Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Weekend in Baguio Part 2/3: Midnight Snack at Pizza Volante

A 24-hour pizza joint along the street that never sleeps.

It doesn't matter whether it's 8AM or 10PM, Session Road is constantly pulsating with so much life. Perfect - because we barely have time to spare to exhaustively explore Baguio. 
After spending the entire morning at the PMA graduation, RJ and I decided to go to mass. Going to the Cathedral was one physically challenging Alay Lakad experience as we dragged ourselves up the steep, seemingly endless flight of stairs. It was a glaring proof of how unhealthy we were! Nonetheless, the magnificent beauty of the Church and the mass celebration made the climb worth it.
We spent the rest of the afternoon transversing the length of the busy Session Road. Despite arriving a week after the Panagbenga Festival, Session Road was still loaded with human traffic. Food and crafts concessionaires lined the entire street as the hypnotizing beat from the live band pumped up the crowd. We were singing along with everyone else as we ate our way through Session Road's street foods. 
We also bought our own adorable head gears to join in in the never ending celebration in Session Road. And despite the jam-packed street, we surprisingly bumped into our orgmate, Paula. Hi Paula! 
Soon we went up to SM Baguio for Jomar's graduation dinner in Savory. Living only across their home, Jomar is brimming with nostalgic childhood memories with RJ. He then graciously filled me in with a lot of juicy childhood stories! Hahaha. :P 
After sharing a few drinks and even more embarrassing childhood stories, we called it a night since we were set to leave early for Manila the next morning. 
Just before hitting the sack, we went back to the never ending party in Session Road for a late midnight snack at Pizza Volante. I had a long list of 10 restaurants to visit but given the time constraints, I was so lucky that Volante was open 24/7. 
I made it a must to try Volante's pizza before leaving Baguio, given its abundance in raving online reviews. Located right across Solibao, this simple local pizza store stands out amongst the commercialized pizza chains along Session Road with its unique gourmet pizza flavors such as Smoked Salmon Pizza, Chili Con Carne Pizza and Pizza Bolognese.
Kenny George Pizza (Php87/6", Php169/ 8", Php246/"12, Php495/"14)
RJ and I tried their bestseller, Kenny George Pizza, "an impromptu combination first prepared for two best friends, with Hanna Sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and mozzarella cheese. 

The thin crust was soft, chewy and drowning in sweet tomato sauce and lip smacking mozzarella cheese. Truly they didn't scrimp on the ingredients! Albeit good, it wasn't as special as I expected it to be. It doesn't deviate much from other commercialized pizzas. Honestly, I like Derf's Pizza and Gino's Pizza a lot more. 

Despite that, RJ and I were so happy to finally cross out 1 restaurant from my long list. And given Pizza Volante's 24/7 operations, I can have pizza at any time of the day! Hey, a slice of pizza for breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack - I can get use to that. :)


More Info on Pizza Volante:
Address: 82 Session Rd., Baguio City, Benguet, Philippines
Contact: (074) 445-0777, (074) 619-0466 
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 12:00 mn - 12:00 mn
Budget: Php150-200/head
Payment Methods: Cash, Visa, Mastercard
Outfit: Casual
Delivery: within 15-30 minutes
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

6 comments:

Smar said...

Yeah it's so busy. It would take us 30-45minutes just to reach the other end because of the human traffic :P

Smar said...

hahaha nakauwi na ako eh :P

John Ray Cabrera said...

pasalubong ko ha. kahit pizza man lang. :)

Ed said...

I am reminded about how busy Session Road was when we went there. if it would've been quieter, i think i'd enjoy it more. hehe

Smar said...

Yup! :D i want to try their other pizza flavors next time. Welcome back to my blog Badet! :D How's your baby?

Badet said...

I miss Pizza Volante, love their pizzas!