Artists and their masterpieces really draw me in and intrigue me so I wanted to personally see them while they're at work. We weren't really sure what to expect in our visit so my mom kept wishing that there would be a lot of artists that afternoon.
Little did we know that God actually filled the restaurant with artists! In fact, some of them had to sit outside already just to be able to paint.Now that's a lot of artists in one room! We were caught off guard that my mom actually clammed up and she became too shy to even bring out her camera. I insisted on staying and ordered some merienda for the two of us. We took one of the last remaining empty tables outside as I urged her to interact with the painters. We prayed for artists right, well here they are!
![]() |
| Bob Estolas |
I have to tell you, it wasn't easy to strike up a conversation at the start since we were so dumbfounded by the masterpieces that lay before our eyes. However, when our 1st painter friend, Bob Estolas, mentioned that he came from advertising I instantly lit up and told him that I'm in accounts. From that point on, he warmed up to me and started sharing to me his experiences as a full time painter outside the walls of an advertising agency.
Btw, I really love the mother and child painting of Bob and his use of colors. According to him, his fellow painters can already tell his paintings even without his signature since he has been using the same style for quite sometime now.
![]() |
| Joe Garcia |
I love his watercolor paintings! I love the splash of colors and the chaotic but orderly brush strokes. Ordered chaos - beautiful. :)
His horses painting isn't done yet but it already looks stunning. He jokingly exclaimed, "Ang hirap tapusin niyan eh, tumatakbo kasi." (Translation: It's hard to finish it because the horses are running) That remark made me laugh!
My mom was really the one he talked to since I was so engulfed in my conversation with Bob. I didn't even notice that Joe started sketching me as he sat across me.
He drew this on the spot in under 10 minutes. He simply took out his sketch pad and charcoal pencil and started sketching away. He didn't use an eraser at all! Here's a closer look at his sketch:
What do you think? :)
When he handed it over to me, I felt so honored that I kept asking, "Are you sure you're just giving it to me?" I didn't know whether I should offer to pay for it or not but he willingly gave it to me. I was so surprised and a bit starstruck that I asked for a photo with him.
![]() |
| Smarla and Joe Garcia |
For some reason, sketches of me tend to be prettier. Here's another sketch done back in 2003 during my cousin's birthday party:
No I didn't wear that short printed dress or those laced up high heels that day. I was in my usual shirt and jeans. I don't think I can ever wear a dress that short! But hey, it's a drawing so I can be fierce and foxy all I want! :P Note: The artist was the one who chose that outfit.
Going back, Joe also volunteered to draw my mom afterwards. He kept telling her to stay steady though but since she was aware of it, she got a little conscious. Anyway, here's his sketch of my mom:
![]() |
| My mom and Joe Garcia |
On the other side of the table, Bob gave me tips on how to get started in painting. He told me, "Didn't you want to draw? Here listen up." I think he heard me say I'm in arts instead of accounts but hey, I'm not closing my doors on the possibility. I pulled up a chair beside him and started asking questions. He even encouraged me to throw more questions.
![]() |
| Bob Estolas and Smarla (photo courtesy of my mom) |
Study paintings of artists from all over the world. Open books of Mexican/European/English, etc painters in bookstores and decide what you like.
Adapt a certain international artist's style but 'Filipinize' it. Adapt certain styles of international artists instead of local artists in order to differentiate and stand out in the local market. Afterwards, localize it to suit Filipino taste in art. Filipinos tend to love mother and child paintings, provincial scenes and bright colors.
Stick to one style religiously. Bob kept emphasizing this to me and he told me to make sure it's a style that I'm willing to stand by even when I'm way older. If it's a very difficult style, I might have a hard time maintaining it when I'm older but you have to stick to it otherwise you'll lose your following. If it's an easy style, it will take longer to become popular with it but at least it's easier for me when I'm older. Also, it's important to stick to one style otherwise your fellow painters will question if you're really the one who made it. They might even challenge you to repeat that painting on the spot so stick to one style. It's important to be known for that style in your circle of artists.
Be humble and don't show off right away. Even if you can draw faster and even better than anyone else, don't show off. Seniority is given much emphasis in this industry so allow the seniors to outshine you. Slowly show your skills but credit it to your seniors' guidance.
Create and maintain allies. There are cliques in all artist groups: the drinking group, the prayerful ones, etc. Choose your group and make sure to keep them as your allies. It's very much important to have fellow artists who will back you up just in case one person in the group tries to question you or knock you out of the group. Once in awhile, treat your allies out for dinner or for a round of drinks just to maintain closeness.
Find people's soft spots and ask them to teach you. You can't just rush in for a lesson with one of the great artists; you have to make them like you. Everyone has a soft spot. Once you have their trust, ask them to teach you and be humble.
Show up, join events, join artist circles and make your presence felt. Join exhibits, attend meetings and greet your friends even when you're there for just 5 seconds. You have to make your presence felt by the group, especially yours allies. "Tumakas ka if kailangan, basta magpakita ka."
Never pass mediocre or rushed work. It's important to maintain your good image among your peers and sponsors so never submit your work when you're not done, you're not satisfied with it or it's rushed. Finish it at home and bring it to the next meeting if needed. One bad artwork can bring much damage. Take care of your reputation.
Don't compete with artists who are obviously better than you. Practice first. Other artists might try to challenge you to an on the spot illustration/painting session. They might even pick watercolor painting if they see that it's your weak spot. Don't let your ego take over. Don't show up first and practice by yourself if you're not confident yet.
Find another group if you don't click with them. Just in case you can't stand the group's politics, find another group. Don't collect enemies.
Don't stop. Once you have started joining art circles and joining events, don't stop. Don't take a break otherwise you'd start at the very bottom again. People tend to forget your works easily.
Have a plan. Bob made a plan when he entered advertising. He promised himself that he'll retire by the age of 35 and return to his first love. He then made a plan in his mind by what year he'll take this step and that step. It's important to have a plan so that you won't easily get swayed, tempted or lose focus.
Slowly but surely. Painters get to dictate the price of their own paintings. Make sure to be sensitive to the prices of your fellow painters. If you mark your price higher than theirs, it's like saying that your painting is better than theirs. So increase your price slowly but surely. Your career in the arts after all is a marathon and not a sprint.
It's not true that painting is a poor man's job. Slowly but surely, painters can make a living out of their craft. You just have to make a name for yourself. Make sure that your artworks are identifiable even without your signature. There are some painters whose single painting is equivalent to a car. The president of the Tuesday group told me that in just 2 hours of work, you can have 4-7K. Plus, all of his children are painters and they are still able to maintain their lifestyle.
If you persevere, it will bear fruit. Just keep on practicing and believe that it will bear fruit. Don't get discouraged and just keep on building your name.
Long list huh? But I encourage you to really read them since these are really helpful tips coming from a wealth of experience. Anyway, here are other painters we also met that day:
My mom used to paint very well too. We discovered this when were able to take hold of her old sketchbook while we were cleaning the house after Ondoy. Even though she's into photography now, I think she should explore going back to her first love. I think after this session with the future National Artists (as one of them jokingly said) of Cubao Expo, she's more willing to give it another try. Why not? Bob offered to teach us. :) Plus, Bob offered to draw me as well! Yaaay! Hmm.. I can't draw yet so I'm also quite shy to go back. Actually, I haven't given it a serious try. I hope he's not expecting much from my illustrating skills yet! I'm very much willing to learn though. :)
PS 1. Mark T., TJ S., Lorra and Robbie, I think you'll love this group. :)
PS 2. There's also a Saturday Group that's very open to teaching the newbies. According to Bob, there are painting/sketching sessions every afternoon in Alan's Grill but the elite groups are the Tuesday Group and the Saturday group.
PS 3. Did you like my pacman earrings that day? Hahaha. :P
More info on Alan's Grill:
Address: Gen. Romulo Ave., Cubao, Quezon City, Metro Manila
Contact No: (02) 913-2231
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th: 11:00 am - 12:00 mn
F, Sa: 11:00 am - 2:00 am


















8 comments:
Haha, I'm loving those pacman earrings! And those sketches are beautiful, you're quite lucky! The first one reminds me of a native american girl.
--Alex
http://www.reluctantstylista.com
Haha! I was surprised that you even wrote a PS with my name in it. Thank you so much Smarla. I'll definitely check this out. :)
your site kills me...always asian food galore. i wish i could move to asian for that reasons alone. btw i love your romantic places tab. i am still going through your archives.
Hi Alex! :) hahaha thanks! wow, i never realized that until you mentioned it. yup i feel lucky to have met them :)
Hi lorra! yup i think you'll have a great time :D
Hi Artemis! I love your latest post about snuggling. I couldn't comment though. Anyway, I'm sure things will get better :D
Awww thank you so much! If ever you do go to the Philippines, let me know. I'll personally tour you around.
Thanks for this info Smarla! Hope I can attend one of these things pero I have work on Tuesdays eh. Grrr.
awwww! there's always the Saturday group :D
Post a Comment