Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bon Chon Chicken: Voted Best Chicken in America

This fried twice chicken is voted the Best Chicken in America. 


Our verdict? Hmmm...


A month ago, a lot of foodies have been raving about the new destination, Ayala Triangle Gardens, especially since the famous Wee Nam Kee and Bon Chon Chicken franchises are part of its roster. 


To avoid the soft launch boo-boos, we decided to eat a few weeks after this new foodie hub opened. So right after an early dinner in Wee Nam Kee, Chel, Kiwee and I decided to try Bon Chon's Fried Chicken. It's voted Best Chicken in America so we were expecting only the best from Bon Chon that evening. 


It was already dinner time when we came to Bon Chon but we surprisingly got seats immediately. Yes, we didn't encounter the long lines I've read so much about. Yay!
Bon Chon is a classier fastfood restaurant with a no frills ambiance and a very brief menu. Ordering is done at the counter and each customer will be given a number while waiting. Food will then be served on the table. 


Since we were already full from Wee Nam Kee, we just ordered their Box of 3 Chicken Drumsticks. You can choose between Soy Garlic and Hot & Spicy flavors for the chicken; we picked the latter. 


This box costs Php185, so it's like paying Php62 per drumstick. Expensive right? Well we really just wanted to try it and find out for ourselves why it was voted the Best Chicken in America. So for one night, we decided to pay the premium for a taste of this famous Korean franchise fried chicken. 
Hot & Spicy (Php185/3 pieces)
The secret behind this fried chicken is that it's fried twice. According to the owners, frying the chicken twice makes it healthier since this method supposedly separates the fat from the skin. This makes the skin less greasy and more crunchy. Furthermore, they claim that their chicken has zero trans fat. 


True to its promise, the skin was absolutely crispy and flavorful. Although I felt the flavor was a bit flat - it was just spicy. We probably should have ordered the soy-garlic instead. We also noticed that the flavor was mainly concentrated on the skin. Though the meat inside is moist, it lacked the flavor that was so strong on the skin. I've heard better reviews about the wings so maybe it's best to order wings than the drumsticks.  
Furthermore, weeks after its soft launch, we found ourselves disappointed with the service. We simply asked for water and we had to ask 3 different waiters just to get it. In fact, I had to utilize my "masungit" mode (translation: irritable mode) just for the 3rd waiter to move quickly. 


I would have been more understanding if there were a lot of diners but there weren't. Plus, I don't understand how 2 unbusy waiters would forget to serve water after being asked a few seconds ago. Sorry if I'm harsh but I'm expecting much more for paying a premium price for 1 piece of chicken drumstick. Also, it's weeks beyond opening day already.  


While waiting for our glasses of water to be served, we realized that we were sitting next to the owner/manager of Bon Chon. I was so frustrated with the service that I wanted to complain to him. Haha. Of course I just decided to go with my "masungit" strategy which worked. Although I really don't like using that strategy. 
We left Bon Chon disappointed with the service and unconvinced that it's the best chicken. Maybe we should try the Garlic-Soy flavor and the wings instead next time. Let's see, maybe I'll wait for another branch to open in hopes of getting better service. 


Good thing we were instantly distracted by the Christmas Lights & Sounds Show right outside the restaurant. See the short clip above for the last part of the show. There's only one word to describe it: magical. It took our minds off our bad experience and for a moment, we felt like children who are badly looking forward to Christmas. 


Merry Christmas guys! :) 

PS. Before and after we left, every table in Banapple was filled with diners. I guess after all the hype, the best restaurant surfaces :P Haha, I'm such a Banapple girl. :) 

More Info on Bon Chon Chicken:
Address: Ayala Triangle Gardens, Makati Ave. Bel-Air, Makati City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Me
Commuting Instructions: Take MRT to Ayala Station
Budget: Php200/head
Contact: (632) 621-6188


Other Ayala Triangle Garden Posts:
The Kiwee and Wee Nam Kee Connection: Say What?

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

20 comments:

cafémobility said...

don't tell me you did sweep all restos at the ayala triangle without even dragging us to your fold. :)

Anonymous said...

tsk, tsk. Might be the Best chicken around, but it sounds like it has one of the worst services. Sayang.

Smarla said...

Hey John Ray,

Hahaha, I would have wanted to but busog na kami. :P we should have a food trip together soon!

Smarla said...

Hey Will,

sayang talaga. I hope maging iba yung experience sa upcoming branches. They'll have branches in Greenbelt, Eastwood and another place pa soon.

AVA TE-ZABAT♥ said...

aww. I hate it too when you ask for service and you have to ask for it more than once :| tsk. But the photo still makes me want to try hehe

Smarla said...

Haha why not? :) they'll have other branches soon so maybe the service will get better there.

Try their wings and soy & garlic flavor instead :)

Robbie said...

So.... expensive chicken and bad service?

I'll pass.

Wahahaha.

Gary said...

I agree that it's quite expensive and it leaves you a feeling that it's lacking due to its small pieces. You picked the wing flavour though. Bon Chon chicken is the soy garlic variant. That's why they don't offer the hot and spicy one in the meal sets that come with rice and drinks, only in those large packs. I Can almost hear them think, damn, why the hell did this customer pick hot and spicy? We have to cook another batch!

Smarla said...

Hahaha I know, ang mahal! :P magpapalibre na lang ako next time if gusto ko man itry yung soy garlic

Smarla said...

Hi Gary,

I think there shouldn't be a wrong flavor to begin with. :) I mean, it's also as expensive as the soy garlic variant, so it should be good as well. But yes, I've heard raving reviews about the soy garlic variant but there were also good reviews about the hot & spicy flavor.

As for me, I wasn't sold. I'm willing to give it another try and order the wings & soy garlic variant next time but it's not a priority. :)

Jayvie said...

masungit mode!! haha i can't imagine kasi you are such a sweetie eh hahaha

Loyal Ms. Banapple talaga oh haha :D

super duper like ko yang Light and Sounds Christmas Show! eeeeeeh! :D

Smarla said...

Hahaha, I only employ my masungit mode if needed. Pero ayoko talaga siyang ginagamit. :)

Yeah super nice ng Lights & Sounds show. Friend ko yung sound engineer ng show na yan kaya super happy kami for him :)

Rob said...

bon chon is extremely tasty, but it is extremely pricey as well. Also, about your comment regarding flavors to gary, there is something called specialties. They specialize in soy garlic in the same way as yoshinoya and their gyudon, kfc with their chicken, banapple with their banoffee. If you eat anything else in the menu, it won't be as great as their specialty, much like brownies unlimited's cake - good but not great.

Smarla said...

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the comment regarding specialties :) I do agree that restaurants have their own specialties which are the best products in the store.

I was disappointed though with my experience with the Hot & Spicy variant since I've also heard good reviews about it.

I am willing to give their specialty, Soy Garlic, a 2nd try but I'm waiting for their other branches to open to hopefully get better service. :)

Anonymous said...

try Chicken Charlie they also serve twice cooked Fried Chicken Soy-Garlic flavor and Sweet and Spicy as well..they have branches at Wilson St. near Serenitea and BAnawe near Tasty Dumplings :)

*Pat

Smarla said...

Hi Pat,

Thank you so much for this recommendation. :D I'll definitely try this place and write about it. I'll add this to my list of restos to visit. :)

Smar said...

yes, i think when it's bon chon chicken, it's really the soy garlic that should be ordered. the spicy was just spicy, that's it.

Smar said...

my brother likes soy garlic too. :)

shalum_u said...

I agree. We ordered the Spicy drumsticks and apart from the skin, it tasted flat. I expected too much.

None said...

uh oh trying out the spicy variant is a common mistake for bon chon first timers. soy garlic ftw!