Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine's Day # 7: Date Any Time with Borough

Valentine's Day on a Monday? Ugh. 

Don't you worry, you can have your Valentine's date at any time with Borough. Yes, they're open 24/7 in Podium mall! 

So after a long tiring work day, you can lounge around and indulge in good old comfort food. With its two mall entry points, Borough, offers New York comfort food 24 hours a day and 7 days a week! 

From the people behind Il Ponticello Cafe Ristorante, Borough is a bar-restaurant named after the 5 boroughs of New York: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, Bronx and Manhattan. Walking through this cozy, loft-style restaurant, you'll be transported to the Big Apple. The walls are painted deep green and partly covered with planks of wood, mimicking the artsy New York neighborhood. Situated under overhead dim lights, the coal black tables are matched with a mix of wooden chairs and muted floral printed couches. Large group of friends may choose to sit on tall floral stools paired with a long steel table. 
Eggplant Parmegiana (Php390)
Together with my friend Alfred, who just arrived from China for a short break, we ordered their Eggplant Parmegiana. It is a "panko crusted fried eggplant covered in mozzarella cheese and sprinkled in parmesan cheese. Served with buttered spaghetti." Panko is a Japanese type of bread crumb that adds a nice crunch to this pasta-like eggplant dish. The lightness of the spaghetti balances off the rich tomato sauce and milky mozzarella enveloping the eggplant. I loved this dish! :)
Pumpkin Ravioli (Php250)
I wanted a gastronomically exciting dish, so we ordered a Chef's Recommended dish, Pumpkin Ravioli. It is "homemade ravioli stuffed with roasted garlic and pumpkin. Sauteed in brown butter and served with walnuts and cranberries and garnished with basil puree." 


It's definitely a unique pasta that I've never tasted before. Highly flavorful, the pasta was perfectly cooked al dente that allows the pumpkin to burst in your mouth after a few chewy bites. The dish is a little too oily for me though but I must commend its innovativeness. 
Chocolate Chicken Wings (Php280/6 pcs) 
We had problems with our server missing out on our appetizer, so our Chocolate Chicken Wings were served last. We had to remind our server twice before it was brought to our table. It seemed like he forgot to tell the kitchen twice. It then took awhile before it was finally served. 


A Chef's recommended dish, these Chocolate Chicken Wings are six "baked chicken wings coated in cocoa and cinnamon powder and served with sour cream with cilantro dip." Even though it's a popular unique dish in Borough, sadly, I didn't like it. The different strong salty, sweet and sour flavors just didn't blend in together harmoniously. I tried eating as many pieces, thinking that I would eventually like it, but I didn't. This surprised me since I really liked Casa Xocolat's cacao rubbed chicken strips. Oh well. 
Mom's Milk and Cookies (Php190)
Among all of the dishes we tried, I must say Borough won me over with their Mom's Milk and Cookies. Served with a small bottle of fresh milk dunked in a steel pail of ice, these warm and chewy cookies comfortingly triggered nostalgic childhood memories. They come in three flavors: chocolate chip, gingerbread and oatmeal cinnamon. The cinnamon was a bit too sweet for my liking by the gingerbread is just so damn good! It's THE perfect dessert after a long day work day.  


So this Valentine's Day, don't worry about ending late from work. Borough will be open no matter what time you have your Valentines' date. :) 


Happy Valentine's Day! 


PS. The other entry point of Borough is near the ground parking lot. 


More Info on Borough:
Address: G/F The Podium Mall, 12 ADB Ave., Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila
Contact: (02) 570-8906
Map: Click Here
Menu: Click Here
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 12:00 mn - 12:00 mn
Budget: Php400-500/head
Payment: Cash, Visa, Mastercard, Amex, JCB
Outfit: Casual


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

14 comments:

Sef Gutierrez said...

looks delicious .. i want to try some of it ..

Smar said...

Hahahaha, sorry robbie! :D

Smar said...

hindi eh, yung rap part kinanta ko, hahaha! :))

Robbie Bautista said...

Ayoko na sayo Smarla!!! Ayoko naaaaa!!!! Wahahaha!
Grabe natakam ako sa photos especially the Eggplant Parmegiana and Pumpkin Ravioli. Grabe I wanna go there now!

Jayvie said...

hindi ka naman napakanta ng "In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can do.." ? hihi :D

Smar said...

I wasn't bothered naman by the water. Mas nainis ako sa service during my first visit kasi nasabihan na namin siya na he missed out on our appetizer, tapos nakalimutan pa rin niya. :O

Sa 2nd visit ko, mas attentive naman na yung waiter. :)

Smar said...

ah really? so for breakfast, only the breakfast meals are available?

Yes I remember your blog entry, that's why I went to this resto. :D I was supposed to go here back in December but they were closed because of their Christmas party. Booo. I'm glad I was able to try it na.

Smar said...

yup a nice resto for NY comfort food :)

John Ray Cabrera said...

i ordered Steak and Eggs(Php450 + 10% SC), Jasmine Rice(Php40 + 10% SC), and a Granola mixture with Yoghurt, fresh milk, and slices of fresh fruits(Php260 + 10% SC). the food is ok though. i don't like the taste of the wate they serve. it taste like a faucet water. i didn't bother asking though if it was a pure distilled water.

John Ray Cabrera said...

been here too, nice manhattan comfort food at 24x7 operation. they're a bit dark and a bit gothic for me but very good for drinking session.

however, i was here on a breakfast. like 6am on a weekday. too early. and i was the only customer at that time. i ordered a dinner meal but sadly they only serve it during dinner. they only have a limited choices for breakfast. i was hoping that they will change the menu system, like you can order whatever menu since they are open round the clock.

Smar said...

Mahal nga! :P I didn't like their chocolate chicken wings but masarap yung dessert :)

Rackell Lumberio said...

Super expensive naman dito.. pero in fairness, mukhang masarap yung chocolate chicken wings.. ^_^

Smar said...

I wasn't able to try the stuffed mushroom sandwich but I agree, I didn't like the chicken wings. :( The ravioli could be better if used a little less oil. Matagal kasi yung after taste ng oil at mapapanahap ka talaga ng dessert to wash it off.

Paolo said...

I was actually disappointed when we tried out Borough's food. We had the same ravioli and chicken wings, with the addition of the stuffed mushroom sandwich.

All of the three were soaked with oil. The ravioli was superb, though. But the two other dishes were a big turn-off.

Too bad because the ideas were innovative, but the execution did not match up to it.