Have you guys read Margaux Salcedo's "Please Don't Give Blogging a Bad Name"?
If you're a blogger or you spend time reading blogs, I highly suggest that you do.
Last year, I attended a Food Writing Workshop and they gave a lengthy discussion on the importance of a writer's integrity and credibility. I think I understood it before but I realized that it never really sink in until I read Margaux Salcedo's article for Inquirer Lifestyle Magazine today.
Blogs have become influential because they are (supposedly) founded on integrity and credibility. I also read a lot of blogs myself. I turn to them whenever I eat out or travel. Serving as guides, blogs allow me to discover hidden culinary gems all over the country. There have been disheartening food trips here and there but in general, blogs tend to be reliable guides.
So after reading the article, I couldn't help but feel disheartened. This is definitely a major blow to the blogging community. In as much as I want to write a long ranting entry against Big Bad Blogger (you give blogging a bad name! --> just a short rant, hehe), I'm going to be more proactive about this issue.
Here's my promise to my readers:
1. I only blog about restaurants or places I've personally visited. I only blog about food that I've actually tasted.
2. I don't get paid to write about the restaurants I go to. I don't introduce myself either as a blogger when I go on food trips. I have received free samples in the past, but I always and will always disclose that information. If I'm told that I can't disclose any relevant information such as a paid post, a free sample, an invite, a friend's business, etc., then I won't write about it.
3. An invite or a free sample does not equate to a raving write up or any write up at all. Following what I've learned from the writing workshop, if I have nothing good to say at all and I can't say it professionally, then I won't write about it.
4. I started this blog because I wanted to be creative and hone my writing skills. As an aspiring writer, it's a must to tell my readers the truth and protect my byline.
5. This blog is my personal collection of sweet notes on love and food and I intend to keep it that way. Blogging is supposed to be fun after all and never as a mechanism to terrorize anyone. Let's it keep it light, honest and fun, shall we?
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
If you're a blogger or you spend time reading blogs, I highly suggest that you do.
Last year, I attended a Food Writing Workshop and they gave a lengthy discussion on the importance of a writer's integrity and credibility. I think I understood it before but I realized that it never really sink in until I read Margaux Salcedo's article for Inquirer Lifestyle Magazine today.
Blogs have become influential because they are (supposedly) founded on integrity and credibility. I also read a lot of blogs myself. I turn to them whenever I eat out or travel. Serving as guides, blogs allow me to discover hidden culinary gems all over the country. There have been disheartening food trips here and there but in general, blogs tend to be reliable guides.
So after reading the article, I couldn't help but feel disheartened. This is definitely a major blow to the blogging community. In as much as I want to write a long ranting entry against Big Bad Blogger (you give blogging a bad name! --> just a short rant, hehe), I'm going to be more proactive about this issue.
Here's my promise to my readers:
1. I only blog about restaurants or places I've personally visited. I only blog about food that I've actually tasted.
2. I don't get paid to write about the restaurants I go to. I don't introduce myself either as a blogger when I go on food trips. I have received free samples in the past, but I always and will always disclose that information. If I'm told that I can't disclose any relevant information such as a paid post, a free sample, an invite, a friend's business, etc., then I won't write about it.
3. An invite or a free sample does not equate to a raving write up or any write up at all. Following what I've learned from the writing workshop, if I have nothing good to say at all and I can't say it professionally, then I won't write about it.
4. I started this blog because I wanted to be creative and hone my writing skills. As an aspiring writer, it's a must to tell my readers the truth and protect my byline.
5. This blog is my personal collection of sweet notes on love and food and I intend to keep it that way. Blogging is supposed to be fun after all and never as a mechanism to terrorize anyone. Let's it keep it light, honest and fun, shall we?
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~
22 comments:
I totally agree :) credibility is a huge part of blogging. i don't have problems with paid posts but there's a need to disclose that information so that the readers can take the review with a grain of salt.
marketmanila has been blogging even before we learn how to journal online food entries and call it a blog. my hats off to the guy and he was even featured in Jessica Soho TV Magazine.
blogging is a lot like journalism. the only difference is that you own your write up while most journalist's manuscript must adhere to the publishing house rules.
but yes, i believe that CREDIBILITY is a main ingredient in the blogosphere. and just like you, i don't blog in restos that i haven't been there. and my blogs are not paid by the restaurants or by any of its affiliate groups. my blogs are my personal opinions from the time i was there, in which such experience may differ from the time of comeback, or from the perspective of other diners.
I've read that article. I agree with you. I was surprised and disheartened that such bloggers and such firms exist. It's sad to know that Georgia and others like her now fear the blogging community.:S
Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment on our site btw!<3
kaya nga eh. it's already harassment. haaay :(
blogging should be about writing and having fun, i can't take this madness.... huhuhuhu
Yeaaah I agree! I really hope though na hindi totoo yung news. If totoo man, I think it's better to name the PR firm and the blogger para they can defend themselves din at hindi nadadamay yung mga ibang bloggers
I actually agree, kailangan pangalanan kasi kawawa yung mga naaccuse na bloggers. naawa ako kay anton diaz, siya yung napagchismisan ng maraming tao. for the record, never ko siyang naisip. i was thinking na baka new blogger kasi willing sirain yung reputation niya
Go Smarsmar!
What the Big Bad Blogger and the 'company' did was unimaginable! How could they! Ammp! They've destroyed the very essence of blogging. Hay naku. Uminit din ang ulo? Hehe
Yaan na nating karma ang maningil sa kanila :P
Nasisira lang talaga ang name ng lahat ng bloggers because of this issue. Sana pangalanan na. Wahahaha.
I know. Hindi na siya public relations, harassment na yun. Haaay. There are other bloggers who say that maybe someone is just blackmailing the PR firm. Or there's another angle saying that maybe the PR firm is just citing a blogger without the blogger's consent at nagkataon lang na may good and bad review. Haay, I don't know the truth but I really wish this isn't true
Yes it's really sad. :( I honestly pray that this isn't true, that it's just some really bad rumor
Yes it's really sad. :( I have nothing against bloggers that have paid posts but to threaten restaurant owners so that they pay you, that's a whole different issue. I agree, iba rin talaga if you write posts that you're really passionate about.
Thank you so much! :) Hope you drop by again :)
Awwww thank you so much Ava :)
Yes, I agree. Mas important ang credibility at the end of the day lalo na if you're establishing an online presence. Kaya medyo weird sa article na willing yung blogger i-retract yung statements niya against the restaurant. Huh, pwede ba yun?
Yes, super disheartening talaga. I really hope home bakers and restauranteurs don't feel threatened by other bloggers.
You're welcome, I'll definitely come back. :)
The last issue of Sunday Inquirer Magazine is totally devoted to blogging. I've read about the article you mentioned and being in corporate blogging myself, prior to this, I've never heard of a similar instance. Grabe lang, how that firm harasses just to get profit. Parang hindi nila alam yung meaning ng PR.
Oh my, this is really sad! I just read your post last night...
Sad to know that there are bloggers like that. Pero ganun yata talaga, may mga mukang pera or kung di man pera, ibang bagay. Kagaya nalang ng blogs na puro paid articles naman mababasa. Iba talaga if you write with your heart.
I'm new here. Nice blog BTW :)
You really are a professional writer, smarla :) you have good writing etiquette :)
Sakto kakabasa ko lang kanina yung article bago ako napunta dito. Wahahaha.
I've been invited to a few food events but I don't go raving about them just cause I have to. Most of the time sariling budget pa rin talaga ang nasa blog ko at I make honest reviews din. I don't like lying to my readers dahil credibility ko din yun.
But that right there is a little sad. Pero ganun talaga, may mga bloggers talaga na gagamitin ang 'power' nila para makalibre.
sobrang depressing. tska grabe ah, talagang nagsulat ng panakot na blog entry. grabe. haaay. did you get to read marketmanila's entry on this issue din, sobrang bilib talaga ako sa kanya.
Yeah, I think it's a good idea especially in the light of this issue. :) Hay, ang sad lang na pati credibility ng bloggers ngayon in question na.
I just read the article and I agree, it is a bit depressing. Sigh. Maybe I should also put a "promise" list on my blog no? Gayahin kita. Hehe. Pero mine is about movies naman - mainstream! LOL
Oh, and ditto to this statement: "Blogging is supposed to be fun after all and never as a mechanism to terrorize anyone. Let's it keep it light, honest and fun, shall we? " I couldn't agree with you more.
Post a Comment