Thursday, January 20, 2011

14 Romantic Restaurants for Valentine's Day # 12: Seryna

Looking for some authentic Japanese this Valentine's Day? Let real Japanese chefs whip up your meal!


Seryna is one of the most raved about restaurants in Little Tokyo. By the mere mention of the words "Little Tokyo", my friends start chirping "Seryna" and swearing that it's the best Japanese restaurant ever. Quite a conversation starter, they continue on joyfully reminiscing about the best dishes they've ever tasted in that restaurant. I tell you, they talk with so much passion and conviction, you'll want to rush over to Seryna. 
So when my friend Mara spontaneously called me up for a Seryna dinner, it was an offer I simply couldn't refuse. 


We were warned about coming without a reservation but we pushed our luck anyway. True enough, the parking was packed and we were forced to park in the nearby Makati Cinema Square. Thank God for MCS!
The earthy modern Japanese architecture was quite intimidating but the friendly ushers helped me warm up to the place. All but one table had "reserved" signs on top, so it certainly felt like a privilege to snag a humble table near the Japanese chefs.  
Initially, I wanted to sit right where the action is. Yes, beside the Japanese customers and right before the Japanese chefs. I'm sure it's quite an experience. Then again, I'd feel left out once they start conversing. I don't know any Japanese phrases other than the epic "Wakarimasen" or "I don't understand!" Haha. 
Too bad I wasn't well versed in Japanese since the entire dinner menu was written in Japanese characters. We couldn't find the dishes recommended to us by my friends! Apparently, the lunch menu is different from the dinner menu. Truly beacons of light, the Filipino waitresses helped us order their off-the-menu best sellers. 
Karubi Yakiniku (Php300)
Quite a popular dish among their Japanese customers, we began with Karubi Yakiniku or grilled beef short ribs. These thin beef strips, fully drenched in sweet and salty soy sauce, felt so tender in my mouth. Each strip was packed with much flavor which teases the Filipino taste buds into a rice craving. The serving was quite small though for such a hefty price. Don't even attempt sharing this like we did; it'll only trigger your appetite to look for more. 
Salmon Maki (5pcs, Php190)
We were tempted to order another Php300+ dish when the waitress showed us a smaller menu of their artistically plated 2 pieces of salmon. However, our price conscious side got the better of us and we settled instead for their simple Salmon Maki. It's not written in the menu but it's quite a good deal - almost half the price with more pieces, fantastic! This one's a roll with the most exquisite salmon and powerful wasabi. My tolerance for heat is quite high but each bite of this roll triggered my eyes to water. Now that's some strong wasabi! 


Seryna is the restaurant to go to when you need to impress your date. Their classy interior creates such a regal ambiance that puts their food on a pedestal. The restaurant's solid Japanese following is more than an assurance that they serve great authentic Japanese food. Their prices are quite high but for the quality of their food, you'd be coming back for more. Hopefully, your Valentine's date will also be with you on your next visit. ;)


More Info on Seryna:

Address: 2277 Chino Roces Ave., Makati City, Metro Manila
Landmarks: Right across Makati Cineme Square
Contact Number: (02) 894-3855
Operating Hours: 
    Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm
    Su, M, Th, F, Sa: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
    T, W: 11:30 am - 1:30 pm
Budget: Php350-500/head
Payment: Cash, Visa, Mastercard 
Outfit: Casual
Tip: Best to have a reservation since it's usually packed 

---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

10 comments:

Smar said...

I know! We only realized this when we got there. The dinner menu's way different from the lunch menu. :O Wow, that's a lot of sashimi. I love it! I guess like Kikufuji, Seryna also has affordable bento box meals for the working crowd.

Thanks for the advice Will. I will definitely try Seryna again but for lunch. :)

Wilhelm Su said...

Seryna? For dinner? Tsk tsk. :p

Seryna has an overpriced dinner menu, but has a hidden gem in its lunch sets - its kaizen gozen (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaoko/3907169550/). Yes, that's three kinds of tuna, shake, tako, ebi, uni, ikura and some other fish with flavored rice, miso soup, salad, fruits, and an extra dish (ours was karaage), for only P350. I like it so much that I go out of my way to tell everyone I know about it. :P

You can only get it during lunch time, though. And reserve a couple of days in advance, store's always full.

Wil

Smar said...

Haha anong area ba convenient for you? :) Para I'll make sure mayroon ako sa area na yun :)

Smar said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA gusto ko tuloy siyang sabihan na basahin niya itong comments section. Kaw talaga ah! :P

Smar said...

I've only tried Kikufuji :) Sige I'll try the two others, I'll add them to my list of restos. thanks Michelle!

Smar said...

me too! :D i love how simple but flavorful this cuisine is :)

Theofratus Aurelius said...

raaaarrrrr! Japanese!!!! kaso ang layo hehehe

Jayvie said...

dapat isama natin si **y** from TK pag nagpunta dyan, diba Jap sya hihi :D

MrsMartinez said...

Try also Izakaya NIhonbashitei , Kikufuji and my favorite Nodasho!
xoxo
MrsM

Iryn Enriquez said...

Yummmm! I just love Japanese food!! :D