Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cello's Doughnuts and Dips: Soft, Sweet, Unique - Perfect Doughnuts!

Okay, I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of doughnuts. I usually take just one bite and then share it with someone since I usually find doughnuts too sweet and/or "nakaka-umay." 
However, when Cello's Doughnuts and Dips came into the picture, I instantly became a doughnut convert. 
RJ and I went here after eating in the new Italian restaurant near Katipunan, Derf's. We were supposed to go home already but it started to drizzle. We then found shelter in Cello's Doughnuts and Dips.


It's been awhile since I ate in Cello's and being back here brought about nostalgic memories. I've been frequenting Katipunan ever since, so I was able to witness Cello's beginnings. I actually feel I grew up with Cello's. Now they have a total of 5 branches: Katipunan, Taft, SM North Edsa, Alabang Town Center and Davao. Awww, they grow up so fast! :)
When Cello's Doughnuts and Dips first opened its pioneer branch in Katipunan, good reviews about it spread like forest fire amongst my friends. They kept raving about how soft the bread is and how fun the flavors are. So on my way home back in 2004, I bought a box of doughnuts. Impressed by the quality of their doughnuts, I finished the whole box by myself!


6 years later, I find myself in Cello's with RJ and still drooling over their doughnuts. I squatted to gaze at these precious doughnuts while RJ was at the counter. I could hear the doughnuts screaming, "Pick me, pick me!" as I admired each one. After an internal debate on which doughnut to pick, RJ and I finally sat down and enjoyed our order.


Continuing the nostalgic mode, I chose the first flavor I ever tried from the store - Oreo Doughnut. :)
Oreo Doughnut (Php25)
It was love at first bite back in 2004 and up to now, it still makes my heart leap. The crushed oreo cookies blend so well with the subtle sweet taste of the bread. Even though oreo cookies are sweet, this doughnut has just the right amount of sweetness. Unlike other doughnut stores, you don't have to drink water after every bite to wash away the overpowering sweetness. Cello's doughnuts' perfect sweetness allows you to savor every bite. 
As you can see in the photo above, their bread is so soft & fluffy that it almost melts in your mouth like water. YUUUM!  

I also wanted to be more adventurous so I picked a flavor I haven't tried yet - Choco Chip Peanut Butter Doughnut. I've seen it before but I always try to shy away from it since it seems too sweet for me. I decided to risk it anyway and order it. 
Choco Chip Peanut Butter (Php25)
Surprisingly, I also really enjoyed this flavor. The peanut butter they used isn't overwhelming. Plus, the chocolate chips add a nice finish after every bite. 


RJ also ordered two doughnuts. He chose Chocolate Sprinkles and my favorite Cello's doughnut flavor, Cheese!
Chocolate Sprinkles (Php25)
Cheese (Php25)
I love all their flavors but I always keep coming back to my true love, Cheese! Apparently, this is a crowd favorite and Cello's signature flavor. It's a honey glazed doughnut topped with premium cheese glaze. As the website describes it, it has the perfect blend of sweetness and the taste of cheese. 


Cello's original doughnuts cost Php25 each while their premium flavors Php38. You can purchase a box of 6 of their original doughnuts for Php135. They also have mini doughnuts or cocktail doughnuts sold at Php165 for a box of 15. For more information about their other doughnut flavors, you can check them out in their website


By the way, the rain didn't continue to pour so our whole plan of finding shelter in Cello's Doughnuts and Dips was a failure. But our visit here surely was nothing short of perfection. Probably fate was simply directing us to this shop to give our lunch a perfect sweet ending. :)


More Info on Cello's Doughtnuts & Dips:
Address: 2nd Flr, Eastwest Building Bank Mercury Drug Building, Katipunan Avenue, Quezon City (across Ateneo de Manila University)
Contact Number: 928-2649
Delivery Number: 212-1212
Operating Hours: Mon-Sat 7:00 AM-10:00 PM, Sun & Holidays 7:00 AM-8:00 PM


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

18 comments:

Robbie said...

I love Cello's!

They also have another branch in DLSU, ground floor of Burgundy Transpacific. That's where I used to live back in college so I always buy Cello's for breakfast. :D And yes, their Cheese doughnut is my favorite din! Yun lang lagi kong order.

Smarla said...

Yup super sarap ng Cheese nila! :)

wow ang saya, bababa ka lang, nandun na! :)

cafémobility said...

by far, this happens to be my fave doughnut.

Smarla said...

Me too! :) They're the best doughnuts I've tasted :)

Gela said...

i've always found the smell of Cello's too sweet, actually, but i do love that they've got a lot of fun flavors to choose from! come to think of it, i haven't had one since 2008. maybe i'll drop by sometime!


boat ride through the sky

Anonymous said...

I used to buy Cello's near DLSU three years ago, nung mga 25 pesos pa lang isang piece. Pero ngayon, masyado na silang mahal para magfit sa budget ko. Sayang, masarap pa naman. :(

Anonymous said...

I used to buy Cello's near DLSU three years ago, nung mga 25 pesos pa lang isang piece. Pero ngayon, masyado na silang mahal para magfit sa budget ko. Sayang, masarap pa naman. :(

Peggy said...

Looks like a delicious doughnut place! It must have definitely been fate!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love cello's too!

Smarla said...

Hi Gela! :) It's sweet but for me the sweetness is just right. I can't take in any other doughnut from the famous brands.

Smarla said...

Hi Will!

Dati 16pesos nga lang eh kaya kaya kong bumili ng buong box. :P

Smarla said...

Hi Peggy,

Welcome to my blog! :) Yes, the fates directed us back to this store. Do try this place :)

Smarla said...

Hi Peachkins! Yaaay! :) They're the best doughnuts for me

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

Oh I haven't tried this donut yet! Because I am staying away from food that would add more pounds to my body lol

xoxo
MrsM

Smarla said...

Hi Michelle. I can relate, hahaha! :) Eating too much is taking its toll on me :) had a stomach ache for two days from overeating. i love it anyway. :)

Sharina said...

I love them too!I love the chocolate and the cheese:)

How much are they now? Are they still P25 ba or much more expensive?

Smarla said...

Hi Sharina!

The regular donuts are priced at P25 while the premium ones at P30 :)

dianna19 said...

Recently I was really, really low on money and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money on the internet! I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I've been far more able to pay my bills!! I'm so glad, I did this!! - hvxb