Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Blugre Coffee: Davao, You Stole my Heart with Durian in my Coffee

A few weeks ago I was craving for Durian. Since RJ just came back from Mindanao, I now have 3 packs of Durian in our freezer! *smells our freezer* Hmmm...YUM! Thanks RJ!
Durian Seed from one of the packs of Durian from RJ :)
With the smell of Durian dominating our freezer, I cannot help but miss Davao. I want to go back! Falling in love with Durian certainly was the highlight of my Davao trip back in 2009. And I just fell head over heels when my Ninong introduced me to durian coffee from Blugre!
Blugre Coffee is a coffee shop popular for its Durian flavored drinks such as their original Durian Gatpuccino (hot durian coffee) and Durian Larcepuccino (ice blended durian coffee). Today, they have extended their Durian coffees to other drinks such as Durian Affogato Royal. 
If you're wondering why their drinks are called Gatpuccino and Larcepuccino, their store owners are husband and wife, Gatchi and Larcy Gatchalian. Both of them are actually from Manila but they have decided to settle in Davao. They claim that they are Davaenos by heart. With such a Davao centered coffee shop, who can argue?
Their pioneering coffee shop opened in 1998. Blugre Coffee is then attributed as the spearhead of the burgeoning coffee culture in Davao. Today, Blugre has 3 branches in Davao and 2 in General Santos. Manny Pacquiao owns the franchise in General Santos!


With a cozy ambiance, free wifi and a creative menu that pays tribute to Davao's famous Durian, why even bother considering other coffee shops? I seriously believe that Blugre Coffee can go head to head with foreign coffee shop brands. I hope they open more branches in other parts of the Philippines. Metro Manila please?
In Blugre Coffee, 2009
When I went to Davao last year, I met up with my Ninong and his wife and a Jesuit friend. My stay in Davao was quite brief so I was really glad that they were able to accommodate me for one night. My Ninong made it a point to bring me to Blugre Coffee. With its unique durian coffee, it has definitely become a tourist attraction!


I ordered their signature hot coffee, Durian Gatpuccino.
Durian Gatpuccino
Surprisingly, durian and coffee blend so well together. It tasted really good! It also doesn't have a very strong pungent smell but you could really taste the durian. I loved the fact that there are durian fruit bits present in the drink. On my next visit, I'll make sure to have another cup of Durian Gatpuccino! Plus, I want to try their Durian Larcepuccino. 


Aside from durian coffee, they also offer Durian Dulce de Leche Cheesecake! I've heard so many good reviews on this cake. I want to have this next time. :) After loving their Durian Gatpuccino, I'm pretty sure I'll also love their cheesecake. I trust their Durian blending skills. 
Chocolate Cake
For non-Durian lovers (boo!), they also offer the common coffee shop drinks and food. They have latte, espresso, capuccino, mocha, frappes, cold and hot blends. 


For food, they offer Banana Cream Pie, Choco Torte with Cream Sauce, Chocolate Decadence, Blueberry Cheesecake and Triple Chocolate Cake. For people with bigger appetites, they also have panini, pasta and other meals. 


If you've totally gone crazy over this coffee shop, you may also purchase Blugre merchandise such as shirts, caps and mugs there. 


For durian lovers like me, make sure you try Blugre on your next visit in Davao or General Santos. I'm warning you though, it is pretty addictive! I love durian! 


Do you know any other cool durian goodies out there aside from coffee and ice cream? Please share!


PS. This is my first Durian ever back in 2009 :) We got the whole fruit for just Php35! Crazy price, I love it :D
More Info on Blugre Coffee:
Address: Bajada Branch, Landco Corporate Center, JP Laurel Avenue, Davao City

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

15 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

I wish I could go there and try it out..I love Durian too!

Unknown said...

wow, you came here huh.. Next time soon, tell me, then i will tour you around.. lot of things you will discover in here..

Jayvie said...

durian galore! hihi. ang cute naman na kinuha sa names nila yung tawag sa coffee. :D

MISSY S said...

my place is just a 3hour ride from davao but we have plenty of durian here. and durian plantations are scattered everywhere! i love durian! you gotta try durian pudding at bigbys too! :)

MISSY S said...

my place is just a 3hour ride from davao but we have plenty of durian here. and durian plantations are scattered everywhere! i love durian! you gotta try durian pudding at bigbys too! :)

Smarla said...

Hi Peachkins!

There are durian sightings in manila too but they're waaay expensive and rare. :) best to have it in davao during their fruit festival season

Smarla said...

Hi Tim!

Yup next time I go there, i'll let you know. I missed out on a lot of sites in davao since I was only there for a brief time

thanks for the offer :)

Smarla said...

Hi Jayvie!

Haha kaya nga eh, gagawa na rin ako ng sarili kong food shop tapos puro names ng kaibigan ko yung food! hehe :)

Smarla said...

Hi Missy!

Durian pudding! wooow i haven't heard of this. where is bigby's? :)

Christine Wang said...

like i've posted before, my family loves durian. the cake looks so awesome! and i am a coffee addict! i KNOW durian only adds to the flavor. yum!!

Smarla said...

Hi Artemis :)

Me too, I love coffee. So durian + coffee = love!

Anonymous said...

I actually can't stand the taste and smell of the fruit. This is actually banned in most airports sure to the repulsive smell and its ability to house small insects between its spikes. Anyways, glad someone enjoys this fruit!

Smarla said...

It's either you love it or you hate it. Most of the people in our family don't like durian. But I love it so I have to eat it when they're not around. :)

Smar said...

I want to go back to Davao just to try that durian cheesecake! :D

Chaipechay said...

after reading this post, i craved for their durian cheesecake =)