Two weeks ago, my friend, Kiwee, shocked us when she shared a secret while we were eating in Ayala Triangle Garden's Wee Nam Kee.
After reading many raving blogs about the much famed original Singaporean franchise of Wee Nam Kee, my friends, Kiwee, Chel and I decided to finally eat here.
Since food blogs commented on the restaurant's not-so-stellar service due to its soft launch phase, we decided to let a few weeks pass before we visit. After all, I believe service is a huge factor in the overall restaurant satisfaction, especially for classy ones.
Unlike in its first few weeks, it's easier to snag a seat now in Wee Nam Kee although I would still advise eating between 3-5 PM to avoid the possible huge lunch and dinner crowd of Makati.
Unlike in its first few weeks, it's easier to snag a seat now in Wee Nam Kee although I would still advise eating between 3-5 PM to avoid the possible huge lunch and dinner crowd of Makati.
I haven't set foot on the original Wee Nam Kee in Singapore but from what I've read, the Makati Wee Nam Kee is a much classier version. The Filipino owners decided to utilize airconditioning and fancy lighting since they felt that Filipinos are more discerning when it comes to their restaurant choices.
Hmm.. when it comes to Asian restaurants, I actually prefer the no frills Binondo-type restaurants but maybe the Makati crowd prefer this setting.
Our Wee Nam Kee is supposed to convey a Chinese street alley-like ambiance where in the two ends of the restaurant represent by-the-street-houses while the center aisle is the road. Honestly, I would have never thought that that was the intent if I didn't research on it. :P
Hmm.. when it comes to Asian restaurants, I actually prefer the no frills Binondo-type restaurants but maybe the Makati crowd prefer this setting.
Our Wee Nam Kee is supposed to convey a Chinese street alley-like ambiance where in the two ends of the restaurant represent by-the-street-houses while the center aisle is the road. Honestly, I would have never thought that that was the intent if I didn't research on it. :P
Chel was running late so Kiwee and I decided to eat ahead. Kiwee was badly craving for dimsum so we were in distraught when the waiter said nonchalantly, "The dimsums and desserts are not available today." I felt Kiwee's pain across the table with the waiter's utterance.
We tried to move on and ordered the much talked about Hainanese Chicken Rice. We decided to indulge in their Roasted Style Chicken Rice, instead of the healthier steamed version in order to taper our food inflicted heartbreak.
The Hainanese Quarter Chicken Rice is good for 2 people, inclusive of a quarter roasted/steamed chicken and 2 bowls of chicken soup. We ordered two cups of Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice to go along with it. This meal is best enjoyed with ginger, chili and soy sauce. Good thing there's unlimited dips in every table!
Though the rice looks like an ordinary cup of rice, it is surprisingly packed with much flavor. The secret behind this fragrant rice is the use of rich stock made using traditional preparation methods - boiling the entire chicken in rich chicken bone broth mixed with spices. That must have been one really good stock boiled for long hours!
Their roasted chicken is very commendable with its white, succulent meat topped off with a glistening brown roasted skin. Yuuuum!
Right before Kiwee and I finished our meal, Chel finally arrived and finished the few remaining pieces of Hainanese Chicken.
We tried to move on and ordered the much talked about Hainanese Chicken Rice. We decided to indulge in their Roasted Style Chicken Rice, instead of the healthier steamed version in order to taper our food inflicted heartbreak.
![]() |
| Chicken Rice (Php40/cup) |
Though the rice looks like an ordinary cup of rice, it is surprisingly packed with much flavor. The secret behind this fragrant rice is the use of rich stock made using traditional preparation methods - boiling the entire chicken in rich chicken bone broth mixed with spices. That must have been one really good stock boiled for long hours!
![]() |
| Hainanese Quarter Chicken Rice Set (Quarter Chicken + Chicken Soup) - Php248 |
Right before Kiwee and I finished our meal, Chel finally arrived and finished the few remaining pieces of Hainanese Chicken.
Since the menus were just left on our table the entire time, Chel and Kiwee both reached out for the menus. While Chel was discerning what else to order, Kiwee suddenly pulled up the menu next to her face and exclaimed, "See the resemblance?" Chel and I blurted out in disbelief, "Di nga?! (rough translation: really?!)
Kiwee then went on to narrate a secret family history while my mind was racing through the possibility of my friend being related to the famous Mr. Wee Nam Kee. With mixed races, can one easily disprove a far family linkage claim? Hmm.. could it be?
![]() |
| Cereal Prawns (Php375 for 4 pieces) |
Though it has received a lot of raving reviews, we weren't fans of this dish. Chel commented that it tasted better in her earlier visits. Unlike other blogs I've read, ours were served with their tough exterior on. I wouldn't mind eating the skin if the prawns were crunchy enough but I felt they were cooked in such a way that required skinning.
In terms of flavor, it was topped with crunchy sweet cereal bits. Given the price and the classy ambiance, I thought it could use better plating.
Overall, I wouldn't mind coming back to Wee Nam Kee but I'd like to visit the original Singapore branch. I have yet to learn why people are so in love with this brand.
More Info on Wee Nam Kee:
Address: Ayala Triangle Gardens, Makati Ave. Bel-Air, Makati City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Me
Commuting Instructions: Take the MRT to Ayala Station then walk to Ayala Triangle Gardens
Contact Number: (02) 846-8924
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~







12 comments:
i've been always wanting to eat here, kaso palagi puno....
you always go to restaurants that look delicious, man I am soo jealous lol!
Hi John Ray,
Talaga? Nung pumunta kami nakakuha kami kaagad ng table :)
Baka maluwag na ngayon kasi busy yung mga tao sa last minute Christmas shopping.
Hahaha
Hi Pop Champagne,
I'm also so jealous at how easily you're able to pull of a great look :D i love your posts :)
I love Wee Nam Kee's steamed chicken. Yun lang medyo hassle para sa akin ang Makati. =)
after some clicks, blog mo pala to haha. nice. Personally, even without the bad reviews on service, I was not enticed to eat in WNK in the triangle. Having frequented the Novenaville branch, it doesn't feel right for me to each HCR in an airconditioned area with all the lavish fixtures and tableware. Parang mali lang talaga, wala yung 'hawker' feel and vibe eh. Food presentation, as seen in your blog, were not up to par with the main. Sana meron man lang al fresco dining area sila na set-up. oh well papel.
ayan ulit yung Cereal Prawn na nabasa ko kay Daniella! hihi.
dumaan po para bumati ng Merry Christmas!!!! :D
Hey Dani :D
Yeah ang layo rin ng makati for me, talagang dinayo namin ito.
Hi Pao,
I think a lot of foodies love Wee Nam Kee kasi it brings them back to the original Wee Nam Kee somehow although they always comment na iba yung feel.
I think I need to go to the main kasi hindi ko na-gets sa Makati Branch why people are raving about it so much. The food was good pero I wouldn't rave about it so much. There must be something sa main branch that's not in the Makati branch or something
Hey Jayvie!!!
Merry Christmas :D
Yung sa Singapore, parang Hap Chan lang. Hehehe.
hahaha i heard nga karinderia type talaga yung sa Singapore :)
Post a Comment