Don't let this seemingly simple store front fool you.
Behind this normal looking store front lies one of the most magical restaurants I've ever been to. With such a romantic ambiance, it's hard not to get bitten by the love bug. Welcome to Cafe Juanita!
Tucked away in Kapitolyo, Pasig, Cafe Juanita is one of those not-easily-commutable restaurants that's worth the trip. If you do get lost and/or get stuck in traffic in pursuit of Cafe Juanita, I tell you, it's worth it. Despite sporting a painful taxi fee from the heavy Ortigas Avenue traffic, I instantly fell in love with the bohemian vibe of the restaurant when RJ and I walked in.
People with obsessive-compulsive disorder might suffocate here since it's a hodgepodge of lamps, chandeliers and antiques, all bursting with enchanting colors! For the artistic and free spirited ones, Cafe Juanita is a living and breathing artwork.
There are several dining set ups to choose from, each with its own story to tell. However, since RJ and I arrived in the middle of their lunch schedule, we were directed to the first table that freed up.
Our seats had a more Filipino charm to it which I love. The walls are lined with native inspired tops and ceramic plate paintings of Filipino artists. Even their chairs are wrapped like Christmas presents using native cloth from different parts of the country.
However, since we were already dying of hunger, we decided to order first before taking pictures of the restaurant.
![]() |
| Bagnet (Php298) |
![]() |
| Special Dinuguan (Php215) |
After one sinful dish, we were lured in by another, their Special Dinuguan. This authentic Filipino pork dish is another Cafe Juanita bestseller. Instead of deep frying it like bagnet, the pork is simmered in thick, spicy gravy of pig blood with garlic, chili and vinegar. As if it's not sinful enough, it's even topped off with crunchy chicharon (deep fried pork skin). The richness and oiliness of the sauce is then balanced off with grated green mango toppings.
In our household, I'm the only Dinuguan eater so I was so happy to find another blood lover in RJ (insert vampire fangs here). Haha. Both of us really enjoyed their Dinuguan that we kept pouring it all over our rice (Php35/cup of rice). In fact, we couldn't get enough of their sauce that we both had extra orders of rice just to fully savor every drop. Underneath that pool of savory bitter-sour-spicy sauce, was a spoonful after spoonful of pork meat - perfect for all that rice!
![]() |
| Sticky Toffee Pudding (Php89) |
At this point, Cafe Juanita has already etched its way to our hearts. However, Cafe Juanita has found a way to further steal our hearts with their house specialty dessert, Sticky Toffee Pudding. Bathed in a river of light caramel sauce, the cold vanilla ice cream melted beautifully on top of this warm and shyly sweet pudding. There was a creative tension of warmth and coldness and sweet and subtle sweetness with every bite - a truly heavenly dessert! Ordering this dessert demands some waiting time but we ordered it again anyway since it was SO GOOD. We were even tempted to order it for the third time in the same visit! Haha.
So if this Valentine's Day is THE Valentine's Day, better make it a magically romantic date at Cafe Juanita. Not only will its food nurture your hearts, its eclectic interior will also bring out the romantic in everyone.
Happy Valentine's Day!
PS. The lights and antiques in Cafe Juanita are for sale. :) You can actually purchase them there.
More Info on Cafe Juanita:
Address: 19 United St. cor. West Capitol Drive, Barrio Kapitolyo, Pasig City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
Contact: (02) 632-0357
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Su, M, T, W, Th, Sa: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
F: 5:30 pm - 12:00 mn
Budget: Php350-500/head
Payment: Cash, Visa, Mastercard, Amex Service Charge: 4%
Outfit: Casual
Other Branches: Burgos Circle, Bonifacio Global City
Note: Best to have a reservation since they have a crazy lunch and dinner crowd! :)
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~









15 comments:
Awww I didn't get to try the Adobo and the Cassava cake. Sa next visit na lang :)
thank you so much! :D
Love Cafe Juanita! Especialyl the Adobo 2 Ways and the Special Cassava Cake. By the way, I nominated you for Stylish Blogger Award, I hope you drop by my blog to accept it!
Yes, I must go to Cafe Ysabel :) I also want to try Portia's restaurant in Marikina, Isabelo :)
Yaaaaay! let me know kung kamusta experience niyo sa Cafe Juanita :)
Yup, super romantic restaurant :) at sobrang in demand din!
Happy hearts day to you to Becky! :)
I haven't been to Kashmir yet eh :) pero sige bibisitahin ko :)
Sige next time yun naman ittry ko! :D thanks fave! dapat double date tayo :)
kaibigan, ayaw mo magyaya? :)
i knew it, you simply can't ignore the place, after having been at Romulo Cafe.
now, next is Cafe Ysabel.
weehh.. super sweet.. I asked Ian na i try namin yan one time.. and guess what, he said "YES!" yahoo!!!
I haven't been there! Hay, yayayain ko si hubby pagdating!
Happy hearts day ms smarla :)
have you ever had that feeling that the interior is somewhat or slightly reminiscent to Kashmir?
I just ate here a while ago! I strongly recommend their Molo Soup, Catfish Mango Salad, and Sisig with Tofu! You should try those next time! :)
Post a Comment