Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Tomas Morato Food Trip Ends in My Ultimate Comfort Food Place



3 ladies, 1 night, 4 restaurants. No article will ever be good enough to describe how amazing this restaurant is. This is my Ultimate Comfort Food Place and The Tomas Morato Food Trip Ends here. 
Just thinking about this restaurant makes me smile. In the case of my other friends, this restaurant makes their nostrils smile. How does that look like? I have no idea too! My friends can be hilarious when it comes to food.

Similar to Cello's Doughnuts and Dips, we also saw this restaurant grow from a lone tiny shop to everyone's favorite comfort place all over the metro. In fact, it's the restaurant that's causing so much traffic along Katipunan Avenue extension. 

What restaurant is this? It's none other than my favorite, Banapple Pies & Cheesecakes
This is my ultimate comfort food place so much so that a friend of mine calls me, Ms. Banapple. 


When Chel, Kiwee and I went to their Tomas Morato branch, the entire restaurant was filled so we were forced to take a table outside. This is a common sight in Banapple branches and the surprising thing is, people actually wait to be seated! That's how much people love this place. 


Our stomachs were already filled to the brim and our pockets were dwindling from eating in Celsius Cuisine, Ariake and Fleur de Lys. However, at the mere mention of Banapple, all of us lit up and rushed to find their nearest branch. 


We all shared a plate of Chicken Breast Parmigiano and we were all just emotively eating our food with so much joy! You should have seen us - I swear you would have thought we were in a commercial! With the lingering delicious aftertaste of Banapple in our palates, we all went home happy that evening. :) 
Yesterday, when my good friend Migs invited me out for dinner, I told him we had to eat in Banapple since I was craving for some good old comfort food! We then visited to the 1st branch of Banapple along Katipunan extension, surprised to have been blessed with easy parking that evening. 


To my surprise, Migs has never eaten in Banapple! I know, how crazy it that? I can hear all the Banapple advocates saying, "WHAAAT?" 
Chicken Breast Parmigiano (Php175)
Heeding my recommendation, Migs ordered a plate of Chicken Breast Parmigiano. The menu describes it as tender fillets of chicken breast encrusted a parmesan crumb mixture topped with a rich stewed tomato sauce and mozzarella cubes; served with buttered carrots.


With one bite, Migs lit up and said, "Wow masarap ah!" (Translation: It's delicious!) "And the serving's really generous." I just looked up and flashed a satisfied smile, "I know." 
Grandma's Corn Chowder (Php75)
Along with his order, Migs also had a warm bowl of Grandma's Corn Chowder. It is a chowder of potatoes, corn and crumbled bacon. 


I haven't tried this one yet but it looks so delicious with its sunshine yellow color and thick, creamy consistency. Plus, Migs told me that he really liked his soup. 
Hungarian Chorizo Al Ajillo (Php170)
I usually order Chicken Breast Parmigiano or their Baby Back Ribs but I wanted to try something new so I ordered their Hungarian Chorizo Al Ajillo. The menu describes it precisely as a power pairing of hungarian sausage and chorizo slices, sauteed in lots of garlic and a hint of herbs. Served with creamy eggs and garlic fried rice. 


Once again, this dish didn't fail to satisfy my deep Banapple craving. Very true to its description, the chorizo and hungarian sausages were so garlicky that it made me quiet down and reflect in happy solitude. For a moment I felt I was happily alone in the world with this dish. :) Migs' healthy laughter snapped me back to reality as we reminisced about "the good old days" of mIRC, M2M, Snake cellphone game and friendster. Hahaha. 


I also have to add that their rice was fluffy, buttery and garlicky - just the way I like it! I could eat a whole bowl of this rice even without any meat with it. It's that good! It could be a stand alone dish but at the same time, a good complement to the sausages and chorizo.
Creamy Chicken Pie (Php120)
I thought I could gun another dish after a healthy serving of their Hungarian Chorizo Al Ajilo. However, with one bite from this Creamy Chicken Pie, I knew I wouldn't be able to finish this that night so I took it home with me. Each bite was so heavy that I think it's equivalent to two meals.


 This pie contais moist chicken flakes blended in our creamy white sauce, wrapped in flavorful buttery crust. See, I told you it could be equivalent to two meals! 
Gobblin's Goblin Pie (Php100 slice, Php770 whole cake)
To end the night, Migs and I shared their Gobblin's Goblin Pie. We wanted a crazy cake so we picked their Halloween dessert since it had a funny monster face on top of it. Plus, it has a gooey filling of cream cheese! Who can resist cream cheese?


It also contained teeth sticking chunks of Snickers and Maltesers topped with a mushy surface of cream and chocolate! My favorite part was their chocolatey crumbly crust at the bottom bathed in chocolate syrup. 
The New Banapple Convert
After eating in Banapple, Migs kept saying, "Panalo sa Banapple" (translation: Banapple is a winner) When he said those words, I knew I had created another Banapple convert! Yaaaay! Now he'll forever have Banapple cravings just like me. :)


Have you been converted to a Banapple advocate yet? 

More Info on Banapple:
Address: 2nd Level, Il Terrazo, Sct. Madrinan cor. Tomas Morato, Quezon City
Driving Directions: From Roces side, cross over to the Boy Scouts Rotonda and go along Tomas Morato. You'll pass by Scout Madrinan and in that corner, stop at the mall looking establishment with Rustan's. Banapple is at the 2nd floor. 
Budget: Php200/head
Contact Number: 413-2675
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 10:30 am - 12:00 mn
Other Branches: Katipunan Extension, Ayala Triangle

Did you miss our other Tomas Morato Food Trip Picks? Click here:

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post as always, Smarla. Nagutom tuloy ako bigla.

Can I just share that my long-time wish has been granted by the Ayalas last week? Finally, there's a Banapple branch in Makati [Ayala Triangle Gardens] na so I don't have to travel all the way to QC. Woot! *victory dance*

Justin said...

i'm super a banapple fan. me and my ANI friends usually go there for a quick satiation of our sweet tooth cravings (pag nagkita kayo ni eum, tanungin mo siya kung masarap yung Jeepers Creepers cake ng banapple! mag-eemo yun bigla :D)

I haven't tried their rice meals yet. Nung nakita ko yung hungarian sausage meal, bigla akong nagutom! I want! :D

WANDER SHUGAH said...

hello smarla! thanks for the comment. oh hey! you're such a foodtripper. we could be like partners if im in mla! haha im starting out my food blog pretty soon too! <3 and heeeey very delish fooods :( and mura lng sya! kainggit/. i wanna be bannapple convert@! haha



Taradiddles of Style on a Budget

Smarla said...

Yaaaaaay!

I have yet to go to Ayala Triangle Gardens. :D wee nam kee and bon chon!

And I think I'll still have a banapple pie in ayala triangle gardens to end the night. hahaha. addict!

Smarla said...

Talaga?? Eum with emotions sa jeepers creepers? :)) I haven't tried that cake, mas rice meals nattry ko.

Smarla said...

Hi Missy, sure just let me know when you're in Manila :) yuuum another food blog!

Justin said...

oo kasi, may attached na malandi factor plus emo factor dun, bilang may memories si eum sa jeepers creepers. ask mo na lang siya about it. basta sabihin mo banapple and jeepers creepers, magugulat yun. tatanungin niya kung saan mo narinig! :))

Smarla said...

ooooooh! :) sige sige, i will! i love it, emo eum in banapple :)

i remember my friends and I were saying, dapat sabihan namin boyfriends namin na bawal kami mag away sa banapple. they cant destroy banapple!

cafémobility said...

looks delectable, and they've got a unique table design. do they serve burgers and pasta too?

Smarla said...

Yes they do serve pasta and sandwiches :)

here's their menu: http://www.banapplekitchen.com/Banapple_files/banapple_cafe_web.pdf

Dea said...

I have never eaten at Banapple... *sheepish grin*

But to my defense, their branches are too far for a Southerner (Las Pinas) like me. But with the new Makati brach, I'll be able to go sample their famous banofee pie soon!

♥peachkins♥ said...

ang sarap sa banapple!!!

PauL said...

I'm addicted sa mga post mo..:) im a fan of your everyday sweet notes ..=D

Peggy said...

Great post! I wish we had Banapples here! Everything looks absolutely delicious!

Smarla said...

Hi Dea,

Do try their Makati branch. I swear, once you try their food you would regret not eating there sooner. :)

Smarla said...

Hi Peachkins!

Yes super sarap sa banapple :)

Smarla said...

Awwww thank you so much Paul. That's really so sweet :)

Smarla said...

Hi Peggy,

If ever you would happen to find yourself in the Philippines, don't forget to try Banapple :)

noone said...

all that food is making me hungry. it's lunch time here too. mm maybe I will just go have an early lunch now...

Smarla said...

Hi Pop champagne,

I could totally relate. In fact, just thinking about food makes me hungry! :)

PauL said...

I'm almost done reading all of your posts(2009-2010).haha hope to see more..=)

Smarla said...

Wow thank you so much Paul :) awww!

Jayvie said...

hello Ms. Banapple! hehe

Gobblin's Goblin Pie!!! waaaaah! never tried that, pero bilang mahilig ako sa Snickers, i'd definitely eye for that next time :D

geez, and you're that slim? haha :D

Smarla said...

Hi Jayvie :)

If you love snickers, super lasang snickers yung cake :) you'll love it!

haha good genes :P

cafémobility said...

@Jayvie: kainggit nga eh. i turned green with envy. she is a foodie but she never gained weight, unlike me, everytime i lift a spoon signals my weight increment.

Smarla said...

Hahaha my stomach bloats when I eat a lot! :D

Lady said...

How do you maintain your extremely slim figure with all those food trips that you have? People are not created equal. No!

Smarla said...

Hi Lady! :)

Hahaha well probably it helps that I commute a lot in the city. Plus I eat my food slowly so I can control how much I eat too. :)

i♥pinkc00kies said...

i love banapple too.. my faves are the banoffee pie, honeylovin crunch cake and myster-reese's pie! the cheese & mushroom pie is yummy too, so hard to finish 1 whole piece coz it's so big!! so happy to see them in Makati already.

Smarla said...

Yes i agree, their pies are so big and so filling! it took me a whole day to finish the pie I ordered from them. :)

Anonymous said...

I have never eaten in Banapple. Kahit na I'm like only 5 minutes away from Morato. Haha. I wish I could visit soon tho, I have a lot of restos on lineup pa kasi.

But the Chicken Parmigiana and pie looks mmm. Omnom. Must go there soon! =)

Smarla said...

Hi Dani! :)

Swear, this is one of the best restos out there :) as in super sarap talaga :D

mahaba rin resto list ko but if im made to choose between a new resto and banapple, banapple talaga pinipili ko :P