Whenever I get so stressed out, I think of food. Or more correctly, I dream about food. I dream about food for days until I finally get to eat it. Last week, I was badly craving for avocados.
This craving started when we arrived from Aklan. Before leaving the airport, my dad decided to get a shake from the Fruit Magic stall. Immediately I thought of having an avocado shake since we usually have avocados from our tree around this time of the year. Too bad the winds were too strong and we didn't even have a single avocado fruit. :(
But no, they don't have avocado shakes. :( I went home with a shake in my hand but I still wanted that avocado shake. Thankfully, RJ decided to bring me to UP last Sunday to finally get that much awaited shake!
![]() |
| Hooray for Avocado Shakes! Only P30 |
Finally, I waited for 3 days for this shake! Good things always happen on the third day. Haha. It only costs Php30 (Fruit Magic costs P100+ per cup) and it was really good. It was sweet but not too sweet.
![]() |
| Lutong Bahay at UP |
Plus, it was made from a healthy serving of real avocados! See the photo above? Each plastic bag of avocados = 1 cup of avocado shake. Really generous servings! Yuuuum! It was really filling - it made me feel happily bloated. Thanks RJ for showing me this place.
The best ever fruit & powder shake stand is University of the Philippines' own Lutong Bahay in JP Laurel street. They have been in existence since 1977. Wow! They sell shakes for Php25-Php35 a cup! There's a wide variety of flavors to choose from: fruits, mixed fruits, powder, powder mix with fruits.
![]() |
| Whoops! I didn't notice that she was looking at me when I was taking this photo. She's the one who made my yummy avocado shake |
They also serve Mais Con Yelo, Saba Con Yelo, Buko Pandan Con Yelo for Php15 each for small cups and Php25 each for big cups. They also have Halo-Halo with special Ube (Php35) and Fresh Fruit Salads (Php45 dine in, Php50 take out).
I haven't tried their other products aside from their shakes but I'm pretty sure they're also great! I also read that their restaurant also serve really cheap food. For more details on their carinderia, check out this blog: link!
If you're wondering where JP Laurel street is, it is near UP shopping center and UP Post Office. It's the street on the right of UP Post Office (if you're facing the post office) .
See the picture above? The white building on the right is UP Post Office. Just walk along JP Laurel street for a few seconds and you'll be in Lutong Bahay in no time with the best fruit smoothie in hand!
I love UP! It's still the best place for a nice food trip. By the way, I ate some more in the shopping center. Too bad I never got to try UP's Chateau Verde since it has closed down already.
I love UP! It's still the best place for a nice food trip. By the way, I ate some more in the shopping center. Too bad I never got to try UP's Chateau Verde since it has closed down already.
Thank you RJ for helping fulfill this food craving! :) Another great food trip in UP!
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~
Thank you to the following for the avocado fruit and Fruit Magic pic:
rawfoodnation.org
magnegosyo.com





6 comments:
Manila shakes are often terrible in quality and more expensive. These, on the other hand, look good and comparable to the better shakes found in the provinces and with a cheaper price too. Too bad this place is extremely far away from where I'm located.
I agree, Manila shakes are usually way overpriced and the quality of their shakes suffers at times due to bad ingredients.
UP offers a great alternative :)
'Yung Lutong Bahay, merong ka-kompetensiya. Katapat n'ya. Ang name, 'Lutong Kapitbahay.' Ang witty! Ahaha...
- Leinard
Hahaha nakita ko yun! pinakita saken ni abbey yung 2 yun. so alin sa 2 yung mas masarap yung luto?
In Masangkay st downtown manila you can also find the freshest fruit shake for only 10 pesos pure mango, avocado, carrot with apple. it is beside chiknoy chicken La torre cor. masangkay
thanks for this tip! :D i'll definitely look for this when im in downtown manila :D wow Php10 lang, greaaaat! :D
Post a Comment