao long bao. I just like looking at it. Now i really want to go visit :P

I've been to Little Tokyo but I didn't get to go here. Thanks for this post! I'll make sure I get to try this :)

quogorur1982 said...

Recently I was really, really low on cash and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money.. on the internet. I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I've been far more able to pay my bills!! I'm so glad, I did this!!! - p9md