However, after a while, it gets boring to watch movies in the mall. (I'm seriously not a big fan of malls - there's just no heart there.) What's a great alternative? Mogwai Cinematheque in Cubao Expo.
Mogwai Cinematheque an indie, laidback haven for those who love to feast on home-style cooking and great films. The place was named after the furry creature in Steven Spielberg's movie, the Gremlins. The movie is about mogwais who eat past midnight and transform into gremlins. The gremlins are dreaded creatures who create chaos every night. Mogwai Cinematheque then caters to late night owls since the place comes alive only at night until 2 AM.
What I love about Mogwai is its artsy, nostalgic and eclectic feel with its mismatched tables and chairs, Moroccan lamps and interesting wall decor.
You can feel that the place was born out of great minds and inspiration. The mini-cinema cafe is owned by two Filipino directors, Erik Matti and Lyle Sacris. They opened the place last November 17, 2007, pooling their financial resources and artistic ideas.
Mogwai is known for their cheap beer, delicious hearty meals and good selection of native coffees and drinks. They serve Coffee Alamid! I know right? :) They serve appetizers, desserts, burgers, sandwiches and rice meals.
I especially loved their Dynamite Sticks. I must say I enjoyed it more than its counterpart in Gerry's Grill. These are cheese sticks stuffed with ham and slices of green chili. It is served with great salsa on the side. Yum!
Another crowd favorite is their Swamp Burger (P180). Some have claimed that it's the best burger ever. It's a thick and juicy beef patty with sesame seeds, cheese and caramelized onions. I didn't get to try this but it sure sounds delicious.
Their best seller is their Sole Fillet Rice (P185). It is a fish fried in olive oil which combines the flavors of anchovies and capers. Other best sellers include: Bacolod's Alamang Rice and Bacon Shrimp Roll (P180). It's deep fried shrimp rolled into bacon with bamboo shoots and corn in creamy coconut cream sauce.
Their Dark Molten Lava (P90) is also to die for! It's a little chocolate-filled cake with whipped cream on top.
On the second floor, Mogwai has a cinema room that shows films ranging from Hollywood classics to underground cinema, art-ouse fare to Pinoy grindhouse flicks. Apart from UP Film Center and Cultural Center of the Philippines, it is the only other cinema that has no censorship restrictions in the Philippines. (Haha, this must have made some people smile)
It has great audio-visual facilities (of course, its owners are filmmakers) and a cozy, fully carpeted with big fluffy pillows cinema. Quality movie time! :D Yaaaaay!
Expect to see powerful reels since they have film scholars as consultants as well. An example of which is the indie film, Wong Kar-Wai's "In the Mood for Love". This is definitely the place for rich and brilliant conversations over great food and drinks.
I can't wait to go back again! Next time, I'm definitely watching their films. Btw, showing starts at 9PM. This week they are featuring an uncomfortable great film, Nash Edgerton's "The Square." For more details about the film, click here.
More Info on Mogwai Cinematheque:
Address: Unit 62 & 63 Cubao Expo, Gen. Romulo Ave., Cubao
Address: Unit 62 & 63 Cubao Expo, Gen. Romulo Ave., Cubao
Phone Number: (63 2) 913-1060
Email: mogwaifilmclub@gmail.com
For Movie Schedules: http://mogwaifilm.multiply.com/journal
Open from 6pm-2am
Thank you to the following for their pictures. I don't own any of them:
www.clickthecity.com
www.foodtrippings.com
www.projectmanila.com
www.pinoycravings.com
www.christinewongyap.com
www.cubao-x.com
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~














No comments:
Post a Comment