Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Bonding Food Magic of Steamed Crabs!

Just got back from a six day trip in Aklan! Six days in Aklan = six days of crabs in every meal! YUUUUM!

Before going to the airport for our flight back to Manila, we had hearty lunch at my Tito's place - crabs, panga ng tuna, grilled chicken, ginataang manok (chicken) and my cousin's chopsuey! I had such a great lunch that I was the last one to finish eating. I only had to stop eating because we already had to go to the airport. Haha! I eat too much :P

Before heading to the airport, my Tita urged me to bring home the remaining crabs on the table so that I could share a piece of my Aklan trip with RJ. Awwww.. my Tita's so sweet :) 



Plus, she really enjoyed watching me eat crabs because she saw how I got better at eating them during the whole trip! On day 1, my tito was helping me open the crabs. By day 6, I was already biting into the crab's legs. 

Good thing my Tita gave me these crabs to bring home because they came in handy when I needed to say sorry to RJ the day after I got back in Manila. (long story! not really a big thing but entirely my fault) Food really comes in handy during these situations! As they say, the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach.  

When I met up with RJ, I made sure I was prepared. I had with me 2 containers full of rice, utensils, toyo + suka (sauces), container for the sauce, a bunch of tissue and of course 3 cracked crabs. 
We shared these crabs for lunch and I realized that these crabs are really great "im-sorry-food" since it forces you to spend time with each other. It took us an hour to finish these crabs! Yaaay more time :)

Plus getting the meat out of the crabs forces you to interact with each other. We had fun with "paghihimay" (removing) the crab meat. It was a messy but that's exactly what makes the whole eating experience fun! Crab is really a food for sharing. In order to eat it, you have to crack it into two like this:
So whenever we would crack open a crab, we would instantly share it. It was perfect for the occasion! Thank you Tita for the crabs! 

After sharing those crabs, sharing stories and having messy hands for an hour, I knew that we were already okay. :) Boo-boos will happen in all relationships but sharing moments together over good food help us grow and learn from our mistakes. Just give each other time to grow and communicate. :) Better if you have food meant for sharing while you're talking with each other! The bonding magic of steamed crabs!

Just in case you want a step-by-step on how to eat steamed crabs, check out this site: ravenouscouple.blogspot.com

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~


Thank you to the following for the pictures:
ravenouscouple.blogspot.com
salbehe.com

No comments: