Just when I thought I knew Maginhawa street inside and out, another restaurant takes me by surprise.
We've celebrated our monthsary along Maginhawa street for so many times and we couldn't resist the urge to visit it again after my Tita texted me about a restaurant there. She was told that the restaurant's cook is a real Italian chef. We searched online but to no avail, so we decided to celebrate our late monthsary date in Henry's Grille to find out.
The waiter warmly greeted us and graciously heeded to our multiple requests for a change of seating due to lighting concerns. We arrived shortly after 7 PM with a few diners inside, finishing off their last few sips from their beer bottles, juxtaposed with a band that was just setting up.
Soon we were the only diners left with a highly interactive acoustic band, led by Pinoy Idol Finalist, Sherwin Marquez. They entertained us and responded to all of our song requests, no matter how crazy they were. Yes, they hilariously attempted to sing Eminem's rap part in "Love the Way You Lie" and even Phantom of the Opera's "All I Ask of You". What a range of requests huh? Haha. In all fairness, it was the first time I heard an acoustic version of Phantom of the Opera and they did justice to the song.
Crowned by dim lights and graceful draping of sheets, backdropped against a small garden, Henry's Grill exudes a sophisticated yet relaxed atmosphere - perfect for sharing a few drinks with friends over good food and music.
![]() |
| Shrimp Popcorn (Php190) |
![]() |
| Chicken Ala Henry (Php195) |
![]() |
| Grilled Kare-Kare (Php270) |
Another house specialty, their Grilled Kare-Kare, tasted very different from its counterparts in Romulo Cafe and Cafe Juanita. Aside from having grilled beef cubes, the peanut sauce had a very dark and roasted nutty taste, which lasted quite long on the palate. It may be a richer and bolder kare-kare but I thoroughly enjoyed their own spin on this classic Filipino dish.
| Henry's Fried Rice (Php150) |
To top it all off, RJ and I also had their Henry's Fried Rice - a dish we'd later regret ordering due to its strong flavor. We would have fully appreciated their fried rice if only our other orders weren't as equally powerful in taste. It would, however, go wonderfully with more subtle dishes such as steamed seafood.
Though Henry's Grille is more of a drinking place, RJ and I still had a great monthsary dinner there. The service was impeccable and the band's laid back and friendly disposition drew us in, along with other diners, that we decided to stay for awhile to enjoy the music even after eating. The band even reawakened my long shelved dream of becoming a lead vocalist. :P
Aside from the service and entertainment, Henry's Grille's food will surely merit another visit from me. I NEED to have another one piece of those Shrimp Popcorn! I still can't confirm if an Italian cook is really behind Henry's Grille's food since it wasn't written anywhere in the restaurant and I didn't see a foreign looking chef in the kitchen. But whoever the chef is, RJ and I are big fans of his cooking!
Once again, Maginhawa Street delivered another unforgettable monthsary dinner. :)
More Info on Henry's Grille:
Address: 131 Maginhawa Street, Teacher's Village East, Quezon City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
Landmark: Across Bayantel building
Contact: (632) 433-4782, 024263567, 639202223680
Operating Hours: Mon-Fri
Budget: Php250-300/head
Payment Methods: Cash, Visa, Mastercard, American ExpressOutfit: Casual
Notes: Acoustic Night every Friday by Sherwin Marquez
Other Maginhawa Street Restaurants:
Cocina Juan: The Winner Central American Dinner on 10-10-10
Delish: Where I Fell In Love with Oysters & Waiters
Kiss Your Date and Kiss the Cook
A Spellbinding Love Potion at Gayuma ni Maria
If You Feel Like Cutting Off Your Ear Today, Just Drop by Van Gogh is Bipolar First
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~







18 comments:
I agree! :D lalo na yung mga acoustic songs lang. naststress ako kapag metal yung sounds tapos kumakain ako. :P
Hahaha basta ba kaduet kita! ;) ako si phantom ah :))
sarap kumain basta may magaling na banda na kasama! :D
wow! first time ko lang narinig yang grilled kare-kare! mukhang yummy! i like! hehe
songer ka pala smarsmar eh! kantahin mo naman please yung All I Ask of You hihi :D
yup lalo na yung shrimp popcorn :D sarap talaga!
Everything you guys ate sounds fantastic!
Yes it's just across bayantel. It's only open on weekdays :)
have tried almost all restos along maginhawa but haven't been to henry's. this is just across bayantel, right? will visit one of these days=)
Sayang! :D kelan ka ulit free? gaaaame! tapos ako dalhin mo sa paranaque, clueless din ako :P
thank you so much Lottie! :) try Van Gogh is Bipolar, along Maginhawa rin. :) magandang date place kasi kakaibang dining experience
Nashy ako! 2x kaming tinanong kung gusto naming kumanta pero I was really shy at walang practice :P
thank you Rackell! :) kaya nga eh, hindi natuloy yung maginhawa food trip natin
kumanta ka rin ba?
happy monthsary!!! :) di na natuloy yung Maginhawa FT natin netong last week of March. [Sayang, I was free the whole week.] take me there. wala akong alam sa QC! LOL
Awesome blog, Smarla! :) Might have anniversary dinner with the boyfriend there or anywhere in Maginhawa! :)
wow! I really want to try restaurants along maginhawa.. let's schedule our next food trip!
btw, happy monthsary! ♥
I love Cocina Juan! :D marami pang sobrang sarap along maginhawa. gusto ko rin matry yung burger project :)
i really should try other restaurants along Maginhawa. i'm always at Cocina Juan!
boat ride through the sky
Post a Comment