Friday, October 22, 2010

EDSA Shangri-La Heat Pt 3: Dessert Bitten by a Sweet Tooth

Got a sweet tooth? 
Then I'm sure you'll be flipping crazy over this post!



I love Japanese food and seafood but my 1st love will always be sweets! In fact, back in 5th grade I used to have a diary that was all about chocolate (my sister can attest to this!). Yes I wrote about chocolate every single day! My dad used to buy me those huge Cadbury story blocks and I would really despair when I'm running low in my chocolate supply. 


So what do you think my reaction was when I saw EDSA Shangri-La Heat's dessert section? 
With big childlike dreamy eyes my mind went, "Let's skip all the way to dessert! Forget the main course!" Of course, my more rational side curtailed my impulsive self with a quick buffet strategy refresher course. 


Don't get me wrong, I loved the main courses in Heat. The desserts were just 100x more tempting! Who wouldn't get lured by their glistening sugary coating and crumbly buttery filling? 


As their dark creamy chocolate and white chocolate gloriously flowed like a river before my eyes, I had to constantly pinch myself to bring me back to reality. I was floating in candy land. :P
As cake after cake after cake proudly paraded their sweet sugar granules before me, I felt like I was 5th grade Smarla again in Katy Perry's California girls music video. 
I took a small piece of almost every dessert Heat had to offer. Just remembering this experience is giving me another sugar high. They were all so distinctly sweet but I have to give special mention to their fruity cheese cakes. They had the perfect amount of cheese in the cake to give it a rich and soft blend of sourness and sweetness. The fruits glazed on top gave each bite a citrus finish. 

Since chocolate fountains had hypnotizing powers, I filled up my plate with cookies and fruits that I could smother with chocolate! YUM! 
To be perfectly honest, I have a small cake threshold, so I had to resort to their other non-cake sweets to satisfy my craving. What other dessert could to the job better than Green Tea Ice Cream? :D You know how I adore Green Tea Ice Cream that I even wrote one whole blog post about it. The moment I see Green Tea ice cream, I tend to have a bias for that restaurant already. Haha. 
But to those who want a healthy sweet ending to their meal, there's also an impressive fruit selection in Heat. Check out their Madonna & child-like banana display - wow!
Heat also traces back to its roots as it provides our favorite Filipino desserts such as the Taho (soft tofu with caramelized sugar) Bibingka (rice cake), and even Puto Bumbong (steamed glutinous rice). They have a steel machine solely for puto bumbong instead of the traditional contraption that uses bamboo cylinders. 
Taho
Puto Bumbong Machine 
I have to admit that the entire meal was pricey for me but I must say it was worth it. The price pushed us to really savor each bite and become adventurous in our food selection. Aside from the pasta and the breads, I think we were able to sample every dish in their buffet selection. We were also able to make 2nd rounds for those dishes that left us speechless (galit-galit muna mode) - grilled lobster, tuna & salmon sashimi, sushi, oysters, kimchi, some of the Middle Eastern curry based dishes.


And of course, despite looking like a tourist in my own country, I shyly asked RJ to take a quick photo of me beside a full poster of EDSA Shangri-La's Italian restaurant, Paparazzi. Haha nakakahiya! Although I think I would like to try the hotel's Japanese restaurant, Senju, first before Paparazzi.
To read up on my earlier posts on EDSA Shangri-La's Heat, click here: Around the World Buffet and Where the Food is Oishi


More Info on EDSA Shangri-La's Heat:
Address: Lobby Lvl. EDSA Shangri-la Hotel, 1 Garden Way, Ortigas Ctr., Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Contact Number: 633-8888 loc 2740 or 2741
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th: 6:00 am - 12:00 mn
                            F, Sa: 6:00 am - 2:00 am


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

9 comments:

Robbie said...

Ohhh gaaawwwwwd. T_T

Those cakes!!! And the green tea ice cream!!!!

Pag nagka-pera ako sa November I swear kakain ako dito kahit mag-isa lang ako! Hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Now that's art! As usual, I suddenly feel hungry.

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

You made three post about this buffet, you must really love it. They don't have lamb chops though ; ( which is a favorite of DH and I.
xoxo
MrsM

Smarla said...

@ Robbie! hahahha diba super grbe nanlaki mata ko sa desserts!

Smarla said...

@ Will, yes I love how they displayed the desserts. they made them look extra yummy :D

Smarla said...

@ Michelle, I have so many pictures kasi from the place, I felt it needed 3 entries. :)

Yeah I don't think we saw any lamb chops :(

Dea said...

WHOA!

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

There's drool on my keyboard na! I live for desserts! Nakakaloka ang pics mo!

I have to try Heat one of these days.

Smarla said...

Hi Dea! Hahahahha! try checking out dessertcomesfirst.com website! I think you'll drool over every page!

D'QXTC said...

wow, everything seem so sweet! The only sweet thing I know how to make are salad, coffee gelo, graham mango cake and a pathetic orange juice. how pitiful is that!