Saturday, November 20, 2010

An Ateneo Student For A Day Under Professor Justin's Theology Class

A nerd is back in Ateneo and guess who's her teacher? 

That nerd is none other than me! I am a self confessed nerd since high school and I luckily got the chance to relive my college days when I sat in Professor Justin's Theology class. 


Professor Justin is a good friend of mine from Alay Ni Ignacio (ANI) and he's currently teaching Theology in Ateneo. I'm so proud of him. :) Go Justin!


It's his first class as an Ateneo professor so I made sure to sneak in at the back of his classroom to support him in his first week of teaching. I also got my friend Eum to tag along with me. Yaaaay! 


Little did we know that a surprise was waiting for us in Professor Justin's class
 A QUIZ! --> Uh oh! We weren't prepared for this!
While Professor Justin was writing the quiz questions on the board, we scrambled in tearing a whole sheet of intermediate pad paper into two for me and Eum. Feeling like college students, we started grumbling in our seats, "Who's Mendieta? Oh no, I wasn't able to read. I wasn't able to get a copy of our reading from Ate Alma! (our beloved photocopy lady)"


I know ang feeling college students namin. Hahaha! 


We obviously failed the quiz. :( So much for being a nerd. I guess next time we should come to class prepared. We ended up writing Justin crazy messages on our test papers. But we passed our papers like every other student in class. 
Eum and I underwent a brief moment of reflection from our self disappointment as a result of failing the quiz (I'm kidding!). We tried to comfort ourselves for a while by playing old classroom tricks on each other. Look, Eum's leaving pen marks on my arm. I left that classroom with around 10 pen marks on my left arm! Euuuuum! 
However, we soon learned to let go of our disappointment as we listened in on Professor Justin discussion on theses 1-3. I later really felt I was back in college as I instinctively began taking down notes. 
I took this class before when I was back in college but it felt refreshing to hear Theology from a young professor like Justin. :) I'm really excited for him. I'm sure he'll be an inspiring teacher to his Theology students. God bless Justin! 


Overall, Professor Justin gave a great lecture that afternoon. They're still discussing the basics so I hope I can sit in in more classes. I really want to hear his in depth discussion on Jesus' ministry and the Holy Spirit. I'll try to find time for another day as his student. 
Smarla Nerd with Professor Justin
Spending that afternoon in his class made me miss my Theology classes. Awww give me more Theology readings! More Prodigal Son and A-Long-Loving-Look-At-The-Real readings please?  


It also made me miss teaching especially when a former student of mine left this message on Facebook:


Awww. :) So here's a shout out to my former students. Hi guys, good luck in your 3rd year in Ateneo!
One of the classes I handled: Section N
I miss teaching but I'm not yet ready to go back to it just yet. Let's just see where the future will bring me. For now, I'm really happy that Justin is finally teaching Theology in Ateneo. Congrats!


PS. Professor Justin is super OC! He retyped all of his readings for class so that they will all look uniformed. Wow, now that's what you call passionate about teaching. So dare not challenge him in his familiarity with his Theology readings. He knows them all by heart! 
PS2. Professor Justin is blogging his adventures as a young Theology professor here
PS3. It feels weird that I'm calling him Professor Justin! Haha.


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

17 comments:

Andnowlights said...

LOVE THIS! Husband is getting a second masters in ethics and already had his M.Div. Always fun to see other theology classes :)

Justin said...

drop by again smarlee!

maybe in the future, ikaw na tatawagin kong professor smarlee! :D

Nadine Bayta said...

He looks like our ACET proctor. :))

Lora said...

He looks so young! And I never knew you taught before.

I'm still trying to decide whether to apply to teach in college for real or still pursue preschool. I feel like I want to try all levels except grade school.

Lorra said...

Woops. I clicked on enter prematurely. Misspelled my own name! Haha.

Smarla said...

Hi Andnowlights! :) Wow, congrats to your husband. I'm sure you're really proud. Yes I agree, each professor adds a different flavor to Theology

Smarla said...

Hi Justin!

Hahaha let's see :) yup i'll try to drop by again

Smarla said...

Hi Nadine,

He might actually be your proctor :) it's highly possible

Smarla said...

Hi Lorra!

Yes I taught for one summer in Ateneo and handled 2 classes of 35 students each. :)

Hmmm... I think maybe it's best to try out pre-school first since pre-school entails a lot of energy and stamina from the teacher. It's best to try it out when you're young. That's just what I think of course. :)

I'll be happy for you whichever path you choose.

cafémobility said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smarla said...

Wow are you still handling lectures in Manila Planetarium? :) I want to go there

cafémobility said...

rewritten for grammar slips(sorry smarla), grammar OC eh. :)

wish i can go back to class again, only not theology but physics(or astrophysics). yes the discrete particle physics and quantum science. or at my degree of commanding knowledge on the topic, i was hoping to teach. been handling lectures at Manila Planetarium but never had i taught. ;)

Smarla said...

hahaha it's okay :) i have friends na OC din with grammar.

Anonymous said...

О! Davvero, come la progettazione grafica e la navigazione del sito, piacevole alla vista e buoni contenuti. altri siti sono semplicemente troppo traboccante aggiunge

Smarla said...

Hi Anonymous, I had to use Google Translate to understand your comment but thank you so much :) I hope you enjoyed the blog's content as well :)

Anonymous said...

Suena bien, me gusta leer tu blog, acaba de agregar a mis favoritos;)

Smarla said...

Translation (via google translate): Sounds good, I enjoy reading your blog, just added to my favorites;)


Thank you so much! That really means a lot to me :)