Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Enderun's Restaurant 101: The 20 Euros Dessert

This signature dessert costs 20 Euros in France. If you convert it to pesos, this dessert is priced at Php1,267. 


Would you pay Php 1200-1600 for a small bar of chocolate? I know, I know, crazy! 


But even before the program began, all the organizers from Enderun kept saying that we HAVE to try their chocolate ganache dessert. They said it with much conviction that it felt like a crime to skip out on lunch. So though unplanned, my curiosity over this much talked about 200 Euros dessert escalated to a need requiring immediate fulfillment. 
Right after Chef Marc Chalopin's Bouillabaisse cooking demonstration and a quick Enderun school tour, we were led to their training restaurant, Restaurant 101The words "training restaurant" might threaten a few with thoughts of being guinea pigs to culinary students, but I truly don't mind. I find it rather charming to witness students grapple with their new role as waiters. 
Since it's a Restaurant 101 lunch prepared exclusively for bloggers, I expected nothing but the finest culinary creations. Indeed, only their best sellers graced our lunch table, starting with this minimalist plating of potato slices paired with a unusual looking block covered in caper-herb sauce. I was too shy to ask my tablemates, ChatNoemi and Lou, so I decided to let my fork unravel the green mystery before me.
Salmon Fillet, mi-cuit, caper herb dressing, warm potato salad (Php380)
As I slid my fork down, slowly breaking through the green liquid exterior, I felt my heart skip a beat as the blushing pink salmon revealed itself to me. OH MY GOD, IT'S SALMON! Oh Restaurant 101, you truly know how to shoot me straight to the heart - my salmon loving heart

The warm potatoes went perfectly with the coldness of partially cooked salmon, all effortlessly melting in my mouth with a final powerful herby tone from the caper dressing. It was my first time to have my salmon served this way and I was left wishing I had a much larger piece. *gluttony kicking in*
Chicken Basquiase, stewed sweet peppers, Bayonne ham (Php680)
My ever growing appetite, still begging and pleading for more salmon, was slowly tamed by their Chicken Basquiase. This dish involves cooking the peppers, onions and carrots until melting, then topping off with chicken, thus resulting to a moist and juicy meat, boasting of rich flavors. The vegetables were too soggy for my liking but I loved how this dish finishes off with the delicate saltiness of Bayonne ham. 
Louis XV (Php200)
But of course, this lunch was all about the much talked about 20 Euro Dessert, their Louis XV. You can only avail of this exclusive dessert in two restaurants, in Le Louis XV in Monaco, France and in Enderun's Restaurant 101. And the best part is, you can have the same dessert at Php200 in the Philippines. Now that's a steal! 

It's a chocolate crisp with praline, chocolate mouse, white meringue and hazelnut, all lusciously covered in the most indulgent, smooth, velvety chocolate ganache that flows in my mouth like a rich, everlasting fountain of chocolate goodness. They say it tastes just as exceptional as the one served in Alain Ducasse's 3 star Michelin restaurant. 
Of course, it's a decadent dessert beseeching for a warm cup of coffee to go along with. Might I suggest, eat Louis XV very slowly, in between sips of coffee, with your eyes closed.  After all, it's the same expensive dessert in Monaco. 

*updated the entry with the correct European price. So sorry for the misinformation. According to one source, this dessert costs 15 Euros, while another says its 26 Euros.*


More Info on Enderun's Restaurant 101:
Address: 1100 Campus Ave., McKinley Hill, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
Menu: Click Here
Contact Number: (02) 856-5000 loc 101
Operating Hours: Mon-Sat 11:00 am - 2:00 pm; 6:00-10:00 pm
Budget: Php500-800/head
Payment Methods: Cash, Visa, Mastercard
Outfit: Smart casual (for fine dining)
Parking: Plenty of parking space inside Enderun 


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

19 comments:

feedthebf said...

This sounds like such a lovely school to visit!  And that Louis XV sounds well worth the price tag =)

Smar said...

gaaaame! weekday or weekend?

Maierz said...

Smarsmar!! Kelan na FT natin ni David? Hahaha let's raid Maginhawa!! :))

Smar said...

Eh yun naman eh, 200 K lang! :)) hahahaha. parang barya lang ba yun ngayon? :)) 

Smar said...

Yes, I'm hoping to visit the restaurant one time without being identified as a blogger :)

Robx Bautista said...

12,000 NO. If I pay 12k for food I should literally have the best orgasm in my life! Kaloka. 200 K lang. Hahahaha. Grabe buti na lang mayaman ako. CHAR! Hahahaha pag-iipunan na naman ito.

The Manila Girl said...

Louis XV!! It's decadent, right?! I loved it so much. Restaurant 101 was a big success for me and The BF, as well. :-)

A Class Of Its Own: Restaurant 101

Smar said...

yup 200 euros, at least that's what they told us during lunch. :) (I hope I heard right)

And yes, I want to go back for the dessert!!

Smar said...

Yes, edible gold leaf thingies! :D 

Smar said...

Yes, the school's facilities are really great for culinary students. I wouldn't mind taking a short course there. :) 

Smar said...

Yes if you're a chocolate lover, you'll definitely love Louis XV! It's really creamy and rich :)

Santelmo of PinoyMuffinTop said...

what?! 200 euros?!!! I was not aware that what we ate cost that much in France, or maybe I was not listening closely ^_^ lolz

I love The "Louis the 15th"!!! it was sooooooo goooooood! i miss it already...im craving for it as i type...lolz ^_^

Paolo said...

Are those gold leaf thingies I see on top? So lush!

Writeonjo said...

Would try that when I get back :D sound decadent!

Ela said...

*The Louis XV looks and sounds heavenly
Lol sorry

Ela said...

The looks and sounds Louis XV heavenly, especially for someone who loves chocolates as much as I do. I was looking for a great resto in Taguig and I think I'll try Restaurant 101 :)

feedthebf said...

This sounds like such a lovely school to visit!  And that Louis XV sounds well worth the price tag =)

Smar said...

Yes, I'm hoping to visit the restaurant one time without being identified as a blogger :)

p.cook said...

Aw hell, that is one expensive bar of chocolate... That'll probably buy me a month's supply of Snickers :D