Wednesday, September 15, 2010

12 Baskets Bakeshop: Bread, Pastry & Cake

If you've read my past entries regarding my first fondant cake, I mentioned that I made it in Fred's 12 Baskets Bakeshop kitchen (click herehere and here if you want to read them). This bakeshop has been open in San Juan since June this year. 
Blessing of 12 Baskets Bakeshop
Only in its 3rd month, it has already successfully dominated my food dreams (those egg tarts!). Yes I dream about food :) I may look petite, but I have a huge appetite when it's really good food! I belong to a family of bread people so bakeshops always make us happy!



My mom went with me to visit Fred back when he was still in his little kitchen to experiment. It was a great experience because we were able to help make, taste and buy freshly baked bread!
Raisin Loaf (Php60)
My mom bought a lot of bread from Fred that day but fell in love with their Raisin Loaf bread. I must say it really is a winner. I used to love munching on Gardenia's raisin bread but after tasting this one, 2nd best won't do anymore. It's really better than Gardenia's especially when it's freshly baked! The bread is more tasty and fluffy, I love it! 


RJ, on the other hand, always asks me to bring home 2 pieces of Ensaymada.
Ensaymada (Php30) 
He always asks for 2 ensaymadas so he can share it with me. Awwww. :) Anyway, he really loves their ensaymada because it's really tasty and the bread is delectably soft and sweet! This is my staple pasalubong for RJ. Great great ensaymadas! No wonder it's one of the store's best sellers. 
Egg Tarts
Since I baked with Fred last Thursday, I was able to taste a fresh batch of his egg tarts! He gave me one piece and it was REALLY GOOD! After that I told him, "Fred I believe in you and your egg tarts." Interestingly, a day after this, I saw Lori's post on Dessert Comes First: "The Search for the Elusive Egg Tart (A Plea)" and I just had to recommend these egg tarts because they were that fantastic! I swear! Lori is slowly becoming my favorite food blogger so I really wanted her to taste these great egg tarts for herself. I hope she visits the bakeshop soon! :)
I really like this bakeshop. It's bright, sunny and homey. Plus the interior lighting makes it easy for me to take photos of the breads! I also love the baskets tray for their bread display. It's very much inline to the store's name. 


Unlike other bakeshops, 12 Baskets Bakeshop boasts a wide selection of breads in the store. I guess this wide variety of breads is based on their store name which speaks of blessings and abundance. The store's name is based on the biblical passage Mark 6:42-44, "Everyone ate and had enough. Then the disciples took up 12 BASKETS full of what was left over of the bread and fish. They fed five thousand."


Based on their walk-in sales, their best sellers include the following:
The Classic: Pandesal (Php20/pack)
Of course, a bakeshop is never complete without the classic pandesal! Pass by the store when it's really early, like 6 or 7 AM, to get hot pandesal. Freshly baked bread is always the way to go! 
Dinner Rolls (Php50/pack)
I love these dinner rolls. It's a great bread before a meal. I love eating this with butter or CheezWhiz! It's also soft and sweet so sometimes I eat it on its own as well. :) I love munching on them, I can finish the whole pack in one sitting. Haha, yes, I have a huge appetite for bread!
Monay (Php30/pack)
If you like breads that fill your empty stomach right away, this monay does the job! 


Another crowd favorite and also a personal favorite is their Spanish bread! Compared to other shops, I find 12 Baskets' Spanish bread more flavorful. I guess it's because they are also more generous with the filling. :) Sorry I don't have a picture of this one.


I just noticed that the walk-ins are a bit on the safe side on their bread choices. Too bad since their other breads are also great!
Foccacia Bread (Php70)
Remember that complimentary herby bread in Italliani's which they serve with balsamic vinegar and olive oil? They also make that bread here, it's Foccacia bread! It's really herby and soft. It goes well with any kind of pasta just like in Italian restaurants.
Cinnamon Bread (Php30)
I haven't personally tried the Cinnamon Bread yet but it's slowly becoming one of the store's best sellers. They recently repackaged it into individual pieces so that walk-ins can enjoy it for merienda. :)
Choco Marble Loaf (Php50)
They also sell loaves like this Choco Marble Loaf. I haven't tried it but it looks delicious! I wonder how they make the twisting effect. Hmmm.. They also sell plain Tasty Loaf for Php40.
Chocolate Rolls (Php40/pack)
Aside from the Choco Marble Loaf, chocolate lovers out there will enjoy the store's new Chocolate Rolls. It's really chocolatey with fudge in the middle! YUM!
Revel Bars (Php150/box)
If you haven't satisfied your sweet tooth from the Choco Marble Loaf and the Chocolate Rolls, you better try the Revel Bars! It's a popular item especially during the holidays since it has a long shelf life and it tastes good! It has a nice gooey chocolatey center. 
Whole Wheat Loaf
There are also whole wheat breads for healthy conscious people or trying to be health conscious people. *cough Gian cough* :D There's the Whole Wheat Loaf and the Whole Wheat Pandesal (Php30/pack). 


Here are also some of the new products in the store:
Pesto Pan De Sal (Php48/pack)
I got so curious that I tried this one. It's a winner! When I took a bite, I suddenly wished I had pasta to go along with it. Great bread innovation!
I haven't tried this one yet but it looks yummy! I want to snack on it while I'm typing these words. I can almost taste it. Haha :) You can purchase this on the counter. They now also serve brownies and coffee buns which they sell by individual pieces. Yaaay more merienda choices! You can text in your orders to 0920938421. 
Sumilao Corn Coffee
Of course, 12 Baskets Bakeshop also supports the Sumilao Farmers by carrying their Sumilao Corn Coffee in the store. Remember when the Sumilao Farmers walked to Manila all the way from Mindanao last 2007? Click here for more details on the "Walk for Land. Walk for Justice". My friend Cheenee Otarra is spearheading this social entrepreneurship with the Sumilao farmers. Click here for her touching article: "What Hope Means to a 22-year-old"


12 Baskets Bakeshop also bakes cheesecakes (another personal favorite!), apple pies and other pastries on a per order basis. They also create Christmas gift packages such as the Foccacia bread-olive oil-balsamic vinegar package. If you have more inquiries, please contact 09209384212 or leave a message in their Facebook page. If you want to read more about 12 Baskets, click here for fellow blogger's, Couch Wasabi, blog.


Personally, RJ and I love going to this bakeshop. We love sharing ensaymada and trying out their latest products. I just wish they had a couple of chairs so we can hang out for a longer time in the store. 


I also love baking in the kitchen with Fred. I find baking a really great bonding activity since there's a lot of room for conversation: while you're waiting for the dough to rise, waiting for the bread to cool down, etc. It's perfect for those kwentuhan and catching up sessions. 


If you happen to be in San Juan area or you're just craving for pastries and bread, do visit 12 Baskets Bakeshop. You'll surely love their breads. Plus, if ever you see me there, don't forget to say hi! 
12 Baskets is behind Xavier School & across Little Baguio Baranggay Hall
More Info on 12 Baskets Bakeshop:
Address: 38 Gen J. Gutierrez St. Cor J. Abad Santos St., Little Baguio, San Juan City
Store Hours: 6AM-10PM daily
Contact: 09209384212






~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

16 comments:

Tina said...

nice selection of breads.. too bad I am from bacoor..

Smarla said...

Awww too bad! I haven't been to Bacoor :) If I happen to go to Bacoor at least I know I can contact you :D

w0rkingAth0mE said...

wow yummy breads .. i love eating bread how i wish i'm near in your place, looks delicious really y fave one is the tart =)

Smarla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smarla said...

Hi Mona! :) yes the egg tarts are simply delicious :) i hope you can pass by the bakeshop when you're in the area. im sure your daughter kyla will love the pastries!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I swear I just got diabetes from reading this post! So many tasty treats! :D
Also, I love your outfit. You look fabulous. :)


MELANIELIKES.BLOGSPOT.COM
<3
Follow?

Smarla said...

Hi Melanie! :) Haha, I wish you could fly here and taste them. Aww hey thanks. Yup followed you. :) love your outfits!

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

I passed by this bakeshop last night! It's so near my mom's place! I will try it one of these days!

xoxo
MrsM

Smarla said...

Hi Mrs. Martinez :) Really, that's great! Yes, you should definitely try their egg tarts - they're my favorite :)

Smarla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smarla said...

Hi! :) If there are any feedbacks or suggestions for Fred, please be specific so he can address them and also get back to you. :) I do relay your messages to him. We love reading your feedbacks :) Thanks so much!

- Smarla

Anonymous said...

how much are those egg tarts? :)

Smarla said...

Hi! :) The egg tarts are sold per box at P180 with six pieces :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!!! I read about this breadshop at Lori's blog. I decided to try it. Bought two boxes of eggtarts and give it to my friends. They just love it!!! Now, I am sending my driver to buy a box for my own...hehehe!!! The pandesal and spanish bread are also good. Price is very affordable. Staff and owner very friendly!!!

Smarla said...

Hi! :D Yaaaay! I'm so happy you loved the eggtarts, the pandesal and the spanish bread! :D i'll tell Fred you had a great time in 12 Baskets. Try the ensaymada too, we really love it!

yuettewright said...

Recently I was REALLY low on money and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money on the internet. I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I've been far more able to pay my bills! I'm so glad, I did this! - snhx