Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Our Family Valentine's Day :)

Nothing beats spending Valentine's Day with family <3



Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite occasions even before RJ came along. Date or no date, I was never alone on Valentine's Day because of my family. Who says Valentine's Day is a lovers only day? 
This year, we decided to avoid the Valentine's Day traffic and take home Gayuma ni Maria food to celebrate. Our house may not have a romantic ambiance, especially with the ongoing construction work, but I had a warm fuzzy feeling the entire night since I was with the people I love most. :)
There were no gimmicks, no band playing love songs but I must say, it was the best Valentine's Day I've ever had. Truly, nothing beats sharing a scrumptious meal and a bottle of wine with the people closest to your heart. 

Here's a quick rundown of our Valentine's Day dinner:
Lumpiang Barako (Php115), Itsie-Bitsie Fetish (Php60)
For appetizer, I ordered their green peppers stuffed with cheese, Lumpiang Barako! It wasn't as spicy as I wanted it to be but it's perfect for my mom who can't stand too much heat in her food. The extreme cheesiness made up for the little heat but I like Gerry's Grill's version more. 

My sister also ordered Itsie-Bitsie Fetish, which are Banaue taro fries served with sweet strawberry yoghurt dip. On their own, the taro fries and the yoghurt were delicious but the combination was a little off. They just didn't go well together, in my opinion, but RJ loved them.   
Please Be Careful with my Heart (Php240), Rock Me Baby! (Php215)
Since my mom and I enjoyed our rice meals in Gayuma ni Maria on our last visit, we ordered these dishes again. This time around we had 2 orders of Please Be Careful with my Heart and 3 orders of Rock Me Baby! Addict, haha.

I Love You Cross My Heart (Php240), Mashed Potatoes (w/ Rock Me Baby)
Since I wanted to try something new, I also tried their I Love You Cross My Heart. This is a tender chicken breast dish topped off with cheese, asparagus and highly flavorful mushrooms. With a little less salt, it's a dish that will surely receive good reviews from cheese fanatics. 
Broken Promises (Php75), Beats Sex Any Day (Php75)
For dessert, I only wanted an slice of their Twisted Pavlova cake to cap off the celebration. Too bad they ran out of it by lunch time. Aww. :( My sister then brought home two cakes in its place, Broken Promises and Beats Sex Any Day. 


I've already tried their Beats Sex Any Day but it's my first time to taste their Broken Promises. RJ really liked the moist and gooey texture of this chocolate crinkle cake, albeit a little too sweet. 


Though special in their own chocolatey goodness, both cakes only further heightened my craving for their Twisted Pavlova. Good thing we're getting a free slice of it to make up for missing orders. The waiters failed to include our Moussaka and Pillow Fight in our take out bags. Boo. This would normally upset us a lot but the waiters were very courteous and apologetic over the phone. Plus, it's Valentine's Day - we're all just drugged with too much love to get furious. 
Later on, RJ arrived late in the evening with a dozen roses in hand. Awww! Thank you :) Since his class ended late, he missed out on our family dinner so we just ate all of the leftovers. Yes, I had dinner twice last night. Surprisingly, we cleared out the entire table. Wow. His appetite is really equal to the appetite of my entire family. :P Peace! 
As a surprise, I covered a wall in our house with cut out "Smarla loves RJ" hearts of varying sizes. Cheesy? I know! I also gave him an exercise mat so he could lose all of the weight he gained for helping me accomplish my blog Valentine's Special: 14 Romantic Restaurants for Valentine's Day. Haha! See, I'm not always the culprit behind your weight gain. :P But yes, I wouldn't have accomplished the 14 restaurants without you. 

So there, that's how I spent my Valentine's Day - simple but remarkably meaningful. Even though Valentine's Day has always been a sweet occasion because of my family, celebrating it with RJ makes it even more special. 

How about you, how was your Valentine's Day? 

PS. Kuya, where were you? I missed you last night. :)


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

23 comments:

Smar said...

Really? Some say I look like my dad. :)

Haha I hope he's using it as an exercise mat! Baka nga naging floor mat lang :))

Gela said...

awww, your family seems like a very close-knit bunch. you look so much like your mom! :D

haha, i love that you gave RJ an exercise mat. i hope he uses it properly! because i know if i gave one to Convi, he'd just use it to sit in front of his PS3. hahaha

Smar said...

Wow, okay will go to your blog now :D

Smar said...

Happy Valentine's Day Rackell! :D

chef_d said...

Yeah I agree...Valentine's day shouldn't be for lovers only!
By the way I nominated you for Stylish Blogger award, please drop by my blog to accept it!

Rackell Lumberio said...

yipeee!!! happy valentine's day!!! sweet naman!

Smar said...

Awww when are you coming home?

Yup that was a lot of food. I was shocked that we were able to finish it all. :)

Smar said...

Thank you :) Tumaba kami ni RJ sa lahat ng pre-Valentine's date para matapos yung 14. :P

Feeling ko matutuwa ka sa Gayuma kasi malandi yung place. Hahahaha :D

Smar said...

Happy Valentine's Day Ron! :)

Smar said...

Awww I'm sure your parents will appreciate the visit :)

Smar said...

Happy Valentine's Day din Will! :) punta tayo ng TK dito :)

rdsean said...

suddenly miss my fam.. :( can't wait to go home..

nywayz, that's a bunch of food.. glad you enjoyed the day with your family.. :P

Robbie Bautista said...

Congrats on your Valentine's Special! Hihihi. Ang cute niyong lahat! :D

At talagang gusto ko nang matry ang Gayuma ni Maria!!!

thatssoron said...

happy v day!

Jinkee Umali said...

Seeing this post let me miss my family, Papa and Mama..We suppose to go to their house but its kinda late after the hot air balloon...Will definitely visit them this weekdays...

Will said...

Kakakain ko lang ng dinner, nakita ko food nyo, nagutom na naman ako. Happy valentines to you and your family! :D

Smar said...

Haha, that's okay, masarap din naman Chooks to Go! :) My dad loves Chooks to Go :)

Happy Valentine's Day Mai!

Smar said...

First Romance!! :D hehehehe, pinanood ko yun sa sinehan! :)

Kaw, ang lupet ng Valentine's celebration niyo, hataw na hataw ka :D

maierz said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Smarla!! :) Sarap ng Valentine's dinner nio at home made me miss Gayuma ni Maria! Chooks to Go lang kami HAHAHA

Jayvie said...

wahahahaha panalo ang mga pagkain! please be careful with my heart, i love you cross my heart, broken promises lol

pinalabas kagabi sa Cinema One yung First Romance, hehe. wala lang, theme song nun yung please be careful with my heart eeeeeeh.

aaaaaaaaaaaaw ang saya saya at naglalagabLOVE ang celebration ah! laveeeeeeit :D

Smar said...

Yeah buti na lang masarap pa rin. :) Some kasi parang nagiging oily ang food or lusaw pag take out. Kailangan mapili rin sa food na tinitake out. When I was younger, people told me I looked more like my dad. I guess my mom's genes are kicking in. Haha

MrsMartinez said...

You look a lot like your mom! Buti masarap ang take out noh? Sometimes kasi feeling ko pag take out hindi na masarap pag dating sa house eh hehe
xoxo
MrsM

ildkinga said...

Recently I was extremely low on money and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money on the internet. I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I've been far more able to pay my bills! I'm so glad, I did this! - ru1f