Thursday, November 4, 2010

Lusong Wreck, Coron, Palawan: Snorkeling and Feeling Like Little Mermaid

The best buys we ever made this year is buying my lovely Sony underwater camera! Why? Aside from it taking the AMAZING underwater photos, it gives me the reason to go on beach trips all yearlong! Snorkeling, snorkeling, snorkeling! Yaaaay!


Last October 29-31, my friends and I went to Coron and Culion, Palawan. Since we booked the tickets so early (start of May or end of April) and we were a group of 9, we spent Php5000 per person. This already includes everything: extra pocket money, airfare, food, boat for three days, a place to stay in and entrance to tourist attractions. 


On our 2nd day, we snorkeled in one of the several shipwreck (old Japanese ships) sites in Coron. Since it's been so long since the ship landed there, corals have already grown all over it. This made me smile since I knew it meant getting closer shots of the corals :)



Little did I know that the corals would be so close to us. We could actually touch the ship despite having life vests on! 


Have you watched those National Geographic under the water shows? Well the underwater life is even more stunning when you see it with you own eyes! 
I wanted to go inside the ship since I could see that the marine life inside is even more mind blowing! However, our guide advised us to stay within the outskirts. Awww. In fact we were told to stay along the rope that ran across the edge of the ship. 
I seriously felt like Little Mermaid as I was swimming along the edges of the ship. The waves were pretty strong that day so we were easily thrown back away from the ship. However, I kept swimming back because I couldn't get enough of the view. 


And since I was in Little Mermaid mode, I happily fed my dear fish friends. ;) Of course I wanted a closer shot of them so I held on to the bread until I felt their lips smacking my fingers. 
Look at the picture below, it looks like they want to attack me for holding on to the bread! 
Our guide also gave out pieces of bread so the fishes were having a frenzy over at his side. I swam over to him and kept clicking away! I couldn't really see my camera screen clearly underwater so I just took so many shots and wished I had at least one good underwater photo. 
Looking at the pictures, I once again felt so proud of my dear camera! Good job! :) 


We snorkeled in several other sites in Palawan on our 1st and 2nd day. In fact, we were on the boat or on the water almost the entire time! Yes, we ate our breakfast and lunch on the boat too. We were either snorkeling or traveling to the next snorkeling site for two days! Aaaah this is the life! :D


Did you go on any beach trips this year? :) If you have underwater pics, please share them as well! 


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

12 comments:

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

I miss the beach. Haven't been to Coron but DH and I are planing to go. Where did you stay? Is it full board?

xoxo
Mrsm

Dea said...

The pictures are gorgeous! Would you be able to experience this if you can't swim? I can't kasi.

Coron is my top must-visit destination in the Philippines, I'm thinking of having our honeymoon next year here.

Jayvie said...

wow wow! ang tarush ng camera mo teh! ang taray ng shots! loveeeet!

buti di ka napakanta ng Part of that World. hihi :)

ang ganda ng mga tilapia. tilapia talaga. jologs ko haha.

chef_d said...

Wow, your post made me more eager to go to Coron! I've seen a lot of pictures but yours are the first underwater Coron shots. I'm wondering, did you book through an agency, or did you fix it yourselves?

Smarla said...

@Michelle, we stayed in Banana Island in Coron and Hotel Maya in Culion. :)

In Banana Island, it's as if you own the entire island! Clean water is scarce and there's not flush but they have a great marine life there. It's a great snorkeling site as well. Plus, it's so quiet there since there's only 1 family in that island. There are only 4 huts for lodging as well so expect a quiet evening. :)

For Coron, we booked via DIY Coron. They fixed our whole itinerary but we requested a day in Culion. :)

Smarla said...

@Dea, I can't swim too! We had our life vests on the whole time. But despite just floating around, you'll still see how beautiful the corals are. :D

Why not, this is really a great place! The best snorkeling site so far in my beach trips. :)

Smarla said...

@Jayvie, I know! I super love my camera :) As in, masasabi kong mahal ko talaga Sony!

Hahaha gusto ko na nga umupo sa isang bato at kumanta ng Part of that World. Sabay may splashing water sa background :))

Smarla said...

@Chef D, Coron's such a great place! I want to go back. There are other shipwreck sites there :)

We booked our trip via DIYcoron. :) They'll fix everything for you so that all you'll have to worry about is buying your airfare and enjoying Palawan :)

Robbie said...

COROOOOOON! <3

I wanna go here din. But I think I'll buy a decent camera first. :D

Smarla said...

Yes you should definitely visit Coron! Best snorkeling site so far :D i want to go snorkeling again!

Anonymous said...

stay in Culion. snorkeling spots are better there. and by the way, just to promote eco-tourism, feeding of fish is highly discouraged since it will make the fishes dependent on people feeding them, this making them dependent on people and making them lose their natural instincts to protect themselves from predators. :(

Smarla said...

Ah really, we didn't know that. We were given pieces of bread by our guides so we fed the fish. But thanks for telling me, at least I know not to do that again on our next snorkeling trip.

Yes I have to go back to Culion to snorkel :)