Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cyma: You had me at "Opa!"

A reader emailed me and asked what happened to RJ. Hmm she's right, I haven't written a food post with RJ in it for about 2 weeks now. 
So just to answer the query, RJ and I will be celebrating our monthsary again in a few days. :) But before that, let me share with you our previous monthsary dinner in Cyma - the land of the famous "Opa!" 

I've been dreaming about Cyma for days prior to our monthsary. I was scheduled to have a Cyma dinner with my friend, Gian, (whom I haven't seen since Delish) but he had to back out the day itself since he came down with a flu. 


Of course I understand why he backed out, but I still couldn't shake off the disappointment that I felt. I was seriously looking forward to hearing the famous, "Opa!"


RJ could read through me so he decided to bring me to Cyma for our monthsary. :) Finally, I could hear their "Opa!" We actually ordered two of their flaming dishes just so we can hear them scream "Opa" twice. Haha.


What is this "Opa" you might ask? Here's a video that I took in Cyma: 

As seen in the video, we first ordered the flaming cheese appetizer, their Original Saganaki.
Original Saganaki with Bread (Php200)
Saganaki refers to numerous Greek dishes served on a pan. In Cyma's case, it's a flaming combination of cheeses and refined oil: mozzarella, parmesan and evoo. They are all blended together into one salty, sticky and stretchy flat cheese. You'd have to use the garlic bread to scoop up the cheese off the burning hot pan. 


Since RJ and I are both cheese fans, this was an instant hit in our table. We kept racing each other for the bread so that we could devour more of this cheesy dip. This dish served as a preview in the food "stealing" that will occur in our table that evening. 
Kotopoulo Lemonato or Greek Chicken Adobo (Php410)
We wanted more of the Saganaki to fill our hungry stomachs but when the Kotopoulo Lemonato or the Greek Chicken Adobo was served on our table, we started wondering if we could actually finish the entire dish. 


I still blame this dish's fist size servings of potatoes for being easily full that evening. I had to keep inhaling to help the food digest faster (as if that helps!) so that I could eat more of the moist chicken that filled my mouth with so much citrus and herby flavors. The meat's lemon and oregano flavors were wonderfully complemented by the sprinkled feta cheese cubes.
Moussaka (Php250)
Since I took so long finishing my piece of Greek Chicken Adobo, RJ went ahead and took his equal piece of the Moussaka


This dish is the other culprit behind my heavy stomach that evening! In fact, I kept saying that our Cyma dinner was equivalent to 4 meals: dinner, and next day's breakfast, lunch and dinner. Seriously, I wasn't hungry even during dinner time the following night.


This Moussaka is extremely filling with its layered seasoned ground pork and beef topped with roasted Japanese eggplant and Greek bechamel sauce. I was so full already but I couldn't get enough of its extremely creamy sauce. I then had to pause every 10 seconds to make room for the next bite. 


RJ saw how slow I was eating and took the opportunity to "steal" half of my share of the Moussaka! Whaaaat?! Woah, you did not! His hand was so fast that I couldn't stop him especially since I was moving in slow motion with my giant stomach. 
Extra Pita Bread (Php50)
I looked up at him in disbelief for taking my Moussaka. He simply laughed and offered more of the whole wheat pita bread in consolation. 
Flaming Mangoes served with Vanilla Ice Cream (Php250)
The shock written all over my face stayed on so RJ decided to order another flaming dish to make me smile. For dessert, we had the Flaming Mangoes served with Vanilla Ice Cream on the side


With the waiters' heart pounding, "Opa!", I forgot all about the food stealing incident. RJ also gave me more than half of the sweet and incredibly delicate mango. The cold, full cream vanilla ice cream together with the warm mango gave a nice alternating hot, cold, hot, cold feeling in my mouth. 


This was definitely a delicious way to end our meal. A little pricey for my liking but the excitement from the "Opa!" distracted me from realizing these things. 
RJ might always take advantage of how slow I eat and steal my share of the food. But who cares, he also stole my heart. HAHAHA! WTH! (And you blame me for the extra pounds you've gained? :P)


Plus, Cyma's heart thumping "Opa!" kept distracting me from the fact that RJ stole my share of Moussaka.


Thank you Cyma! We had a really hearty and heavy meal in your restaurant. Please serve the dishes on separate plates for us next time. Add a zapper too whenever RJ tries to "steal" my share. :P Of course I'm kidding RJ! Peace!


Belated happy monthsary to us! Looking forward to another monthsary in a few days. :)

More Info on Cyma:
Address: 2/Lvl. Eastwood Mall Veranda, E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave., Bagumbayan, Libis., Quezon City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
How to Commute to Cyma: Click Here
Budget: Php350-400/head
Contact Number: (02) 709-1955
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Other Branches: Alabang Town Center, Trinoma, Greenbelt 2, Shangri-La Mall, Boracay, Cebu


Other Monthsary Dinner Restaurants:


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

24 comments:

Jayvie said...

advance happy monthsary! hihi

naks! he stole your heart! nanuod ka na ba ng My Amnesia Girl kaya lumilinya ka ng ganyan? kidding :D that was sweet Ms. Banapple :D

and oh! i know the feeling when you're so full even until the day after, feeling mo busog ka pa din :D

giant stomach? where? haha :D

Smarla said...

Hahaha thank you! :)

Hindi pa nga eh, kaya nag aamnesia girl lines na lang ako! gusto ko na mapanood. wala pang mahanap na free time.

hahaha talagang ms. banapple na pangalan ko, pwede na ako maging endorser. :)

Yes, grbe talaga, hindi talaga ako halos makakain til the next day.

And whenever we eat out, i make it a point to wear something loose para di halata. my stomach really bloats when im full!

Gela said...

i'm not really into Greek cuisine, but the stuff you ordered actually looks tempting! i've only eaten there once a looong time ago, i don't even remember what i ordered. maybe i'll shock my boyfriend sometime, & make yaya at Cyma!


boat ride through the sky

Nadine Natalin said...

OHHH MY looking at those yummy photos made me hungry. You should try Solomos Angel Hair next time ;)

cafémobility said...

happy mensary dear.... might i suggest Antonio's for a romantic dinner?

Marj said...

hi there! i love cyma too. if you happen to go to Cebu. Cyma is in ayala terraces. :-)

noone said...

happy monthsary!! And love the atmosphere at that restaurant! I heart your restaurant posts cuz they're always so interesting

AVA TE-ZABAT♥ said...

i love CYMA!!:) super good food. I love their cheese with bread :) and opa! haha

Jenmarie said...

Yum! The food looks so good and the place is beautiful! Perfect for a date night!

Catherine said...

Oooh so much food! My son loves Greek cuisine. Everything looks delicious. Wonderful pictures.
I hope you had a wonderful, beautiful holiday!
Cheers~

Smarla said...

Hi Gela!

This is the first time I've had greek food and I really loved it. :) I think you will too. I think it was tweaked a bit to suit the Filipino palate.

Smarla said...

Hi Nadine,

Hmmm where's Solomos Angel Hair? :) Thanks for this, I'm adding this to my list of restaurants to go to :)

Smarla said...

Hi John Ray, thanks! :)

I haven't tried Antonio's. Sige, I'll add this din to my list :) thanks!

Smarla said...

Hi Marj,

The last time I was in Cebu was back in 2009. I had such a great time but I was unable to tour the place much. I only had a quick city tour. When I'm there, I'll devour all that lechon and puso. :)

Smarla said...

Hi Pop Champagne,

Thank you so much! :) Yes the restaurant's really nice. It's a great place to have a quiet dinner since the place isn't too big and it has a great ambiance

Smarla said...

Hi Jen!

Yes the place is really great for a date. And the food is so filling but you won't stop eating since it's really flavorful

Smarla said...

Hi Catherine,

Thank you so much! Your blog is really an inspiration. I'm now baking! I actually got some herbs so I might also try and whip up some main courses. I'll use some of your recipes when I cook. :)

Robbie said...

Opa!!!

I love Greek food! Their sauces are to die for! Haven't been to Cyma yet but will definitely try so I can hear their Opa na rin. Hehehe.

Smarla said...

Haha yup masarap nga greek food! :D super nag enjoy kami. lalo na't may sigaw pa ng opa parati! hahaha.

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

Uy I was just there last Monday. All I ate was the watermelon lamb salad!
xoxo
MrsM

PauL said...

wOw.. im hungry... grrrr.. lol hey i just add u sa fb..haha :) i just typed smarla and there it goes..:)

Smarla said...

Hi Paul! :)

Sorry which invite? Pag di ko kasi kilala, I don't accept the invite. Sorry!! Pakilala ka lang sa invite so I'll accept it :)

Smarla said...

Hi Michelle!

Masarap ba yun? Di ko natry yun. :)

waqaoatnd91 said...

Recently I was extremely low on cash and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money on the internet! I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I've been far more able to pay my bills!! I'm so glad, I did this!!! With all the financial stress these years, I really hope all of you will give it a chance. - al6a