When you're having a bad day, it helps to have a surprising slice of a very happy cake.
My Thursday didn't start on a positive note as I found myself too emotional over a close friend's problem. I became too emotionally involved that I considered postponing my meetings for the day. However, I couldn't pass up the opportunity of seeing 2 bakers in action in the kitchen, especially the sister tandem behind The Cake Shack.
So after psyching myself, I visited Genine and Guillain in their lovely abode in Quezon City.
I met Genine in a food writing workshop I attended, where I learned that she and her sister courageously put up their own cake business, The Cake Shack. It wasn't the usual right-after-college-move of most graduates so my curiosity was immediately aroused.
Thus, when I received an invite to sample their cupcakes, I asked Genine if I could watch them on their normal day as bakers and cake decorators.
Since Genine knew that I also bake, she invited me help her out in the kitchen as well. Of course I'd love to!
After helping her bake a batch of their famous chocolate cupcakes, she also showed me how to operate a piping bag. I haven't really decorated a cake before aside from my funny fondant cake, so I looked like an amateur next to Genine. Haha.
We later went upstairs and met up with her sister Guillain for the 2nd half of the day, cake decorating. Guillain is in charge of all fondant creations such as these lovely Christmas cupcake toppers. Aren't they all adorable? And they're edible too!
Here's the fondant creation Guillain was working on during my visit. It's a replica of the avatar of her graphic designer friend.
Unlike Genine's warm kitchen, Guillain works in an airconditioned work space in order to control the moisture of her fondant masterpieces. She kiddingly remarked that Genine's workplace is hell while hers is heaven.
Amazed at the intricate details of her work, I asked Guillain to show me how to make a fondant Christmas tree. Guillain makes it look so easy so I bravely placed my unfinished tree beside hers. Mine is located at the rightmost and I must admit, it looks so funny beside Guillain's masterpieces. Haha, I need more practice.
We later got back to our cake and I tried my hands on decorating it. They gave me complete artistic freedom since they told me that they'll give me the entire cake. Wow! That's one tall cake for such a small girl like me. I love it! :)
I still need a lot of practice in the cake decorating department but this cake made me very happy since it was made for me by Genine and Guillain. Thank you so much!
Aside from the cake, they also gave me a piece of their Famous Chocolate Cupcake. A lot of drama went in to perfecting this cake. I guess all that drama was worth it since it was moist and chocolatey, just the way I like it. Click here for more on that drama story: click!
And of course, as soon as I got home, I took a slice of our very Happy Rainbow Cake! It's such a happy cake that I actually forgot why I was in distraught at the start of the day. It's so gosh darn colorful, you won't be able to resist sporting at least one smile.
So if you're having a bad day, maybe all you need is a slice of this Happy Rainbow Cake from The Cake Shack. :)
Once again, thank you Genine and Guillain for such a fun afternoon. I went home happy. :)
Other Fondant Cakes from The Cake Shack:
More Info on The Cake Shack:
Website: Click Here
Email: cakeshackcakery@gmail.com
Contact Number: Guillain: +639493356177 (Smart)
Genine: +639179182185 (Globe)
Other Cakes by The Cake Shack: Click Here
Cupcakes by The Cake Shack: Click Here
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~
So after psyching myself, I visited Genine and Guillain in their lovely abode in Quezon City.
![]() |
| Genine |
Thus, when I received an invite to sample their cupcakes, I asked Genine if I could watch them on their normal day as bakers and cake decorators.
Since Genine knew that I also bake, she invited me help her out in the kitchen as well. Of course I'd love to!
After helping her bake a batch of their famous chocolate cupcakes, she also showed me how to operate a piping bag. I haven't really decorated a cake before aside from my funny fondant cake, so I looked like an amateur next to Genine. Haha.
We later went upstairs and met up with her sister Guillain for the 2nd half of the day, cake decorating. Guillain is in charge of all fondant creations such as these lovely Christmas cupcake toppers. Aren't they all adorable? And they're edible too!
![]() |
| The Final Product |
![]() |
| My attempt at making a fondant Christmas tree (rightmost) |
Amazed at the intricate details of her work, I asked Guillain to show me how to make a fondant Christmas tree. Guillain makes it look so easy so I bravely placed my unfinished tree beside hers. Mine is located at the rightmost and I must admit, it looks so funny beside Guillain's masterpieces. Haha, I need more practice.
We later got back to our cake and I tried my hands on decorating it. They gave me complete artistic freedom since they told me that they'll give me the entire cake. Wow! That's one tall cake for such a small girl like me. I love it! :)
Guillain fixed my fondant Christmas tree and placed it on top of the cake along with a Santa with milk and cookies. They look so adorable in their winter wonderland!
![]() |
| Guillain and Genine |
Aside from the cake, they also gave me a piece of their Famous Chocolate Cupcake. A lot of drama went in to perfecting this cake. I guess all that drama was worth it since it was moist and chocolatey, just the way I like it. Click here for more on that drama story: click!
And of course, as soon as I got home, I took a slice of our very Happy Rainbow Cake! It's such a happy cake that I actually forgot why I was in distraught at the start of the day. It's so gosh darn colorful, you won't be able to resist sporting at least one smile.
So if you're having a bad day, maybe all you need is a slice of this Happy Rainbow Cake from The Cake Shack. :)
Once again, thank you Genine and Guillain for such a fun afternoon. I went home happy. :)
Other Fondant Cakes from The Cake Shack:
![]() |
| For the Philippine Pedriatic Society |
![]() |
| Santorini Cake on Top of a Hill |
Website: Click Here
Email: cakeshackcakery@gmail.com
Contact Number: Guillain: +639493356177 (Smart)
Genine: +639179182185 (Globe)
Other Cakes by The Cake Shack: Click Here
Cupcakes by The Cake Shack: Click Here
~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~















29 comments:
I've always wanted to make one of those super colorful rainbow cakes! They are SO fun!
Yes they're also super fun to make :) i smiled when i cut the cake open :D it's such a happy cake!
Thanks for giving me a piece! I haven't tried it pa because I was full after dinner last night but I'm excited to cut into it later. And the choco cupcake looks so moist. Nom nom nom.
yessss, that rainbow cake is all sorts of awesome!! i always see those rainbow cakes around Tumblr, but i never knew somebody here in Manila actually makes them! i'll definitely check them out. maybe i'll have one made for my boyfriend's birthday. :-?
thank you for yet another great find, Smarla!
boat ride through the sky
can they customize cakes that has the formula for the string and M-theory?
Hala! The pictures are so tempting. :( It's holiday na talaga!! I can't help myself not to eat.
And yes, the happy cake makes me smile. I want one!
P.S. Parang halos lahat ng comment ko merong "I want one". Haha.
Hi Lorra,
You're welcome :) Yeah ang dami niyong ham na binili ni elbert. Naubos niyo ba yun?
Yes super moist ng chocolate cupcake! sa picture pa lang kitang kita how moist it is :) nagugutom nga ako just looking at it.
PS. Sa iba pang bloggers mamemeet ko this week, im sharing the cake to you guys too :) super jumbo cake talaga!
Hi Gela,
Why not? :) Just email them to inquire. Super friendly nila and kabatch natin si Genine so madaling makaconnect with them.
Plus masarap yung cake. So hindi lang siya cute, masarap din!
Hi John Ray,
I think they can. Just show them a picture and mabusisi talaga si Guillain so I'm sure she can. :)
Btw John Ray,
Ang nerd naman ng cake na gusto mo! Hahahaha :P
Hahaha ako rin, lumalakas appetite ko ngayon. Building eating stamina for noche buena? hahaha
Haha, kahit pag nagbabasa ako ng ibang food blogs, sobrang I keep saying, shuux gusto ko nyan! ang haba na ng restos-to-visit list ko!
Awesome post! :D
And I can attest to the oh-so-yummy moist chocolate cupcakes. I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate cakes, but I LOVED theirs. (And I'm not just saying this because I'm friends with Genin. :P)
Hi Smarla. Thank you for returning to my site! I love cakes, too. The problem, I don;t have the necessary skills to make one. I feel so "inggit" to people like you and your friends who have the "hands" for baking. It's my dream to be one. Are there any baking basics that I need to know??
Great blog!
krizza
krizza-lifestipsandtricks.blogspot.com
ang sarap naman ng cake, how i wish i can learn how to make someday hehe
The rainbow cake looks like it took a lot of effort, iba iba kasing colors per layer. The choco cupcake looks so sinful =)
Hi Bea,
Yes super moist ng cupcakes! It was really nice - and I'm also not saying that just because I'm Genine's friend. :)
Ikaw ba yung friend nila na di kumakain ng chocolate cake pero nung natikman niya ito, nag iba yung isip?
Hi Krizza,
Baking basics? Hmm well right now I'm still not an expert so I learn a lot from watching youtube and following the recipes.
Later on, once you get the science behind it, you can start tweaking the recipes na :)
Hi Mona,
Madali lang naman magbake, you just need time talaga :D and practice makes perfect!
Hi Badet,
Yes effort talaga kasi iisa isahin mo yung bawat layer ng cake. Kaya it's so tall :) Each layer is a cake in itself.
pangarap kong mag-bake...di kasi ako marunong but I'll try next year..
Wow, thank you all for the compliments! They're all very encouraging. :)
Gela, we're actually giving The Big Gay Rainbow cake at an introductory price for 1,500.00Php (only until December 2010) =)
Smarla, we had no idea you had a bad day. You're always welcome here, you know! :D
The Cake Shack
ay eto pala yun hihi. super duper cute ng mga cupcakes! hihi. and ang cute din nung tree na ginawa mo :P
i've never heard of a rainbow cake! it looks so yummy!!!!
WOWOW what a cake! they are so talented! my sister used to be a cake decorator so i know first hand how hard it is!!
Yes, Smarla. That's me! :P
Hi Peachkins,
I'm also starting to learn how to bake. Like you, I'm going to take baking more seriously next year :D
Thank you so much Genine :) hanging out with you guys made me happy. Plus your dog is super malambing!
Hi Artemis,
Yes it is so difficult since it really entails a lot of focus and attention to details. And once you stain the fondant, it's hard to cover it up. :)
Hi Jayvie,
Awwww salamat! naappreciate mo yung tabingi kong fondant christmas tree! hahaha
diba ang cool, dun lang din ako nakakita ng rainbow cake in actual. Akala ko pang-tumblr lang yun. :P
Hi Bea,
wow, I heard so much about you from the sisters. :) I think it was really Genine and Guillain's shining moment when they learned how much you loved their chocolate cake.
Post a Comment