Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kopi Tiam's Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake: The Best Chocolate Cake for Emotional Eating Moments

I was reading through my usual blog list last Saturday night and I read about Ria's (Fat Girl No More) struggle to stop herself from emotional eating. Emotional eating is something I indulge in when I'm absolutely depressed and in need of a quick pick-me-upper. Suddenly, I thought of a great comfort food for those emotional eating moments - Kopi Tiam's Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake.



This Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake is the perfect buddy for those sad moments since it has all of the elements of a perfect comfort food - warm and comforting temperature, endorphin releasing and overflowing chocolate goodness and a rich nostalgic chocolate cake. Its mere name already gives a sense of comfort. Say the name slowly - warm chocolate tablea cake. Euphoric images and glimpses of my childhood flood my mind each time I slowly utter its name - warm Chocolate Tablea Cake. 
Green Valley Country Club, Valle Verde 1, Pasig City
I discovered this endorphins packed treat from my sister after she begged my parents to buy her one after their bowling tournament. She knew that there was a Kopi Tiam branch in Green Valley Country Club, Pasig. Every time my parents bring home one of these, we all run for forks and indulge in this mouthwatering dessert. If I remember correctly, I closed my eyes after my very first bite of this cake. Ever since then, I make it a point to savor it until the last crumb.
Last Saturday, we picked up my brother from Green Valley on the way home. It's my first time to actually set foot in this place. Since he wasn't done yet, I decided to explore this bowling alley. All of a sudden, I saw the huge signage, "Kopi Tiam", and I felt the inner child in me shriek for joy. Kopi Tiam = Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake! I felt my smile stretch from ear to ear as we rushed inside. Finally, I get to see the actual habitat of my dear chocolatey friend. 
This quant little store is a hidden sanctuary behind the noisy bowling lanes. It's the perfect hideout since people won't suspect this quiet little cafe in a place like this. 
The interior looks like a cozy lounge with its soft and relaxing rotating chairs and easy couches. 
The couches are also beautifully covered with such vibrant and retro fabric to balance off the subtlety of the overhead yellow lights. 
I can definitely see myself enjoying a romantic dinner here with such an enchanting ambiance. With a few diners inside (at least when we were there), it's a great place to share a quiet evening to catch up with old friends. 


Kopi Tiam's site describes itself as "a uniquely Asian twist on cafe culture. Cozy, quiet nooks for intimate conversations. A new place for you and your date to explore and  taste." This cafe definitely fits the bill. 
When the waiter came over, I instantly knew what I wanted, "Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake!" Good thing they still had stocks on hand even though it was already late in the afternoon. They easily run out of these cakes so my parents always need to reserve a piece the moment they arrive in Green Valley.


Surprisingly enough, the waiter had a hard time looking for the price of this Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake. It wasn't on the menu, on any other flyers and on any table standees. Is this some top secret dessert? Finally, after running through their POS system, he told me to wait for the cake for 5 minutes.


In less then 5 minutes, he came back with a beaming yellow North Park plastic bag. 
I felt the soothing warmth of the cake through the plastic as I cupped my hands around it. The inner child in me was smiling. I pulled out the container from the bag, opened it and just marveled at its beauty.
Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake (Php95)
It's like black beauty staring up at me with its big, round, sparkling eyes as the chocolate glistened under the soft lights. The chocolate was was warm and overflowing, as if begging me to eat it. 


The moment we arrived at home, my brother and I exchanged "yuuums" and "ooohs" as we shared this Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake. The rich and warm chocolate was oozing out from each slice. As we ate through the sprinkled sheets of almonds and the sinfully delicious chocolate cake, we were able to indulge in its creamy white center. 
Overflowing Chocolate Goodness - Need I say more?
As promised, we felt a sense of comfort from eating this Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake from Kopi Tiam. We were smiling like little kids after savoring each bite. It never fails to bring us to a state of euphoria. Thank you Warm Chocolate Tablea Cake for being so sinfully good. 


Next time, I'd like to try the other rice meals and actually eat it in Kopi Tiam. They say their meals are just similar to North Park's. Since I love North Park food, I'm definitely looking forward to another satisfied food trip. :)


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

8 comments:

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

Hi
I didn't exactly like my Kopi Tiam experience in San Juan but the chocolate looks interesting for dessert.
xoxo
MrsM

Smarla said...

Really? What did you eat in Kopi Tiam so I know what to avoid. Hahaha :))

I haven't tried their other dishes, just this great dessert :D

noone said...

omg the melted chocolate looks delicious! I've never tried it but if I have the opportunity I would

Smarla said...

Hey Pop Champagne :) Yes it is delicious! I love how the chocolate overflows :) YUM

AVA TE-ZABAT♥ said...

wow that looks absolutely good. :) I must try that! And yes, I as well go for food when I'm depressed. Most girls I guess?:) hihi.

Smarla said...

Hi Ava! :) Hahaha yeah food cures (at least momentarily :P) depression. hahaha. my friend told me that the branch in horseshoe village, quezon city is a better branch than this one in green valley :D

i♥pinkc00kies said...

wow :D

Smarla said...

it's extremely delicious! :)