Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day # 3: A Xiao Long Bao Date at Lugang Cafe

When the Chinese New Year falls on the same month as Valentine's Day, it's inevitable to have a joint post for the Search for the Best Xiao Long Bao and 14 Romantic Restaurants for Valentine's Day

So here's part 4 of my Chinese New Year food trip special and # 3 for my Valentine's Day food trip special - Lugang Cafe. Before we begin, feast your eyes on our towering dessert! 

After my three part Xiao Long Bao post (part 1, part 2 and part 3), a lot of my friends recommended the quite newly opened Taiwanese restaurant that's causing so much traffic along Connecticut Street in Greenhills, Lugang Cafe


RJ and I then decided to have our monthsary celebration in this Shanghai-based Bellagio restaurant branch
I've heard about the crazy lunch and dinner crowd in Lugang Cafe so I tried to make a reservation prior to our visit. However after 20 attempts at calling their landline (it's either busy or no one's picking up), I finally got through but I was told that they only accept reservations for groups of 8 or more. 
Waiting Area and the 1st Floor Dining Area
We then had to wait for around 15 minutes to be seated. This didn't bother me at all since I was heavily distracted by their elegant holding area, lined by their golden wall of woven leaves with overhead majestic drop lights. 


Though the 2nd floor carries the same impressive white leather seats mixed with deep violet velvet seats and plush couches, the other people on the waiting list preferred the 1st floor dining area. I guess they'd rather watch the chefs cook in their open kitchen than gaze at the long dragon painting spanning almost the entire length of the 2nd floor. 
Steamed Pork Xiao Long Bao (Php188/7 pieces)
After 3 xiao long bao trips, I was eager to try Lugang Cafe's version of Xiao Long Bao. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that they carry two variants: Steamed Pork Xiao Long Bao and Steamed Angled Loofah with Shrimp Xiao Long Bao, both priced at Php188 with 7 pieces. For comparison purposes, we ordered the classic one. 


Lugang Cafe's version is cheaper by a few pesos as opposed to Crystal Jade's (Php158/5 pieces) on a per piece basis, albeit more expensive per order. Visually, their xiao long bao is smaller with seemingly less soup inside. Though the skin is quite thicker, it also easily breaks to release the warm soup. I must say I like theirs better than Suzhou's and Shi Lin's but I still have to hand "The Best Xiao Long Bao" title to Crystal Jade. Crystal Jade's xiao long bao soup and meat are tastier and the skin is more delicate.  


For the record, it's RJ's first xiao long bao and he really loved it. He even raved about Lugang Cafe's xiao long bao to his friends. Awww! :)
Taiwanese Stewed Minced Pork Bowl (Php160)
We ordered another House Special, Taiwanese Stewed Minced Pork. Swimming in a savory sauce, this pork dish is so tender that it almost melts in your mouth like butter. The sauce is really good that I enjoyed eating it with rice (Php70/cup of rice) even after we finished all the pork. There's also a surprise whole boiled egg inside, reminiscent of Adobong Itlog back in my Girl Scout Days. (Haha, yes I was a girl scout :P) 
Three-Cup Chicken (Php290)
We also had their Three-Cup Chicken, yet another House Special. The name is based on its ingredients: 1 cup of sesame oil, 1 cup of rice wine and 1 cup of soy sauce. By just listing down the ingredients, it's obviously a fragrant dish, especially with the fresh basil topping. 


Though a little hard to eat because of its slippery sauce coating, seemingly so chopsticks resistant, you'll fight hard to take a bite of these mini chicken chops. We're aware that Lugang Cafe is such a classy restaurant, but we admittedly (and shamefully, hehe) used our hands for chicken pieces with bones. Heavily drenched in a delectable sweet oriental sauce, it's hard to resist letting go of those meat strategically tucked underneath the bones. We don't regret our choice of weapon at all. :P
Bellagio Breeze (Php248)
Bellagio is known for its desserts in Shanghai so I begged RJ to feed my sweet tooth. We then ordered their Bellagio Breeze because of their visually tempting photograph in the menu. Covered in a thin layer of beans, this towering shaved ice dessert is bound to elicit wows. It's perfect for sharing for 4-5 persons but RJ and I finished this all by ourselves. We were also shivering to death afterwards from all that ice! Haha. Though the pineapple chunks, ube mochi and black sago at the base add a beautiful texture dimension to this dessert, it's still too expensive since it's simply composed of 60% shaved ice. 
Overall, RJ and I had a great monthsary lunch in Lugang Cafe. I especially enjoyed watching RJ's reaction to his first xiao long bao. I now understand why Lugang Cafe is so busy even after its first three months of operation.

So if you're looking for great Taiwanese food this Valentine's Day, you might want to make it a Xiao Long Bao date at Lugang Cafe! Just make sure you come early so you can snag two seats for you and your date. 

Happy Valentine's Day!

PS. I took my own advice and had letter doughnuts made for our monthsary, check them out! :) 


More Info on Lugang Cafe:
Address: 116 Connecticut St., Northeast Greenhills, San Juan City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
Commuting Instructions: Take the LRT 2 until Gilmore Station then take a cab to Connecticut Street. 
Contact: (02) 775-7599 
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 11:00 am - 2:15 pm
                          Su, M, T, W, Th: 6:00 pm - 9:15 pm
                          F, Sa: 6:00 pm - 10:15 pm
Budget: Php350-500/head
Service Charge: 10%
Payment: Cash, Mastercard, Visa
Outfit: Casual
Note: Make sure to have a reservation for groups of 8 or more


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

10 comments:

Smar said...

Yes super nice ambiance! :) medyo intimidating at first but really stunning interiors :)

John Ray Cabrera said...

this is one of the most wonderful dating places i want to go. mukha kaseng ok yung ambiance nya.

Smar said...

Tama! guys nagpaparinig si Robbie! :))

Robbie Bautista said...

Sige hihintayin ko na lang na may manlibre sakin nung Bellagio Breeze. Wahahaha Try ko muna ibang desserts nila. :D

Smar said...

Yes maganda yung painting ng dragon! There's always a dragon painting in all Bellagio restaurants around the world. :)

Haha hindi nga photogenic pero stunning in personal. Too bad it's mostly ice kaya asar na asar si RJ. :D Mukhang masarap yung ibang desserts nila though, after all kilala sila for their desserts.

Smar said...

Haha super tangkad talaga. Mashshock ka at mapapaisip paano kainin. But it's too expensive for me. Better to order their other desserts :)

Smar said...

Haha Lugang Cafe kasi is the direct translation of their Chinese restaurant name, Bellagio :D

They have meals naman na less than Php250 :) Yung desserts nila yung talagang pricey and their rice! Php70/cup of rice

Robbie Bautista said...

Ok nagulat naman ako sa primary photo. Grabeng dessert yan. Gusto ko ma-try kasi ang weird ng itsura. Hindi siya photogenic. Hahahaha. Pero mukhang mura lang dyan. Ang layo nga lang, as usual. =))

What got my interest though is you mentioning a huge painting of a dragon. Parang gusto kong makita yun. Hahaha offtopic.

Paolo said...

That dessert looks...

...scary!

Hmmm. I'd like to have a taste of that. :)

Rackell Lumberio said...

weeehh.. lugang cafe.. natawa naman sqa name ng resto.. pero mukhang masarap dyan ha, yun ng lang pricey.. hehe