Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Weekend in Baguio Pt 1/3: A Filipino Lunch at Solibao

We're finally in Baguio! 

Right after my birthday buffet dinner in Sambo Kojin, RJ and I took a six hour bus ride to Baguio. 


Our main agenda wasn't really to prolong my birthday celebration but to attend his friend's graduation from Philippine Military Academy (PMA). 
Wow. PMA. I don't think I can even survive PMA for a day! Okay - I know I won't even survive PMA for a day since I can't even run a good 3k fun run. Kudos to our friend Jomar for finishing four years of PMA. *clap clap*
With no time to eat and barely any sleep from the travel, RJ and I took a taxi to PMA as soon as we arrived in Baguio. Security was extra tight that day so only the PMA bus could take us all the way up to the graduation site. 

Since we weren't Jomar's parents, we sat with the rest of the crowd on the uphill grounds facing the field. Jomar had to fill us in with the president's speech, for we could barely hear the sound system from our seats. 
With 197 graduates, the graduation lasted until noon and ended with a light rain shower. The weather and lack of transportation made it almost impossible for us to leave the vicinity so we were forced to walk all the way down for almost an hour with rumbling stomachs. 

Soon a taxi came to our rescue and brought us to Session Road for our much awaited first meal of the day. I had a long list of restaurants to visit but we were too hungry to be picky. We simply entered the first restaurant that had available seats for lunch - Solibao Filipino Restaurant, "For The Best In Filipino Food". 
Solibao Rice (Php40/cup, Php130/platter)
Unarmed with our usual food blog reviews, ordering became a guessing game. Just because it carried the restaurant's name, I ordered a cup of their Solibao Rice. It's a day old rice tossed with scrambled egg and a couple of vegetable chunks. Though comfortingly mushy in texture, the rice was very bland and was in dire need of seasoning. 
Instant Spanish Cocoa (Ala Taza) (Php45)
The cold weather of Baguio tempted me into ordering their Hot Cocoa. I initially wanted their Native Hot Cocoa but the waiter insisted that I try their Instant Spanish Cocoa instead. The word "instant" irked me but I gave my cup of cocoa's fate in his hands and I ended up sipping a watery cup of cocoa that was simply that - instant. Boo.
Binagoongang Lechon Kawali (Php260)
Since we thoroughly enjoyed Cafe Juanita's Bagnet with Bagoong Sauce, we ordered Solibao's Binagoongang Lechon Kawali. The Lechon Kawali was well cooked but we could barely make out the bagoong flavor. 
Kilawen Puso ng Saging (Php225)
We also had their Kilawen Puso ng Saging on the side - a dish that now merits an insider remark whenever I would make bad call. I ordered this dish, exuding with confidence in Puso ng Saging, only to find myself shying away from it. We barely finished half of it. Probably some coconut milk would make it more palatable to my liking . 

Hmm.. a lunch of bad calls? 
RJ and I looked around at the other tables and concluded that we ordered "the wrong  food." Though I don't believe that "ordering the wrong food" is a valid excuse, I'm willing to give Solibao another try. After all, the restaurant was packed with customers repeatedly ordering Kare-Kare, Pancit and Puto Bumbong. 
On our future second visit, we'll also opt for their other branches since they seem homier than their Session Road branch. 

Though our palates weren't satisfied, we were just happy to eat lunch and regain our energy to crusade through the entire stretch of Session Road that afternoon. Time to visit the restaurants on my list!

More Info on Solibao:
Address: Session Road, Baguio City 
Contact: (074) 442 3867
Operating Hours: Mon-Sun 7:00AM-10:00PM
Budget: Php300/head
Payment Options: Cash, Visa, Mastercard
Outfit: Casual
Other Branches: Burnham Park, Baguio City and Heritage Mansion, Abanao Extension, Baguio City


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

19 comments:

Smar said...

Wala naman akong naencounter na street thugs or snatchers during my visit or hindi ko napansin. Sobrang daming tao lang talaga sa Session Road nung dumating kami. Nagulat nga kami kasi kakatapos lang ng festival when we came.

Wow talaga? I'm sure super sarap nun! Sayang naman, ngayon nagiging uso na yung mga instant pero I'm sure super sarap nga ng galing sa cocoa fruit :)

John Ray Cabrera said...

i used to climb up to baguio every quarter, until i realized that the place is teeming with street thugs and snatchers. oh well, lahat naman, kaso this should be addressed in baguio being a vacation place and tourist destination.

before we used to mill spanish type cocoa made from cocoa fruits cultured in our farm. that was our business before until there came Ricoa. hahaha.

Smar said...

Hindi ako nakakain dun :( Sayang! My brother was there din sa weekend ng Panagbenga. Super dami nga raw tao at puro sponsored yung floats - puro company floats. :)

Ed said...

We were in Baguio on the last day of the Panagbenga festival. side trip lang for a day after our trip in Sagada. daming tao. feel ko mas maganda pag di masyado ganun karami. pero food was great. we ate at Oh My Gulay! sa session road. :D

Smar said...

No :( it was on my list of restos to try but we barely had time to go around, sayang talaga. Do you have a review on it? :)

Smar said...

Yes I still have 2 more Baguio posts! :D i just need time to write them :)

Smar said...

Yeah I'll try their other meals kasi hindi rin kami natuwa sa inorder namin pero ang dami nilang customers parati so I'm going to try again :)

Christian | Lakad Pilipinas said...

Hmm di pa namin na try Solibao, thanks for the review.
Nasubukan nyo sa Oh My Gulay? =)

Jayvie said...

nyah! sabagay, baka mas masarap nga yung ibang food nila. :D
sige i'll wait for your other posts pa. :D

skysenshi said...

And they give you daw exact change hahaha! :D

Smar said...

Yes I will be posting more pics! :D kayo ah, bakit kayo nagwewedding expo? :P

Smar said...

I haven't been to a lot of parts of Baguio too! And I loooove the taxi rates in Baguio, makes me want to stay there! Php25 base + Php1 --> the best!

Smar said...

When my friend was there, he kept texting me how much I'll love the Taiwan Night Market! Gosh I haven't been there and I really want to go!

pinaytraveljunkie said...

It's been ages since I last dined in Solibao. We've been living in Baguio for 4 months now and di pa ako bumabalik because the last time we were there, parang mali din na-order namin. Maybe we should try again soon :)

Rackell Lumberio said...

weehh.. so sweet naman ng birthday getaway nyo.. I hope you enjoy your weekend in baguio.. more picture please...

skysenshi said...

Ya know, I've never actually been to that part of Baguio. Now I wanna go back. Haha!

AVA said...

You always have a trail of restos to go to, smarla :) Makes me want to take you to taiwan night market!:) hehe. Congrats to your friend!!

Smar said...

yung natry naming Solibao yung nasa Session Road :)

Theofratus Aurelius said...

saang part ng bagyo yang kinainan niyo?