If relocating to Baguio means having breakfast THIS GOOD every single day, then I'm seriously tempted!
After our trip to Baguio, RJ and I would occasionally whimper, "I miss Baguio." With a chilly weather, cheap taxi fair, and an abundant supply of fresh vegetables and fruits, who wouldn't fall in love with Baguio? And after that glorious breakfast in Cafe by the Ruins, relocating to Baguio actually crossed my mind.
Cafe by the Ruins lays on the remains of the home of the first civil governor in Benguet, Phelps Whitmarsh. The house was destroyed in World War II and to date, a soulful cafe of bamboo poles and weaves stands on this ground amidst the lush greenery.
The energy and the artistic vibe runs strong in the cafe as the interiors are heavily adorned by pieces of folk art and paintings by local Baguio artists. Owned and run by artists, the overflowing creativity continues to pour over to the menu, which regularly varies according to the season. They feature fresh vegetables and fruits in their best season and utilize natural and local ingredients unique to the region.
![]() |
| Arabica Coffee (Included in Breakfast meal) |
![]() |
| Dark, Bittersweet Chocolate (Php140) |
Caressed by the chilly morning breeze of Baguio, I couldn't imagine a better place to sip a steaming cup of smooth Arabica Coffee. It was indeed soul gratifying! I further gave in to my desires and had a tiny tasa of their thick Dark, Bittersweet Chocolate. It's made of pure chocolate tablea mixed with carabao milk, cream, moscovado sugar and cinnamon. Dark chocolate lovers will surely swoon over this!
![]() |
| Fisherman's Breakfast (Php230) |
Like an artist's canvas, our breakfast meals were splashing with colors. Now ain't that the best way to start the day? RJ had their Fisherman's Breakfast that elicited several mmm's from him that he actually forgot to share his meal with me. Haha! It has Daing na Dalag that's fried crisp like bacon and served with grilled tomatoes and egg, cooked the way you like it. I didn't get to taste this dish but based on his reactions, it'll make you wish you were a fisherman.
![]() |
| Filipino Lon-si-log (Php245) |
I had their Filipino Lon-Si-Log, a hearty breakfast of longganisang hubad, sinangag and sunny side up egg. If I'm not mistaken, they served their mountain rice instead, which I really didn't mind since it went perfectly well with the sharpness of the inherent vinegar taste of the longganisa. The longganisa was a little too overpowering but I loved my breakfast nonetheless.
![]() |
| Fruits (included in Breakfast Meal) |
And to wrap up our spirited breakfast, they served us the region's fresh off the market fruits of papaya, melon and strawberries. Each piece so succulent and sweet that I couldn't imagine a better dessert that morning. Mmmm.... If only I could have this everyday...
So even if I missed out on 8/10 of my list of Baguio restaurants to go to, Cafe by the Ruins made my short Baguio trip deliciously memorable. It may be a little more expensive than other Baguio restaurants but it's worth every peso. I can't wait to bathe myself even more with the ingenious artistic spirit that energizes Cafe by the Ruins. Honestly, I'm so tempted to relocate in Baguio because of the cafe. I can actually imagine myself typing away in my laptop with a cup of Arabica Coffee by my side in Cafe by the Ruins every morning. :)
More Info on Cafe by The Ruins:
Address: 23 Chuntug Road, Baguio City, Philippines
Landmarks: Across Baguio City Hall
Map: Click Here
Contact: cafebytheruins@gmail.com; info@cafebytheruins.com; (+6374) 442-4010
Operating Hours: Mon - Sun 7:00 am-9:00 pm
Budget: Php250-400/headPayment Methods: Cash, Visa, Mastercard, American Express
Outfit: Casual
Related Baguio Posts:
A Weekend in Baguio Pt 1/3: A Filipino Lunch at Solibao
A Weekend in Baguio Pt 2/3: Midnight Snack at Pizza Volante
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~









29 comments:
Nice! First time I've heard of the place. Ang cool ng artworks. And nakakagutom ng Fisherman's Breakfast. :D
The service was okay, but the food was average. The price I guess is really what turned us off. Parang it was too overpriced for the taste.
Sayang ang ganda pa naman ng ambience ng lugar.
Talaga? anong inorder niyo? bakit kayo nadisappoint? service? food?
I knooooow! hahahaha actually ang dami ngang korean boys doon - well sa lahat naman yata ng lugar ngayon. kahit sa boracay at subic!
Uy buti pa kayo nag enjoy sa Ruins, twice na namin sinubukan yan kaso both times disappointed kami..
It's a little pricey nga for Baguio price pero super saraaaap! :D
Yuuuup! sobrang saraaaap! sana sa manila ganoong kadali rin kumuha ng fresh produce :D
Yup super ganda talaga ng presentation at ang artistic talaga ng vibe ng place. :D sobrang sarap tumambay the whole day! at yes, ang sarap ng fruits! I envy people from Baguio :P
Well I've never lodged at The Manor so that makes us even. Hahaha I've only entered their lobby :P
Me too!! if only I could travel every morning to have breakfast there :P
Tara lipat na tayo sa Baguio! Maghahanap ako ng Korean boyfran. Chos! Hahahaha.
But yeah... malamig all year, fresh produce, honest cab drivers, tourists. San ka pa?!
Okay. Medyo pricey pero pupuntahan ko to for sure!
wow, sarap ng fisherman's breakfast at nag uumapaw fresh and organic yumminess.
sarap tignan ng food! galing ng pagkapresent. of course, the fruits are the best part (for me). parang added bonus and it's great when it's included in th meal already!
Wah, everyone's talking about this place but I have never been here! Last time I went to Baguio was ages ago and we only stayed inside Camp John Hay since we lodged at The Manor. Now I want to go back just to experience this place!
I sooo wanna go to baguio just because I wanna eat there!
sayang! pero okay lang yan, Baguio is only 1 bus ride away naman :)
ang sarap kasi kumain sa Baguio at sobrang sarap magkape kasi malamig :D plus 25 pesos lang yung base ng taxi nila at 1.50 lang ang patak. crazy! :D
eeeeeeeh! mamimiss ka namin pag nagrelocate ka dun! gusto ng breakfast!!!!!!!!! :D
weehh.. i want to try Cafe by the Ruin's .. sad to say di namin na try yan nung nag punta kami dyan.. I know super nag enjoy kayo dyan ni RJ.. more pictures please.. hehe
weehh.. i want to try Cafe by the Ruin's .. sad to say di namin na try yan nung nag punta kami dyan.. I know super nag enjoy kayo dyan ni RJ.. more pictures please.. hehe
you're welcome! :D it's really a must visit restaurant in Baguio. :)
yup it tastes really good! :D
Oh my gosh, I've been missing a whole lot pala. Thanks for the photos!
The dark chocolate looks good!
Super ganda ng place :D as in nainlove ako sa place :) marami pa silang desserts and breads na gusto kong itry next time :)
thank you so much Ana! :D ang ganda ng place diba? sobrang nakakainlove. :)
Geo took me here last year! :D Namiss ko tuloy, ang sarap ng foods nila! :) Love your photos, smarla :))
Really? Well taste is very subjective naman talaga. :) What are your favorite restaurants in Baguio?
Post a Comment