Searching for some freshly rolled Xiao Long Bao?
You can watch them rolled right before you at Shi Lin!
After my first xiao long bao trip, my friend, Kat, recommended the quite newly opened, Shi Lin in Podium. So last December, my college friends and I decided to have our Christmas reunion there.
A minimalist Chinese restaurant, aglow with modern lanterns, Shi Lin is one of Kat's favorite date places. Indeed, the restaurant's tall glass windows paint a romantic view of the city lights.
Since I wasn't with RJ during my visit, I was more enamored by their culinary entertainment. Like watching a live MasterChef show, watching their cooks roll out dimsum can be quite an engaging show. After all, their cooks are trained in Taiwan so expect authentic Taiwanese cuisine whipped up before your eyes.
![]() |
| Green Peppermint Tea (Php135) |
![]() |
| Noodles with Spicy Sesame and Peanut Sauce (Php130) |
Blazing in fiery orange peanut sauce, these noodles were overwhelmingly spicy at first bite. It will trigger a tear or two before the hint of peanut wonderfully reveals itself. I must warn you, this dish is mighty flavorful! Great thing the leaf of bokchoy allows room to temper the spiciness. The noodles too, a bit on the chewy side, play a vital role in balancing out the flavors of this dish. The serving's small though so we were hungry for more food!
![]() |
| Shrimp and Pork Shaomai (Php135/6 pcs) |
With their open kitchen, Shi Lin evidently takes pride in their freshly rolled dimsum so we ordered their Shrimp and Pork Shaomai. Each piece was artistically shaped like a flower with a crown of small shrimp. They're not as packed as the dimsums in Suzhou but the thickness of the skin was spot on.
![]() |
| Xiao Long Bao (Php108/6 pcs) |
And of course, every Shi Lin visit will not be complete without a steaming basket of Xiao Long Bao or soupy dumplings. Though a smaller xiao long bao as opposed to Suzhou's, Shi Lin's soup and thickness of skin won me over. Their xiao long bao's soup has more flavor depth into it, needing very little black vinegar to complete the taste. And with thinner skin, the soup easily breaks inside my mouth. Shi Lin's xiao long bao's eating instructions recommend poking the xiao long bao though before eating it but I'd rather have it my way. :)
The group was split on our Shi Lin visit because of the small servings and the taste of some of their individual dishes. One wasn't particularly happy with their Vegetable & Pork Dumplings for the lack of pork. As for me, I'm just so happy that I found a better xiao long bao. It's a step closer to the description of xiao long bao that hasn't left my mind ever since. I'm still on the lookout for the best xiao long bao though and hopefully, I get to try even more to celebrate Chinese New Year. :)
More Info on Shi Lin:
Address: 3rd Floor, Podium, 18 ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City
Map: Click Here
Contact: (02) 477-4108
Operating Hours: 11AM-10AM Sun-Sat
Budget: Php150-200/head
Payment: Cash, Mastercard, Visa
Outfit: Casual
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~








10 comments:
Ahhh interesting. Meron nito sa Binondo no? Gusto ko ma-try. Hehehe.
yeah, madalas ngang puno dito. nakakaintriga din kasi yung open kitchen. :)
In terms of texture ng wrapper, mas malapit ang xiao long bao sa siomai :) "xiaolong" means "steaming basket" kasi it's cooked and served there. ang main difference is may soup sa loob yung xiao long bao. so pagkagat mo, may soup na kasama :)
let me know how's your Shi Lin experience :) mixed reviews nakukuha ko from friends :)
Haha, well the restaurant's name is based on that :)
eto yung gusto naming kainan sa podium. kaso baka maraming tao during meal time.
Wow ngayon lang ako nakakita ng shrimp siomai! Must try.
Okay... this is gonna sound silly pero dati ko pa kasi gusto itanong. Hehehe. Ano difference ng Xiao Long Bao sa Siopao? Sa blog mo lang ako nakarinig niyan eh. Hehehe.
I loovvvvvve xiao long bao! Haven't tried the ones from Shi Lin but will definitely try them now :)
And I thought you went to Taipei because of the restaurant's name Shi Lin hehe
xoxo
MrsM
Hmm I'm not sure pero most likely meron :) Hindi rin kasi available ang xiao long bao sa most Chinese restos here. Chcheck ko :D
Post a Comment