Monday, October 11, 2010

10-10-10 Monthsary Gift: Scalloped Potatoes from Scratch

Yesterday it was 10-10-10 day :)

There's an interesting project called One Day on Earth that asks people from all over the world to simultaneously document their own 10-10-10 story in order to create a 10-10-10 world film. I tried documenting my own by taking videos but I don't think my 10-10-10 day was so ground shaking since I had to be stuck at home for more than half the day due to the weather. Booo!


Anyway, since 10-10-10 also meant our monthsary, I decided to cook up something in the kitchen for RJ. We've been eating out a lot so it was a nice change and I just wanted to show him that I can cook (and not just bake)! He's a better cook than I am. :P


I took out my trusty FOOD cookbook and decided to make Scalloped Potatoes from scratch as a monthsary gift. My ate helped me out on this one too so that I can take pictures occasionally. 
Boiling the Potatoes with Garlic, Salt, Pepper and Milk
We took 1 kilo of potatoes, peeled them and sliced them around 1/4 inch thick. Afterwards, we boiled them in a small pan with the following: 
  • 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper 
  • 2 cups of fresh milk
We stirred it every once in awhile just to prevent the pototoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan. We boiled them until the potatoes were tender but still firm. A toothpick test will help you out on this one. 


The potatoes were then drained as we set aside the milk for the white sauce. On another pan, we started with the white sauce.
We melted 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat then later on added the following to this pan:
  • 2 tablespoons of flour
  • The reserved milk (from the boiled potatoes)
  • 2 cups of chicken stock (water + 1 chicken cube/chicken powder)
White Sauce: Butter, Flour, Reserved Milk and Chicken Stock
We boiled it over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce was creamy and thick. In the meanwhile, we already started pre-heating the oven to 350 F.
With the boiled potatoes lined up on a baking dish, we poured the white sauce all over them. 
We then sprinkled bread crumbs...
and parmesan cheese (the secret ingredient that makes it extra yummy), red and green peppers and some diced up leafy vegetable. You can also top it off with paprika. 
We then popped it in the pre-heated oven for around 10 minutes or until the top was brown. Here the final product! Voila! 
Doesn't it look pretty? :D 


RJ and I ate this for lunch along with fish. This dish is actually best paired with roasts and fried chicken but on its own, it's really delicious. The potatoes were so succulent with wonderful milky and peppery taste to it. The parmesan cheese leaves your mouth with a simply yummy aftertaste. It's like the icing on the cake. 


The best part is, it's also very easy to make! We had a great lunch together at home and we were forced to stay at home in the afternoon since it was raining pretty hard. I actually had to fetch RJ in the convenience store near our village because he got stranded. :P


We watched How I Met Your Mother episodes and A Very Special Love (hihi, Lloydie) while it was raining outside. RJ kept teasing me whenever I would giggle at John Lloyd scenes. Haha kilig :P 


Later in the afternoon, it stopped raining and I wanted to much to go out since I dressed up for the occasion. Not super dress up but I'm not in my usual shirt and jeans. Haha too bad if I won't be able to go out.  
We decided to head out for dinner in Maginhawa Street. We had a winner dinner! I'll talk more about this tomorrow! 


How was your 10-10-10 day? Did you make your own list of the 10 things you're grateful for 10-10-10?  Here are the five things that I'm grateful for (in no particular order): 
  1. I am thankful for the gift of new friends and inspiring bosses from the campaign. IMY!
  2. I am thankful for a great new boss and an exciting job after the campaign
  3. I am grateful for a very loving SD whom I can contact to share my successes or my low points even outside SD sessions
  4. I am grateful for very supportive friends and family who encourage me to keep on writing :) Thank you especially to those who message me in FB and give me restaurants I should go to. You guys really touch me :)
  5. I am grateful for meeting fabulous people through this blog. They're all very inspiring and I love reading their posts. I actually enjoy reading blogs from people of the same age bracket and even those who are older than I am. I learn so much from them. Thank you to those who even recommended certain blog layouts, I'm still working on them :)
I'll continue my 10 grateful things list tomorrow since I'm writing about our 10-10-10 dinner. I hope you had a great 10-10-10 day as well! 

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

No comments: