Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Homemade Quattro Formaggi Pizza!

I present to you my Quattro Formaggi Pizza, a.k.a. Four Cheeses Pizza! 


Hey guys! :) How's your weekend so far?


I love watching cooking shows on weekends, from Lifestyle Network, to QTV and even Star World. Yes, I'm a cooking show addict! And during commercial breaks, I read my food books. Haha. 


I'm currently loving Junior MasterChef Australia. I wonder, how do they raise their kids to be that awesome in the kitchen? At the age of 8, they can already cook up complicated dishes and artistically plate their food. Wow. Maybe they read cookbooks to their kids as bedtime stories? I don't know but I sure want a kid like that. :)


Anyway, an afternoon of cooking shows marathon inspired me to bake my own pizza, Quattro Formaggi Pizza! 
Instead of tomato sauce, the pizza uses a basil pesto base. You can easily buy this from the grocery or whip it up yourself. Since I couldn't find basil pesto in our grocery, I made my own by mixing fresh basil leaves, olive oil, walnuts, garlic and salt in our blender. 
On hindsight, I should have pounded the walnuts before putting them in the blender since they got stuck. It took awhile before my blender functioned again and I couldn't get the texture I wanted. Oh well. 
Since I was feeling Junior Masterchef-y, I also made my own pizza crust! I don't have my own pet yeast so I used active dry yeast I bought from the grocery. I dissolved it in lukewarm water until bubbles surfaced. Yes, my yeast is still alive! 
I then poured in the yeast mixture into the flour and combined it together with oil and salt. 
I transferred the dough to a lightly floured surface and kneaded it for about 5 minutes. For 10 minutes, I covered it with a kitchen towel and let it rise. Afterwards, I punched it down and kneaded it again for another 5 minutes. It's not as brutal as it sounds, swear. :)
The dough is good enough for two pizzas so I divided it into two parts and flattened them using a rolling pin. Afterwards, I went crazy with the toppings. I smeared the basil pesto and threw in parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and blue cheese cubes. I love cheese so I made sure I didn't scrimp on all four cheeses. 


I popped it in the 375 F pre heated oven for 3-5 minutes. Right before serving, I garnished it with fresh basil leaves. Yaaaay! Nothing beats freshly baked pizza for dinner! Especially an extra cheesy thin crust pizza shared with loved ones. :)

How about you, how do you spend your weekends? 


Here's the list of ingredients:
Pizza Crust
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon salt


Toppings
Basil pesto
150 grams mozzarella cheese, grated
20 grams Parmesan cheese
20 grams blue cheese, cubed
20 grams cream cheese, cubed
fresh basil leaves for garnish 



Basil Pesto
3 cups of fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon walnuts
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt



Hope you have fun making your pizza too! And if I were you, go crazy on the cheeses too! It tastes better that way. :) 
Btw, my mom and I both had our haircuts the other day. What do you think? :) 


Have a great weekend! 


*Recipe taken from Yummy Magazine January-February 2011 issue
---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

12 comments:

Smar said...

there are actually food writers who cannot cook or don't like to cook. but as long as you love to eat, i think you can still be a food blogger :D

John Ray Cabrera said...

you now, for one to be a a truly food blogger, he/she must know how to cook at the very least.

Smar said...

salamat! di pa nga ako sanay, tuwing nagsusuklay ako parang kulang. Haha. :)

awww dream ko yun, sariling cooking show. sana kasing ganda nga lang ako nina giada. ang ganda nila magluto, parang di pinagpapawisan. super edited siguro, hahaha joke!

Jayvie said...

love the new hair! :D

wow pati yung dough/crust, from scratch! astig astig! pwedeng pwede ka na talaga magkaron ng cooking show. and pareho tayo, super fave ko din manuod ng cooking shows! hihi :D

Smar said...

Awww thank you so much Peachkins! It's my first time to make pizza from scratch. Dati may ready crust akong ginagamit. :)

Smar said...

Sige sige, one day I'll cook for you guys! :) Sabi ko nga kay Jayvie, magbaking tayo sa bakeshop ng friend ko para masaya. Magaganda kasi equipment niya kaya masaya magbake dun.

Yes, super addicting talaga! Ang galing nila, ano kaya gatas ng mga batang yun, ba't ang galing nila? I wish may Masterchef competition sa bahay everyday para masarap at may variety yung food parati. Haha. :)

peachkins said...

your pizza looks really delicious!

Robbie Bautista said...

Sana you can cook for us in the future! gusto ko matikman mga food mo. :3

Oh and I've been addicted to Masterchef USA and Junior Masterchef for the past 2 weeks na!!!! Ang galing at nakaka-frustrate kasi ang pangit ng mga kinakain ko dito sa bahay in real life. Wahahaha.

Smar said...

Yup super cheese overdose, yummy!! :) i saw the cupcakes that you made, galing! Talagang nainspire tayo ng junior masterchef :)

Smar said...

thanks ava! it's been awhile since I had my hair this short. It's really short at the back.

Thank you so much. I hope one day I can be as good as those kids in Junior Master Chef. Haha

Lorra Elena said...

That looks so yummy! I'll try making one too. Cheese overdose. ^_^

ava said...

I'm a sucker for cheese pizza!!:) Yours looks so good! You really are a great cook, smarla! can't wait to taste it someday. :) Thanks for the ingredients too! I love your haircut!:) suits you!