Okay, I've never met his mom because they live in the province so this is going to be the first time I'll meet her. There's nothing scary about his mom according to RJ's stories but I don't know, I suddenly felt so nervous. I usually love meeting my friends' parents, but I felt sooo nervous about this particular meeting. Probably it's because she lives in the province and it will be a long time until I see her again. That means that whatever impression I make on one night will linger on for months... months... months... I know I'm exaggerating but it was a hit or miss opportunity and I wanted to make a good impression.
The dinner was set at 7 PM last Monday. After consulting my friend Gian for good gift ideas, I decided to bake for her my famous (famous only at our house!) quick rolls. So right after my Monday meetings, I rushed off to the grocery like crazy. It was already 1:30 PM and I still had to bake! Plus, I wanted to have a haircut too. Hahaha, I went a little overboard huh? I was that nervous! :P
My mom, who unfortunately decided to go to the mall with me, also had to run around like crazy in the mall with me. Haha, sorry mom! Anyway, I got back home at around 2:30PM and rushed cleaning the tables, utensils and kitchenware that I needed for baking. Afterwards, Ate told me that the oven was broken! I swear I was hyperventilating when she told me this. Good thing my mom had a back up electric oven!
After mixing all the dry and wet ingredients, here's how the dough looks like. Still needs more kneading!
Afterwards, we sliced them into smaller pieces and flattened them to make space for slices of yummy cream cheese. We then gathered the edges together to form a ball with the cream cheese inside.
We then brushed each roll with egg yolk for that golden finish! We placed them on a greased pan and popped it in the electric oven.
After 10 minutes of baking, the rolls were golden and our kitchen smelled so delicious! My mom went into the kitchen and asked for a piece right after I took out the first batch! Hahaha.
We finished baking at around 4 PM. Good time! I still had time for a haircut! So as the quick rolls were cooling, I rushed to the nearby salon to have my haircut. I didn't want a drastic haircut, just a clean trim to keep my hair looking healthy. Here are the photos of the before and after looks:
![]() |
| Before the Haircut |
![]() |
| After the Haircut |
I know, not much has changed but my hair looked really neat and polished. Right after my haircut, I received a text message from RJ that the dinner has been moved to 6PM. It was already 5PM so I rushed back home and placed the breads in the container. Since she was flying out the next day, I decided to get a plastic container so she can bring it home with her for the dad. Haha, two birds with one stone :P
![]() |
| My gift in a box :) |
I immediately changed clothes and headed out for dinner. Good thing I was already mentally scanning my closet for what to wear during my haircut. Since RJ told me that his mom was very simple, I decided to have a very simple look as well. No make up, plain top and jeans.
So how was the dinner?
It actually was a great dinner. His mom was as lovely as his sisters. She was very nice and warm to me. When I saw her smile at me, the "Meet-the-Parents-Interrogation-Lie-Detector-Test" image went away and I calmed down and enjoyed everyone's company. It was a great dinner - all the grocery-baking-haircut madness was worth it :)
Thank you for a great dinner :)
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~
Thank you to the following for the pictures:
Movie Poster - Meet the Parents, elakiri.com
Electric oven - diytraide.com











2 comments:
Looks really yummy!! Can you post an entry with your 'famous quick rolls' recipe? I really love to try it! <3
Hi Samantha! Thank you so much for visiting! As for the recipe, I'll post other recipes :) this is my secret recipe that I use for special events. If you want, i can make you one :)
keep on baking!
Post a Comment