Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Mystery Coffee Shop: Cup in the Name of Love

Can you name and locate this coffee shop? :)


Clue: They display paper cups designed by their very customers!


Yesterday, my friend Kiwee and I went all the way to Manila to visit this Korean Coffee Shop that she recently discovered. 


In fact, I had to use all three trains and jeeps in order to reach this place and then go home. Yes, we traveled all the way for this lone coffee shop. Food is a great motivator! I have to say its homey ambiance made it all worth the "hassle."
The shop owner is indeed very hands on with the coffee shop's decors. We saw her adding new Christmas decors while we were at the store. All their walls have paper artwork, their tables have photographs and even their curtains have adorable line drawings! But the design element that really struck me those simple paper cups that add a personalized touch to the coffee shop. 
This coffee shop encourages customers to design their own paper cups and add to the store's paper cup display. Here are some of the paper cup designs that stood out for me:
Don't you think these designs are amazing? According to the paper cup, that's Carl Graham on the right. Probably he's referring to the American entrepreneur, Carl Graham Fisher? I'm not quite sure.
There are also cheesy paper cups with personal "I love you" messages and scary paper cups! That's one great Nightmare Before Christmas drawing. 
There are also paper cups that try to be "philosophical" or bordering corny :P Weeeeeeh. 
And of course there are inspirational paper cups as well. I really love this message :) Hmm.. this reminds me a lot of the site Things We Forget. That post-it campaign is based in Singapore and I think we could replicate that here using a different medium, paper cups. Sounds like a great idea? :)
These paper cups are then displayed all over the coffee shop. These cups are placed on shelves, hanging from shelves and some are stacked on top of one another. Some paper cups are even located on top of the store's entrance. That's how prevalent these personalized paper cups are in this Korean coffee shop.

These are just simple paper cups but they surprisingly add such a comforting feel to the place. I don't know if it's just me, but designing a cup for the coffee shop made me feel like I am part of the store as well. It made me feel at home since I left my mark there. 
Of course we couldn't pass up the opportunity of adding design elements to the coffee shop so Kiwee and I designed our own paper cups as well. 


For lovers out there, I think designing paper cups together can be romantic. Well I think doing arts together can be so romantic, don't you agree? :)


Anyway, here are the designs that Kiwee and I came up with: 
Kiwee and Smarla's Paper Cup Design: The Couple Paper Cups 
Couple Paper Cups! 

We wanted our designs to stand out despite our apparent lack of hand drawing skills so we made a Couple Paper Cup Design. It's inspired by those cheesy couple shirts that we sometimes see couples wearing in malls. :P 
Cup Telephone (photo courtesy of imagemarkonline.com)


To make the design witty, we connected the two paper cups with the string from those childhood Cup Telephones. Get it, two paper cups connected by a cup telephone?


I know ours isn't as a great as the others but we just made the concept cute so that the store owners will keep these two paper cups in display. I hope they do!


Sorry for the shameless blog plugging in the paper cups. For the record, it was Kiwee's idea. Hahaha. :) 


So what do you think of our designs? 
Have you guessed the name and the location of this coffee shop? :) Leave your guess in the comments section. 


I'll reveal the name of this shop tomorrow. :)


PS. In case you didn't get the title, it's The Supremes' song, "Stop In The Name of Love." I know the blog entry title is corny! I actually came up with cornier "cup" titles :P
  • Why do you build me up butterCUP? (The Foundations Song - I know, not creative at all!)
  • You cupped me at hello (You had me at hello - weeeeh corny)
  • Cup a little bit closer baby (A line from 2 Become 1)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

31 comments:

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

I am actually excited to find out where this shop is located lol
xoxo
MrsM

Gela said...

oooooooooh, i want to go! can't wait for the big reveal! haha


boat ride through the sky

Anonymous said...

clue: the name of this café means "playground" in Korean. hehe!

additional clue: it's located on top of a fastfood chain right across a university. :)

[sorry to make papel.]

glad to know you've discovered this one, too, Smarla! i personally like their mud pie. what did you have?

Gourdo's Stores said...

the designs are simple but cute. i want to visit here. please tell your readers the secret location. =)

cafémobility said...

Cafe Noriter?

cafémobility said...

malapit sa la salle ba to? hehehe. Noriter?

Smarla said...

Hi Michelle,

Yup I'll post more about the store tomorrow :) I have so many pics of the store, I'm having a hard time picking what I want to use for tomorrow's blog entry

Smarla said...

Hi Gela,

I'm sure you'll love this place. It's a nice hang out place :) Plus it's commuter friendly too! It's near an LRT 1 train station

Smarla said...

Hi Dash!

You're always welcome here, you're not "pumapapel"

But yup the clues are correct! I'll post about what I ordered tomorrow :D

Smarla said...

Hi Gourdo's Stores,

I know, the designs are really cute. It's amazing what people can do with simple paper cups! I will reveal the location tomorrow :)

Smarla said...

Hi John Ray,

All I can say is :D

Hahaha :)

Sharina said...

Pretty coffee shop!! Will we know where this is located? :)

Smarla said...

Hi Sharina!

Yes, I'll reveal where this coffee shop is tomorrow :)

Peggy said...

What a cute coffee shop! Definitely loved your cup design! And there's no shame in blog plugging!

noone said...

that's neat how the whole wall is filled with flavours!

thepinaysolobackpacker said...

asteeg! gusto ko xa puntahan! artsy!

Jenmarie said...

I have no idea what Coffee shop this is but I love the way all the mugs are displayed!

♥peachkins♥ said...

No idea at all...Will wait until you announce it!

Smarla said...

Hi Peggy! :) Thank you so much! That means a lot especially since we can't really draw.

Smarla said...

Hi Pop Champagne,

Yes the store's designs are really pretty! :)

Smarla said...

Hi Gael,

I really recommend going to this place. It's really artsy and fun :D

Smarla said...

Hi Jen,

Me too, I really love the store and all of its designs :)

Smarla said...

Hi Peachkins, will announce it in awhile :D

The Paper Cup Company said...

I think the designs are fantastic and a great idea, for the professional wanting to design a paper cup, there is free software available at www.designacup.com, but i doubt they could match the designs in your shop.

Smarla said...

Hi The Paper Cup Company, thanks for sharing this link :)

Anonymous said...

What's cup?
I wonder though if they throw away any cups after it's been there for a long time.

Smarla said...

I'm not quite sure actually. It seems like they maintain the really well designed cups. :) Other cups are just stacked on one corner of the shop

Robbie said...

I know this place! Wahaha it's the one near DLSU right? I've been wanting to visit this palce kaso wala akong mahanap na time.

First clue I got is you mentioned it had a lot of paper designs and I remembered my friend posted about this shop a year ago and posted some photos.

Second clue I got is.... I know Carl Graham! He's sort of a friend of mine from CSB. Wahaha!

Smarla said...

Carl Graham a friends of yours from CSB? Hahaha!

Akala ko napuntahan mo na ito since near La Salle and CSB lang. :) Pero yeah, super nice place. Masarap tumambay dito buong araw at magleech ng internet. Hahaha.

Smar said...

hahaha, probably because of the shoes left before the stairs. :))

Mox said...

Noriter! :) This is a nice place to stay. But most of the time, the place smells like feet. >:)