Tuesday, January 4, 2011

UP Shopping Center's Mashitta: A Student Foodie Haven

RJ and I definitely love our Alma Mater, but when it comes to food, we take a jeepney ride to University of the Philippines (UP) - the ultimate student foodie haven! 



I've always loved UP. I love the open fields, the trees, the art and of course, the variety of inexpensive food. Without going around so much, you can easily buy yellow corn with butter, siomai, ice cream, tapsilog, green mango with bagoong, squid balls, isaw, kakanin, lutong bahay, etc. Several of these little food stalls and restaurants are located in UP Shopping Center


Since we were both trying to save money for Christmas gifts last December, we opted to celebrate our monthsary in one of our favorite humble restaurants in UP Shopping Center, Mashitta
Fruits in Ice Cream Green Tea and Durian Flavors from UP Shopping Center
Mashitta is a no frills restaurant that serves two types of menu, Japanese and Korean. We simply adore their Egg Roll Kimbap (spelled Kimbab in Mashitta) that we order it every single visit without thinking twice. However, seeing their new menu, we decided to be more adventurous and order 3 dishes we haven't tried before.   
Chicken Curry Udon (Php110)
RJ's craving for curry led us into ordering Chicken Curry Udon. Though the noodles were al dente, we felt it lacked curry flavor. It felt as if the flavor was slipping away from the noodles that RJ thought it would have been better cooked with rice rather than noodles. 
SF Spicy Roll (Php120)
Their Mashitta Kimbap was not available so I succumbed to my spicy instinct and ordered SF Spicy Roll. It a roll with spicy squid bits and topped off with thin dried fish flakes and red hot sauce. Indeed, one cannot deny the heat level of this roll but we felt the distractingly huge chewy fish flakes and the unnecessary drizzles of hot sauce pulled this dish down. 
Bulgogi Kimbap - (Php110)
Finally, since we enjoyed Mashitta's Bulgogi from a previous visit, we also had their Bulgogi Kimbap. Similar to our favorite Egg Roll Kimbap, this one's rolled with fresh vegetables which cleansed the palate nicely and added a crunchy dimension. Unlike our past visit though, the bulgogi was a bit tough and hard to chew. A little less cooking time for the bulgogi though would make this Kimbap worth coming back for. 


Though our adventurous palates weren't rewarded in this Mashitta visit, we'll definitely come back to this restaurant. After all, RJ and I have shared so many stories over those precious Egg Roll Kimbap. I can't wait to come back for our Mashitta comfort zone food. :)


More Info on Mashitta:
Address: UP Diliman Shopping Center, Diliman, Quezon City
Operating Hours: Mon-Sun, 9AM-9PM 
Map: Click Me
Budget: Php100-150
Payment: Cash
Attire: Casual


For other Korean and Japanese restaurants, click here and here


---
Are you looking for a nice restaurant or a vacation spot? I'll be more than willing to help! Go to "Ask Smarla" section and check out my Food & Travel Map. I'll do my best to help you out. :) 

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter~

26 comments:

Smar said...

Yes! :) im working on my next blog post. Thank you so much :)

Shrduh said...

wow thank you! nice blog post, by the way :) looking forward to more food trip posts! :)

Smar said...

Yes they do! :) 

Shrduh said...

oh okay thanks! do they allow take outs?

Smar said...

they have tempura :) but im not too sure if they have kimchi but most likely :)

Shrduh said...

Hi! Do they have tempura and kimchi there? 'Coz I've been craving for kimchi lately :)

Smar said...

hahaha! :D masarap yung ice cream :D

pop champagne said...

the food looks light and healthy! and man I've been having wayy too much ice cream and pie this holiday lol

Theofratus Aurelius said...

makapagbiking nga sa UP one of this days nang matikman yang udon n ayan, ehehehe enge ice cream!!!!
:)

Smar said...

hahahaha me too, i had so much pie this holiday season! i love pies!

Smar said...

Yup masayang magbiking, frisbee, picnic, jogging sa UP :) tapos after, kain ka ng ice cream sa shopping center dun!

Smar said...

I agree! sobrang inggit na inggit ako sa UP friends ko kasi ang mura ng food nila! yesss, i love Bahay ng Alumni. Masarap sa Chocolate Kiss!

mona said...

can i have ice cream hehe ..

justineiji said...

hay naku, this post is so timely! i'm going to UP tomorrow with my friend Berns. Maybe i should drop by Mashita and ask if they have the Egg Roll Kimbap. Otherwise, I can try some ice cream like the ones you're having with RJ! :D

Smar said...

Yup yup, yun yung forever naming inoorder dun :D have you tried mang jimmy's? panalo rin yun. yung ice cream halos katabi if not katabi ng mashitta lang.

wooow UP food trip!

Mai said...

the food in UP is soooo cheap nagulat talaga kami! my former boss na taga-UP brought us there at kumain kami ng isaw at kung ano-ano pa! super sarap! may masarap din daw na mga pagkain sa Bahay ng Alumni...try nio minsan! :D

RN said...

Wow! I love UP Open Field.. Nag photo shoot kami dun and the result was really great!!
penge akong ice cream.. hehe

Smar said...

yes super photogenic ng UP! :) i love it there. did you blog about your photoshoot there? patingin naman!

migi said...

I will definitely go here with Steph. :)

Smar said...

yup yup try the egg rolls! :D then sa tapat may rodic's din :D

arpee said...

Mashita is a good place to eat. I did a blog post about it too http://arpeelazaro.com/2009/02/28/mashitta-means-delicious/

Jayvie said...

aba may pangalan na pala ng kainan na yan hahaha. noong college pa kasi ako, ang tawag lang namin dyan eh karinderya ng koreano. yan ba yung sa may bandang dulo, malapit sa entrance? o baka iba iniisip ko haha.

i miss SC!!! :D

Smar said...

thanks for sharing your post about it Arpee! :D great review!

Smar said...

I know!! dati random korean karinderia place lang siya. hahaha. :)) ngayon lumevel up na at may pangalan na.

Yup yung katapat ng rodic's at malapit dun sa may fruits in ice cream :)

Lloyd said...

I love Mashitta! They serve good food that comes cheap. My favorites are the Bulgogi, Spicy Squid and Ramyun. They have a branch in one nook in Ortigas near UA&P.

Smar said...

Ah really, I didn't know they have another branch in another school. :) Me too I love Mashitta!